Old school picture of Jack Dempsey hitting a huge speed bag.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaja6009
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2016

Old school picture of Jack Dempsey hitting a huge speed bag.

I saw this cool picture on Title's Twitter site. I notice weight on top to make it sturdy, and the bag is huge, so it must take some serious oomph to get it going.

Ralph, this seems like your type of bag. I wanna see you do your elbow magic on this big boy. Definitely not hitting air.
    Attached Files
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Dempsey was famous/notorious for going through multiple bags during a workout. His trainers had a man that did nothing but replace bladders on the bags he popped during the day .

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Dempsey was famous/notorious for going through multiple bags during a workout. His trainers had a man that did nothing but replace bladders on the bags he popped during the day .
      I know that sounds amazing...but personally I think that is kind of useless. IMO that is not what the speed bag is for. And if he was busting bladders all day, I imagine he was ripping up several bags also. But I'm sure it wowed the crowd.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• BagBoy
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2018

Jack Dempsey, fish?

Years ago I had a large aquarium that was meant to be a "community" tank, where everybody gets along. One of the fish (a Jack Dempsey) had rather nefarious plans to bully, kill, eat.. all the others. I eventually gave hime his own 33 gallon tank. He ate normal fish food as well as worms from my back yard, I would sometimes throw in minnows from a nearby river.. things didn't go well for them. Nature. I stopped with the minnows but kept up with the worms. By the time he croacked he was very big and very mean.

Hope the story didn't bore the hell outta you but the breed of aggressive fish was named after original Jack.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Dempsey_(fish)
        Last edited by BagBoy; 03-19-2018, 09:10 PM.
        Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Dempsey was more of a brawler than a boxer. A modern day comparison would be Mike Tyson. He relied upon brute strength to subdue his opponents in a short period of time. Striking bag training wasn't of much use to him, but like Speedbag said, he put on a "good show" for the press and his fans at the open training sessions.

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
            He ate normal fish food as well as worms from my back yard, I would sometimes throw in minnows from a nearby river.. things didn't go well for them. Nature.
            I kept a small bass (about 3" long) in an aquarium for quite some time and would hand feed him minnows. I eventually returned it to the wild.

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              Dempsey was more of a brawler than a boxer. A modern day comparison would be Mike Tyson. He relied upon brute strength to subdue his opponents in a short period of time. Striking bag training wasn't of much use to him, but like Speedbag said, he put on a "good show" for the press and his fans at the open training sessions.
              Mike Tyson had a relatively large amount of boxing skill by today's standards. Most fights he didn't get the chance to show it off because his opponents were too busy trying not to get their heads ripped off.

When I watch the old Dempsy films, I'm reminded more of UFC without the kicking and rolling around on the ground.

-Rusty
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• jaja6009
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2016

I just watched the Dempsey Willard fight on Youtube, and that was a ridiculous display of punishment. Poor Jess could not keep Dempsey in his range as Dempsey kept getting inside and pummeling him. His arms were way too long and he was way too slow to do anything when Dempsey was up close. Knocked down 7 times in the 1st round!

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

So, boxing or UFC?
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• jaja6009
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2016

I'm no boxing expert, just a casual observer, but it seems more UFC, and also both fighters seemed to fight flat footed, but that could be just what Dempsey used once he got inside since then he didn't need movement, he just needed to be quicker to the punch than Willard.

To me this seemed like a street brawl with rules, gloves and rounds.

When knocked down once the fighters knees were off the ground the other was able to immediately attack again as he was allowed to stand mere feet away while the count was being given. A couple times Willard had just gotten up, his knees were still bent and he was probably about 25% up when Dempsey was able to attack him again. Brutal.

Comment

• REB
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2017

The UK underground bare knuckle fighting is pretty brutal. Vids can be seen on YouTube. Crazy bastids.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by REB View Post
                        The UK underground bare knuckle fighting is pretty brutal. Vids can be seen on YouTube. Crazy bastids.
                        I saw this well done documentary on UK barenuckle a while back...

@ArcSwivel
                        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Bag Man
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
                          I'm no boxing expert, just a casual observer, but it seems more UFC, and also both fighters seemed to fight flat footed, but that could be just what Dempsey used once he got inside since then he didn't need movement, he just needed to be quicker to the punch than Willard.

To me this seemed like a street brawl with rules, gloves and rounds.

When knocked down once the fighters knees were off the ground the other was able to immediately attack again as he was allowed to stand mere feet away while the count was being given. A couple times Willard had just gotten up, his knees were still bent and he was probably about 25% up when Dempsey was able to attack him again. Brutal.
                          Which resulted in a change in the rules which in turn played a part in the infamous "long count" in the second Tunney/Dempsey fight.
                          "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...