• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IronCannibal
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2017

New bag! Balazs Lazer bag

I get a stupid number of packages everyday, so inevitably, I forget what's coming.

Got a nice surprise today: a brand new speed bag, one of Balazs Lazer bags. Don't get me wrong, I love my Cleto Reyes bags, but I'm also an equipment junkie. Yep, I have a sickness. If it's a piece of equipment related to a sport or hobby that I enjoy, then I have to have it. Sooner or later, I'll end up owning a ridiculous number of bags, just because.

So, this Balazs bag arrives, and immediately I want to play with it, but Balazs has other ideas.

First, fill the bag to 2 pounds and let it sit for 15 minutes, occasionally rolling it and kneading it on a hard surface. Okay. I only managed to wait about 5 minutes.

Then, fill it to 4 pounds and repeat. Again, 5 mins was all I could handle.

THEN... fill to 6 psi and back it off to 5 psi EXACTLY. Okay, done.

Downstairs I go, and pop it on the swivel.

The Lazer bag is totally different than the Cleto. It's very round, and has very little taper from the hook to the belly of the bag. Whereas, the Cleto has a nice, longish, shape.

The Lazer bag feels every bit as nice as the Cleto Reyes bag.

I am impressed.

Whether or not I prefer the stumpy round Lazer bag or the long, elegant Cleto bag has yet to be determined. I've had the Lazer bag all of an hour so far.

Will update when I have a more formed opinion.

Last edited by IronCannibal; 04-04-2017, 02:35 PM.
  • Lee Chapman
    • Feb 2017

Originally posted by IronCannibal View Post
    I get a stupid number of packages everyday, so inevitably, I forget what's coming.

Got a nice surprise today: a brand new speed bag, one of Balazs Lazer bags. Don't get me wrong, I love my Cleto Reyes bags, but I'm also an equipment junkie. Yep, I have a sickness. If it's a piece of equipment related to a sport or hobby that I enjoy, then I have to have it. Sooner or later, I'll end up owning a ridiculous number of bags, just because.

So, this Balazs bag arrives, and immediately I want to play with it, but Balazs has other ideas.

First, fill the bag to 2 pounds and let it sit for 15 minutes, occasionally rolling it and kneading it on a hard surface. Okay. I only managed to wait about 5 minutes.

Then, fill it to 4 pounds and repeat. Again, 5 mins was all I could handle.

THEN... fill to 6 psi and back it off to 5 psi EXACTLY. Okay, done.

Downstairs I go, and pop it on the swivel.

The Lazer bag is totally different than the Cleto. It's very round, and has very little taper from the hook to the belly of the bag. Whereas, the Cleto has a nice, longish, shape.

The Lazer bag feels every bit as nice as the Cleto Reyes bag.

I am impressed.

Whether or not I prefer the stumpy round Lazer bag or the long, elegant Cleto bag has yet to be determined. I've had the Lazer bag all of an hour so far.

Will update when I have a more formed opinion.

I got the small, and really like it. I also bought the extra small. Well the postage was the same, so it was rude not to.

Cheers
    L
    If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
    So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

Comment

• Old Red
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2017

I placed an order with Balazs last night for a heavy bag holder and other items. This morning I almost called to add one of these to my order. I'm interested in the medium. Is this the small 'Sonic'?

Sure is round.

Comment

• Lee Chapman
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by Old Red View Post
        I placed an order with Balazs last night for a heavy bag holder and other items. This morning I almost called to add one of these to my order. I'm interested in the medium. Is this the small 'Sonic'?

Sure is round.
        Yes that's correct I got a small (sonic) and extra small (peanut)

Haven't got the peanut much, as I'm not ready for it yet. Need to get My skill level up some more.

Cheers
        L

Comment

• IronCannibal
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2017

Both bags are mediums. The Cleto in the background is the small (XS? not sure).

After a couple days with both, I have to say I still prefer the medium Cleto. Both are just top notch bags, but the belly of the Balazs is too high for me. It's too round. I like the shape and rebound characteristics of the Cleto better.

If someone ever asked me if I would recommend the Balazs, I would enthusiastically say "Yes". Had I started out on the Balazs bag, I would have been used to how it rebounds and the roundness of the bag, and then the Cleto would have been the odd one to me. But, it was the other way around.

To Balazs' credit, they included a very detailed sheet on how to fill the bag, and even a air pressure gauge. Because of that, I found out, I had been running my Cleto at around 3 pounds. Thought that was mildly interesting.

And I've learned, 5 psi is too hard. I need to let air out of both.

I'm a boxing style bagger, so I pound the bags hard and try to make my arms jello. 3 - 5 rounds (3 minutes each) and when I'm done, I can't keep my hands up.

