• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sed26
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2007

Beginner Tips

Ok so I am going to recite the things that I already know on how to hit the speed bag getting the basic rythm. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1. Keep your elbows high
    2. Hit the bag with the underside of your fist on the side of the pinky finger
    3. Count 3 beats and hit again
    4. Hit the bag in a downward motion

Right now I can hit the speed bag pretty fast, but there's room for improvement because this guy I saw hit it faster but he's no expert just a normal guy who know how to hit it. Is there anything else I need to know? By the way I would've never known there was an actual forum for speedbags so kudos to that.

I have a question. What sort of health benefits do you get from hitting the speed bag? Like where does it trim fat or anything else it may do?
    - sed26
    Last edited by sed26; 06-27-2007, 02:23 PM. Reason: Adding question
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

1. Keep your elbows high Well, you want to keep your arms as parallel to the ground as possible, but yes,.
    2. Hit the bag with the underside of your fist on the side of the pinky finger There are several ways to hit the bag, depending on the punch, you can hit with the pinky side of your fist, straight on the knuckles with the outer three knuckles for front hits. For rear hits, you hit with your innermost knuckle. Side hits are kind of the same as rear hits.
    3. Count 3 beats and hit again Yes, that is one of many possible hits.
    4. Hit the bag in a downward motion Try to get in the habit of hitting with your first in a flat motion, again as parallel to the ground. This will depend on the kind of hit though.

Read Alan's site at
    http://www.speedbagcentral.com read his site thoroughly and make sure to check out the multimedia.

Keep coming back, post some videos and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Comment

• sed26
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2007

^ Thanks for your reply. OK I just had another short speed bag session at the gym today. Have a few more questions.

1. Doing the basic 3 count hit, do you hit the bag with the same part of your fist on both hands, or do you hit it with a certain part of your left hand and hit it kind of differently on the right? I ask because the bag swirves off to the side and I have to start over.

2. Do you hit the bag with your fist sideways or with your fist knuckles facing the ceiling? Because when I hit the bag, my left had is sideways, but my right hand knuckles are kind of like I'm using an ice pick or something.

Chris what did you mean when you said try to hit the bag in a flat motion? I'm still trying to master the 3 count hit so I want to perfect that technique before moving on.

By the way the speed bag is kind of addictive. When I learned it I had so much fun, the next day I was dying to get to the gym. I have to buy one for myself.

- Thanks again

Comment

• jaguiler
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2007

welome to the forum !!

it is exciting because there is soo much more to learn.... chk out everyone's videos !!! find a way to tape yourself as welll so we can give you pointers... everyone is kind and helpful....

I know speedbagforum... who would have thought it ? it is cool though... because we all have different lives and hobbies, with the speedbag in common - kind of cool !

I personally work with computers and participate in a few Land Rover offroading forums....

welcome again !!! make this site one of your daily visits.... and ask questions !

PS - SED focus on controlling the bag and your hits...start slow..speed will come...

Comment

• BillyMack
          • Sep 2006

Ya man, welcome!!

1. Start out slow
          2. Think about economy of movement
          3. Don't be afraid to try new things

I wouldn't worry about mastering one thing before you move on. You could learn some bad habits this way. Just keep hitting it differently until it feels right and you have perfect control....

Comment

• Chris M
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Mar 2006

Chris what did you mean when you said try to hit the bag in a flat motion?
            What I meant was that if you have your elbows up, try to swing your forearms flat, as in parallel to the ground as possible.

This habit will help you out when you go to slightly more complex stuff like reverse hits.

As Billy said, economy of motion. This helps hit faster and with less effort.

Check out the video section of the forum too. There are lots of good videos there.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...