• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Red
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2017

Balazs platform is up

Got my new platform up. Wall is braced for it; sheetrock is not up. Decided not to wait as sometimes these projects take me years.

With the platform all the way up the fat part of my new 'Rusty's' blue bag is level with my upper lip. I wish I had a little more height in my basement. Tried to tell the wife when she had the house built to have a ten foot ceiling but she didn't listen. Now she agrees with me but the house is built and that's the way it is.

Attached Files
  • REB
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Old Red View Post
    Got my new platform up. Wall is braced for it; sheetrock is not up. Decided not to wait as sometimes these projects take me years.

With the platform all the way up the fat part of my new 'Rusty's' blue bag is level with my upper lip. I wish I had a little more height in my basement. Tried to tell the wife when she had the house built to have a ten foot ceiling but she didn't listen. Now she agrees with me but the house is built and that's the way it is.

http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...1&d=1490285232
    Very nice set up. I regret not getting the Maple drum with my Balazs though.
    I would build a foot platform to stand on out of plywood using 2 x 4 or 2 x 3 or whatever height would make you feel just right with the bag. If ya can't bring Mohammed to the mountain, bring the mountain to Mohammed...( with apologies for the Mid-Eastern reference )

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

I love the Pink Panther balloons!!!

I have a few simple suggestions for the height issue.

1) Upgrade your swivel. I'm surprised the Balazs came with that swivel, it looks like the ones made in Pakistan. That swivel hangs down on that big loop way to far. You can raise the bag up an inch or more with a different swivel.

2) Shorten the loop on the Rusty blue. Zip tie or stitch the loop to half its current length. That will both raise the sweet spot and help get the bag onto that 24" platform.

-Rusty
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Old Red
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2017

The 'stitch in the loop trick', I recall reading that; simple trick i will do . Thanks.

And because I knew I was getting the Rusty blue that's thirty inches of maple up there.

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

Nice on the 30" maple! I thought the Rusty blue looked a little small in that pic. Just an illusion because I'm used to seeing 24" platforms.

I wish I could recommend a different swivel. I'm sort of looking for recommendations myself. I have a ball swivel I really like that is wearing more than expected. And I have a vintage ball swivel that looks perfect but is way too jumpy. Then I have a chain link swivel that works pretty well but its a PITA to change bags. And I also have a bunch of other junk I don't use.

-Rusty
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• REB
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2017

Change swivels? That is good too. (If you don't mind putting more screw holes in that fine maple drum

Comment

• Lee Chapman
              • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Old Red View Post

http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...1&d=1490285232
              Yea baby
              If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
              So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

Comment

• jaja6009
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2016

Awesome setup!

The Balaz platform was my second choice. If we are allowed to install one at another station at work I am gonna recommend the Balaz when we pool our money together.

How is the platform when hitting it? Any vibration or reverberation? My setup is on a wall that shakes. A contractor said there's not much I can do without a major rebuild of the wall.

Happy hitting.

Comment

• Lee Chapman
                  • Feb 2017

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
                  Awesome setup!

The Balaz platform was my second choice. If we are allowed to install one at another station at work I am gonna recommend the Balaz when we pool our money together.

How is the platform when hitting it? Any vibration or reverberation? My setup is on a wall that shakes. A contractor said there's not much I can do without a major rebuild of the wall.

Happy hitting.
                  Hi

I was having some work done on our property, and a contractor turned a stud wall into a supporting wall by sheeting the entire wall in one inch ply before putting the plasterboard up. It might be worth thinking about.

Cheers
                  L
                  If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
                  So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

Comment

• Old Red
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Mar 2017

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
                    Everything seems pretty tight. I doubled and braced the studs. Also squared the stud ends and blocked them. I have some strips of 1/2" plywood laying about; I may inset them at an angle across the studs as well before I cover the wall.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Old Red
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                      I love the Pink Panther balloons!!!
                      I harp on the wife almost every day about not having a higher ceiling and being able to do olympic lifts in the basement. I even had to get my squat rack cut down to fit. We weren't married when she built the house so my advice wasn't always taken.* The living room has a 12' ceiling; I should move all my equipment up there.

* And as y'all know she doesn't listen to me now that we are married.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...