• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterDux
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2012

Platform and swivel for home use

Hi guys,

Forgive me if this has been discussed, published on here many times before (if so, please point me to the link), but wondered where a good place/s to go online to purchase a platform and swivel for home use. I'd like one I don't have to attach to the wall and shake my house down or annoy my wife too badly while hitting in the garage.

I just want something sturdy, no shake, and a swivel I can replace at will and not worry about breaking like those 50.00 all in one jobs you see at cheap sporting goods stores.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Favorite platform:
    Favorite swivel:
    Favorite bag:

Best,
    Dux
  • Mobby
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2012

Have you looked on Amazon? They have a few at various price ranges. Also, I looked at 'BALAZS'. the link is at the top of this page.

Comment

• MasterDux
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jul 2012

Thx

Not sure I hit Amazon yet, but will check both out. Thank you.
      Dux

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

There are a couple of free standing platforms out there that are worth anything. The Balaz and Prime platforms are rock steady, but they are very pricey. The Century and Everlast stands sold in sporting goods stores are not worth the expense and aggravation. Way too much vibration in the speed bag platform. We've had members here rig up all kinds of bracing on these to stabilize them, but reports are that it's far from being satisfactory.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MasterDux View Post
          Hi guys,

Forgive me if this has been discussed, published on here many times before (if so, please point me to the link), but wondered where a good place/s to go online to purchase a platform and swivel for home use. I'd like one I don't have to attach to the wall and shake my house down or annoy my wife too badly while hitting in the garage.

I just want something sturdy, no shake, and a swivel I can replace at will and not worry about breaking like those 50.00 all in one jobs you see at cheap sporting goods stores.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Favorite platform:
          Favorite swivel:
          Favorite bag:

Best,
          Dux
          There was a member a while back that has invented a very clever and apparently functional way to attach a speed bag to a standard door opening. I think they were still in developement or presenting it for possible marketing or sale, but it was a really cool idea that I've had for years, but I have no design or production ability. Imagine, any door opening being able to have a stable speed bag attached for 30 minutes or so. That is still a great idea and I don't know where they are in that process right now.

Maybe, some day, a good stable system will come out for apartment dwellers or those with no useable wall space.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            There was a member a while back that has invented a very clever and apparently functional way to attach a speed bag to a standard door opening. I think they were still in developement or presenting it for possible marketing or sale, but it was a really cool idea that I've had for years, but I have no design or production ability. Imagine, any door opening being able to have a stable speed bag attached for 30 minutes or so. That is still a great idea and I don't know where they are in that process right now.

Maybe, some day, a good stable system will come out for apartment dwellers or those with no useable wall space.
            Here is the link for this cool product: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Exlw5xUbTc

There is no audio on this video though. I wonder how noisy it is. The drum is pretty thin. Maybe a beefier one would be better...

Or...

If you're handy with a Skill saw, drill, etc., this is a really nice homemade, freestanding setup that this bagger built and attached his adjustable platform. It looks and sounds VERY sturdy, and might not have too much noise or vibration. You wouldn't necessarily need to purchase a platform. You could probably build a drum from a 24" tabletop (from Home Depot or Lowe's)...

The free standing speed bag platform shown above consists of a frame built from common doug-fir 2" x 6" studs (8'), plywood, bolts, wood glue and deck screws...

Here's the verbiage from the YouTube video:

The freestanding speed bag platform shown above consists of a frame built from common doug-fir 2" x 6" studs (8'), plywood, bolts, wood glue and deck screws. This speed bag platform is stable, portable, inexpensive, non-destructive, and will support most types of racks. The rack used on this speed bag platform is a Valor Athletics model CA-2. I selected this model of rack because it is adjustable and fairly high quality.

The weight of the platform is 210 lbs. and the weight of the rack is 65 lbs. This speed bag platform will fit in a room with eight foot ceilings, has a 48" x 53-1/2" foot print, and can be moved by sliding or disassembled into component pieces by removing the bolts. At full extension the drum is 83" above the base. That will accommodate a 6' - 3" person using an 11" speed bag.

The total cost of materials for the platform was $150 US and Valor Athletics CA-2 rack (with shipping) was $270 US, (April 2012). The bulk of the platform cost was for the the lumber (12 studs - $60 US, one 4' x 8' sheet of 3/4" cabinet grade ply - $40 US). A better looking (and heavier) speed bag platform can be built using red oak though the cost would be about $500 for the lumber. I surface planed, edge rounded with a router, and finished with spar varnish before final assembly.

The freestanding speed bag platform dimensioned drawings and bill of materials can be found at http://pi-amp.com/speedbag/speedbag.html

Good luck in your search for the "perfect platform."
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

YEP that's it. I emailed the creators and they said they could hit on it pretty near full power and it was stable. Sure there is some shaking, but you're always going to have a little of that. I suspect I smaller 8x5 bag would be best on it.

I'd love to see something like this actually make it to the point of availability. I think there is a market for it.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...