X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoMan
    • Nov 2016

Minor problem with linking

Hey guys quick question...I'm having problems linking my RCP when I link. Somewhere my timing is off and I getting a lot of the bag being pushed up when I'm bringing my fist toward me after Ives passed it through and trying to pass the fist back to the front.

Also, should I be standing square with the bag and passing my RCP fist straight back to my chin, or do you guys lean a bit to the side (so that your eyes are looking at the travel direction at almost a 30-45 degree angle)?

Thanks in advance
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JoMan View Post
    Hey guys quick question...I'm having problems linking my RCP when I link. Somewhere my timing is off and I getting a lot of the bag being pushed up when I'm bringing my fist toward me after Ives passed it through and trying to pass the fist back to the front.

Also, should I be standing square with the bag and passing my RCP fist straight back to my chin, or do you guys lean a bit to the side (so that your eyes are looking at the travel direction at almost a 30-45 degree angle)?

Thanks in advance

Hey JoMan: Great questions: let me take a crack at this....

1. Secret to linking a fist(s) though the bag is (a) having bag at right height (belly around chin-to-nose level (b) hitting bag early in the rebound (make connection when bag is at about 45 degrees off the board, not when it is straight under the swivel and (c) with elbow up close to parallel, move fist in straight line. Straight out, straight back.

Here is an old video that shows this at about 50sec - Also note, works with one OR BOTH fist.

Primefighter Model 400 speed bag wall unit Demo. A rock Solid wall unit made in Noel Missouri, USA.

note the "elbow up" and straight fist(s) through bag. It kind of looks like a "figure 8" down and up, but it's actually a straight through movement.

As for your second part...

In truth it doesn't matter, and it's actually a bit easier if you DON'T hit directly back at your face. This puts your nose in jeopardy and makes it impossible to see your fist contact behind the bag.

* You can angle your fist in any angle from one side panel to the other around the back of the bag - and still move the fist straight thru and back. The rebounding angle of the bag will change in accordance with your fist contact, but the fist movement is the same. You can easily adjust your fist contact point by moving your elbow (remember: elbow up, pull your elbow just a smidge back by moving the upper arm (shoulder joint) back a bit. This will adjust your fist more that "that side of the bag". as you fist hits more of a side panel, the bag rebound will move more from your nose to the eye, and you will see the more sideways rebound angle AND also see the fist contact point around that side of the bag. Now your fist is moving sideways more than straight out and back, but the movement is the same. IF you connect in the sweet spot of the rebound (half way between board and straight under swivel), the bag will do what it is supposed to. It will hit your fist, compress on the board, and as it is compressed, the fist will move under so that when the bag comes off the board, the fist is already cleared on the other side (front or back, doesn't matter).

Training TIP:
    I have found the best way to assist weak "Front to back" linking is to work more on Reverse Single Punching (RSP) (not rcp). Usually the weak spot is the RSP contact, for you hit thousands of Front punches and have that down but most are hunting for that repetitive RSP contact point. The fist tends to wonder up and down that back bag area. So... Start from the RSP. Hang your arm out so the fist is extended behind the bag (can be angle to side, doesn't matter) and just hit repetitive RSP's. Say do 3 of them and then pass thru to "1" Front Circle Punch. Looks like this. (note 3 rebounds ' ' ' and 2 rebounds ' '. that's kind of important.

RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP......repeat

Note "the linking move" RSP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP

IN the above, notice how many more times your hitting behind the bag (RSP) than in front (FCP). This is forcing your to really practice repetitive punching from the reverse area, and will help your hands become "at home" behind the bag. Eventually you want your hands to feel "at home" from any position around the bag. So with the bag at correct height, Elbow up and straight fist motion (by bending elbow..) the fist will pass straight through and the bag will be "on the board" when that happens.

IF your first contact is above the belly of the bag, say by the laces, this "straight thru" punch will not work. the fat part of the bag belly will catch your hand during the rebound. If you are moving your fist in more of a "downward circle" rather than straight into the bag, your fist will naturally duck down and under the bag in a "looping link under the bag." You may pull this off a few times, but you'll never do it at high speed.

hope this helps.

Last edited by Speedbag; 05-08-2019, 07:53 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• JoMan
      • Nov 2016

Thank you for the time and effort you took to help me. My bag height adjusted perfectly, and I can do very good doing the Basic Rhythm as my base and throwing in "tricks"(bible style) now and again and then going back into the Triplet for a bit - then throw in tricks, repeat cycle again etc... - but I aspire to be fluid such as yourself and other advanced baggers.

You're right - I need to practice your training tips more often. Gonna go put in some time out in the garage now with starting with the RSP combo example you detailed
      Last edited by JoMan; 05-08-2019, 08:24 PM. Reason: Autocorrect makes my words appear illiterate

Comment

• JoMan
        • Nov 2016

I've lowered my bag height 1", AND released some air from the bladder...some slight improvement being shown.

The quest continues...

Comment

• BagBoy
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2018

JoMan, single fist linking was my white whale for a long time. I had my double fist linking fast and smooth months before getting the singles going One day I had the EUREKA moment that came after watching one of zaza's (zaza of the forum) videos doing the Mission Impossible beat that Alan demonstrates in his original Mission Impossible video. Hope that makes sense

Hitting triplets for breathing room with a single link that gets you back to the 1 beat. It's also a bit of an earworm too so that helps. Hope that makes sense

1 2 3 4 5-6 and so on.. You'll see what I mean starting at 1:15..

Last edited by BagBoy; 05-09-2019, 12:54 AM. Reason: Added Video
          Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• JoMan
            • Nov 2016

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
            JoMan, single fist linking was my white whale for a long time. I had my double fist linking fast and smooth months before getting the singles going One day I had the EUREKA moment that came after watching one of zaza's (zaza of the forum) videos doing the Mission Impossible beat that Alan demonstrates in his original Mission Impossible video. Hope that makes sense

Hitting triplets for breathing room with a single link that gets you back to the 1 beat. It's also a bit of an earworm too so that helps. Hope that makes sense

1 2 3 4 5-6 and so on.. You'll see what I mean starting at 1:15..

https://youtu.be/veCwSzohba8

Thank you for the helpful tips. I watched that part of the video and I hear that rhythm you just explained. Fortunately I can do that with ease, that's an example of how I said I can throw in random "bible tricks" working off of the Basic Rhythm as my base...it's when the video gets to around 2:40 that I'm out of my current skill set! 🙂

Comment

• JoMan
              • Nov 2016

Okay I've been refining trying to get more fluid. The above link encouraged me because I can do all of the advanced techniques, quite relaxed and fluidly EXCEPT for the "FDP ---> RDP" linking/combo. I just can't get that one down.

I can do the FCP ---> RSP fluently and continuously with either hand, and what is considered the most difficult technique (reverse fist roll) is a technique that I feel very fluid and "easy" to do. But this FDP/RDP is frustrating me!!!

I use a Title 6x9 standard red bag with a Forza ball hook, and I would prefer to learn with this bag instead of using a larger bag.

Hopefully I can get some video recorded over the weekend and find out what I'm doing wrong...

Comment

• BagBoy
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by JoMan View Post
                throw in random "bible tricks" working off of the Basic Rhythm as my base
                I totally get that, for a while I had to look at it like a boxer looking for openings to throw in a downward elbow or whatever else. Even had a paper pinned to the wall directly in front of me with all the current tools in my toolbox and trying to squeeze them in. Sometimes soloing to one arm for a few hits to set up a few combinations.
                Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...