• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

How to test an air valve for a leak

You can also test the air valve. Fill the bag up, then cover the top 2/3 of the bag in plastic and a towel, to protect it, ( don't want water getting down inside past the top threads) and leave the bottom part with the air valve open. Then with it fully inflated, I submerge it into the bath tub, hold it or secure it underwater and watch to see if air bubbles come out the bottom. If it sets at the bottom of a tub and no air comes out, then I'll hold it and squeeze it hard to put pressure on the sides as if I was punching it. Then you might see air escape the valve, which tells you it goes flat due to the force of punches forcing air out the valve.

Either way, if air escapes the valve, the valve is bad. You can do as Roc Stone said, blow it up one last time, and seal the valve with vaseline, or glue a plug into it. But it will probably blow and then you will have to change it anyway or get a new bag. changing bladders is a pain....

A good friend of mine puts oversized bladders into his bags, meaning he'll put the bladder for a 10x7 into his 8x5. that way, the bag leather stops the inflation of the bladder, but there is never enough pressure in the bladder to blow the seams. Since the bag leather is fully inflated, the bag feels full and hits very well, with little or no strain on the bladder.

I have never done that, but it works for him, and he can pound a speed bag too dust. Never broke one yet.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...