X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Dee & Lee – MsDeville and the "YA YA" song

I've been punching to this old Lee Michaels song off and on for the past year. Another oldie from the 70's...

I have learned that Lee Michaels was really into boxing at one point, and even had a boxing gym in L.A. So, I figured that it would be appropriate to punch-drum to his music. Besides, this needed another instrument – the speed bag!

I taped this over 3 weeks ago–just before I came down with a bad cold/bronchitis. I'm finally on the mend, and while recovering, decided to edit this video and post it. Don't know why I like it so much, and I don't do anything fancy, but here it is anyway...

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Great Job Dee, Your getting better with every Vid! Some new combos, I liked the downward elbows, very cool. That tune sounded like the guy who sang "You Know What I Mean" (or something of that nature), back in the day. Great baggin' as usual!
    T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2010

Great baggin and Here it its TJM!

That tune sounded like the guy who sang "You Know What I Mean" (or something of that nature), back in the day.

It was on the list of suggested vidz on Ms. D's awsome punch-drumming video!

Thanks for postin Denise and for reminding me of another musician from back in the day as Tj_MaTee put it! Keep it Baggin and Keep on Postin!
      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
        Great Job Dee, Your getting better with every Vid! Some new combos, I liked the downward elbows, very cool. That tune sounded like the guy who sang "You Know What I Mean" (or something of that nature), back in the day. Great baggin' as usual!
        Yup. That was one of his commercial hits back in the early 70s. I think a lot of his songs were related to getting high, railing against "Authority" or about sex.
        Thanks for the comments, TJ. I think one of my favorite punches is the downward elbow...

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
        That tune sounded like the guy who sang "You Know What I Mean" (or something of that nature), back in the day.

Thanks for postin Denise and for reminding me of another musician from back in the day as Tj_MaTee put it! Keep it Baggin and Keep on Postin!
        I'll be surprised if anyone under the age of 50 remembers Lee Michaels. He was not as well known as the other rock stars of the 60s and early 70s, but he does have a few (me!) fans still hangin' around. I have fond memories, listening to him on an 8-track cassette, LPs and 45's (I think they called them records... ) My brother might have had one of the first portable (battery-operated) turntables back then. He'd drive to the park and set the record player on the hood of his car, and spin some tunes...

Here's a (live?) performance of Lee with his drummer Frosty in 1976. His music was mostly comprised of just an organ and the drums...and was rounded out with Lee's rich, soulful/bluesy voice.

Last edited by MsDeville; 10-22-2010, 06:45 PM. Reason: embedded a YouTube video
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
          That tune sounded like the guy who sang "You Know What I Mean" (or something of that nature), back in the day....
          "If you know what I mean" back in the day could be several people.....

try punching to these versions.

Think larger bag, larger control. Think Baggist.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            "If you know what I mean" back in the day could be several people.....

try punching to these versions.

Think larger bag, larger control. Think Baggist.
            Phil Collins. Now this guy really knows how to sing a song with feeling. This one certainly tugs at the heart...

This song would definitely be a challenge for a punch-drummer.

Yes, a larger bag, larger control, for sure. And seasoned bag skills ... I'm thinkin' Roc...

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
              Phil Collins. Now this guy really knows how to sing a song with feeling. This one certainly tugs at the heart...

This song would definitely be a challenge for a punch-drummer.

Yes, a larger bag, larger control, for sure. And seasoned bag skills ... I'm thinkin' Roc...
              by the way, when punch drumming you don't have to punch every measure of the song. It's OK to lay out for a phrase or segment that needs to stand on it's own, or the transition between "bag" and "no bag" can add to the feeling. this is where "presentation" and mixing with the music is just as important as your punching skills to it.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                by the way, when punch drumming you don't have to punch every measure of the song. It's OK to lay out for a phrase or segment that needs to stand on it's own, or the transition between "bag" and "no bag" can add to the feeling. this is where "presentation" and mixing with the music is just as important as your punching skills to it.
                Well, I've purchased the Phil Collins song. I'll be punching along to it, but only when I'm in an especially melancholy mood...it's a sad one. And, it certainly will be one that will require special speed bag skills... presentation will be tricky.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...