If I continue to run the bags at 5 psi, I'll have to start wrapping my hands tight. They're brutal on the small bones at full tilt.

Comment

• Lee Chapman
            • Feb 2017

Both bags are mediums. The Cleto in the background is the small (XS? not sure).

After a couple days with both, I have to say I still prefer the medium Cleto. Both are just top notch bags, but the belly of the Balazs is too high for me. It's too round. I like the shape and rebound characteristics of the Cleto better.

If someone ever asked me if I would recommend the Balazs, I would enthusiastically say "Yes". Had I started out on the Balazs bag, I would have been used to how it rebounds and the roundness of the bag, and then the Cleto would have been the odd one to me. But, it was the other way around.

To Balazs' credit, they included a very detailed sheet on how to fill the bag, and even a air pressure gauge. Because of that, I found out, I had been running my Cleto at around 3 pounds. Thought that was mildly interesting.

And I've learned, 5 psi is too hard. I need to let air out of both.

I'm a boxing style bagger, so I pound the bags hard and try to make my arms jello. 3 - 5 rounds (3 minutes each) and when I'm done, I can't keep my hands up.

If I continue to run the bags at 5 psi, I'll have to start wrapping my hands tight. They're brutal on the small bones at full tilt.
            I filled mine to 5 psi and thought the same. I changed mine to 4.

Cheers
            L

Comment

• IronCannibal
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Lee Chapman View Post
              I filled mine to 5 psi and thought the same. I changed mine to 4.

Cheers
              L
              I let a little air out of the Cleto until it "felt" right. Turns out I like it at 3 psi. Little less bounce than 4 psi, so I can really pound the hell outta it. You can feel the bag wrap around your knuckles for a split second at that pressure.

Comment

• Lee Chapman
                • Feb 2017

I let a little air out of the Cleto until it "felt" right. Turns out I like it at 3 psi. Little less bounce than 4 psi, so I can really pound the hell outta it. You can feel the bag wrap around your knuckles for a split second at that pressure.
                I'll just let mine go down slowly until it feels too slow to hit then top it up.

Cheers
                L

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

I think you will find with experience, you can tell just by squeezing the bag if its at the pressure you like. Even though every bag is different, you get to remember how you like each individual bag. And if not, you will be reminded after the first few punches.

I.C., boxing style represent! Me too. I always use mitts. Wraps just take too long. I have 3 sets of vintage mitts I use. I have not yet found a pair of modern mitts I like or would recommend.

-Rusty
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

I'm in the process of breaking in a pair of the Title Leather Speed Bag Gloves. They are very, very similar to the old style Everlast bag gloves https://www.titleboxing.com/gloves/b...eed-bag-gloves
                    They have the metal palm bar, and the workmanship is good. So far so good, besides the misses likes them......

Comment

• Dutchman
                      Speed Bag Historian
                      • Jun 2006

Remind me not to go drinking with you

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

I bought a pair of these Rivals because they were on sale for $20.

I'm still trying to give them a chance. Not totally happy with them so far. They are thin, which is good. I ordered the medium size and even those are huge. The worst part is the very long wrap around wrist straps. Much like ventanakaz's opinion of the metal bar, it seems like a cheat. Also takes too long to put on and makes the gloves too warm.
                        @ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2016

Harbinger is the name. I have those too. For me, I need more 2nd knuckle protection than on a weight lifting glove. I considered getting something like a batting glove or golf glove and cutting off the finger tips. But I'm old school and just like the mitts. Its difficult to get vintage mitts that aren't gross.
                          @ArcSwivel
                          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2016

I just tried the Rivals again, and I'm done with them. The inside is mesh lining and irritating. You have to use wraps with those, and its not for me.

This is my favorite pair of mitts...

Super soft deerskin. And the best part is the knuckle padding is thick felt. Juts the perfect amount of padding to protect your hands but you can still feel the bag.
                            @ArcSwivel
                            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• IronCannibal
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Mar 2017

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                              I think you will find with experience, you can tell just by squeezing the bag if its at the pressure you like. Even though every bag is different, you get to remember how you like each individual bag. And if not, you will be reminded after the first few punches.

I.C., boxing style represent! Me too. I always use mitts. Wraps just take too long. I have 3 sets of vintage mitts I use. I have not yet found a pair of modern mitts I like or would recommend.

-Rusty
                              Never used mitts. I saw these at Title: https://www.titleboxing.com/gloves/t...eed-bag-gloves and was wondering what people thought.

edit: I wrote this before reading page 2. Guess my question was answered if I had just looked.

I use wraps or RDX gel wraps. Not a fan of either, but then I haven't found just the right tension for the wraps. Too tight and my knuckles hurt. Too loose and my knuckles hurt. LOL. Ce la vi.
                              Last edited by IronCannibal; 04-14-2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...