X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

I'm going to make a new post about double end bags, your comments are very interesting and I hope to learn more.

Comment

• jason_m_amy
      • Jan 2007

Everlast 4210

I have several bags - see the photo. My favorite is this Everlast 4210, but I can't seem to find it anywhere (see pic)? This one I have is brown, did they stop making it? I have seen some that said 4210 but they are red - are they the same? Compared to the title of the same size, the 4210 is MUCH faster - is this due to the bladder or are they just that different?

(can't upload some of the files, get an internal server error)

Thanks, Jason
      Attached Files
      Last edited by jason_m_amy; 01-29-2007, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hey Jason_m_army

You are correct that the Everlast 4210 is usually Red. I used that bag for For all the Technique pictures, and I have had that bag for almost 15 years. It is a great bag. That brown Everlast 4210 that you have may be a classic. I haven't seen one like that in many years. Everlast does have a bunch of brown bags, and I have had the brown 4214 (10x7) and Never did like it. Much slower than other 10x7's. When I blew it up close to spreading the seams, it only got harder, (like a brick) - not faster.

Bag SPEED and the "pop" of the rebound off the board is probably affected by a lot of things, and their are some variables that really can't be standardized. I don't know much about the "type" of bladder inside, for I never really messed with bladders much. I have hit both and have to say I could not tell the difference, but then again, for many of my bags I never looked inside. My favorite bag for 20 years or so was the Everlast 4200 (9x6). The several I opened up had red plastic bladders. My last 10 years I've hit other bags but I don't know whats "under the hood" cause I really try to avoid surgery on them.

Besides the bladder material, I suspect the amount of air inside is also a determinant, and very hard to gauge "equal amounts of air in each", as well as the expandability of the material. the standard air pressure on most bags is 4 lbs. Maybe rubber would do better with 5 lbs. Does more air make it faster?
        I also suspect the rebound board, it's material and solidity makes a difference.

Bag weight could also be a big factor, as well as the leather material used.

The secret to me has always been to hit a bag that you enjoy hitting. Some bags accept your hands as family, and others reject them workout after workout.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jason_m_amy
          • Jan 2007

4210 - same now as then?

Speedbag,

Yes, I'd guess the brown 4210 bag I have is at least 20 years old, probably 25. What defines 'collectible'? It's one of the ones my dad bought me when I was a kid, and recently getting back into speedbagging I found it and dusted it off! The thing absolutely rocks - low air pressure, high air pressure, doesn't matter. I can hit that thing for almost an hour with no break, and still want to go longer, but my shoulders tell me to stop. I like small bags also, but they don't give me the workout the larger bags do (my main reason for speedbagging is to keep in shape for surfing and right now the water is TOO COLD, so lots of speedbagging for me).

I think you summed it up - different bags for different folks, some feel natural, others don't (4214). My problem is that I like my 4210 so much, and it's SO old, I'm afraid of using it too much and completely wearing it out. Do you think if I buy a newer 4210 it will be the same? Mine feels much lighter than a title of the same size? It may have a rubber bladder also. I saw this link you posted in another thread to the 4210 - it may just be me, but it looks SO similar to the 4214 that I have, and that thing is awful. I'm guessing it's not since you used it for 15 years!? I may buy a few of those if they're the same.

-Jason

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hey Jason,

I think if you buy another 4210 it may be similiar, but the leather on yours is a different type than the one on my link. The 4210 is an 11x8 and the 4124 is a 10x7. I like the 4210, but not the 4214.

You might get another bladder for your brown 4210, just in case your original bladder goes. But if that bag has sentimental value (and it is a classic, probably discontinued) than I would get another one similar to workout on. You might also pay attention to the seams spreading and pulling apart.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...