• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Why the extra wood?

I've seen people adding extra wood (2x4...1x6...2x6...)to the back of their platforms horizontally on the wall.
    Is this so they can attach that wood to the studs and take advantage of attaching platforms sturdy without having to worry about studs and the possible limit of their location?
    I just dealt with that when I put up my second platform....
    And I finally remembered to make a mental note (correct me if I'm wrong)... the board is also called the "drum"?
    I should know this, being a drummer and all......haha
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    I've seen people adding extra wood (2x4...1x6...2x6...)to the back of their platforms horizontally on the wall.
    Is this so they can attach that wood to the studs and take advantage of attaching platforms sturdy without having to worry about studs and the possible limit of their location?
    And I finally remembered to make a mental note (correct me if I'm wrong)... the board is also called the "drum"?

The horizontal boards can help span several studs if you have a wall unit that doesn't necessarily match up on studs, or your studs aren't on 16 inch centers. It also can help protect the wall, as the horizontal or vertical mounts of the bag frame will do a number to the wall if you attach them directly. Take one down after a few years and you'll see.

Yes, the board is also called "the Drum". Not everybody knows that.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Whippet
      • Nov 2008

The Balazs platform that I have mounts to wall studs (concrete too) that have 16" centers or spacing - I have an '80's home that has 24" spacing between the wall studs, so I had to go this route to mount her up.
      I think it is actually stronger this way; and my wife says that she can barely hear it on the floor above.

DJM

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        The horizontal boards can help span several studs if you have a wall unit that doesn't necessarily match up on studs, or your studs aren't on 16 inch centers. It also can help protect the wall, as the horizontal or vertical mounts of the bag frame will do a number to the wall if you attach them directly. Take one down after a few years and you'll see.

Yes, the board is also called "the Drum". Not everybody knows that.
        Quote #2.. (how do you multi quote???) "The Balazs platform that I have mounts to wall studs (concrete too) that have 16" centers or spacing - I have an '80's home that has 24" spacing between the wall studs, so I had to go this route to mount her up.
        I think it is actually stronger this way; and my wife says that she can barely hear it on the floor above.
        DJM"

*****Hey AK and Whippet! thanks for the quick responses! I may take my "drums" down and start over by adding some horizontal boards for optimum placement advantage!

And I just received a message (how's this for coincidence) from a bud in Sweden who got a bag and board for Xmas. 30 mins in his neighbor was knockin' about the volume. Now he says he will bring it to his parents house 1 1/2 hrs away. There should be a new informative post on everything we are talking about here.
        Whippet, if your wife can barely hear it, then the horizontal wood is more than a stud replacing, board stabalizing, wall protecter; it is also a marriage counseling deterrent! Who's the stud now! On that note, this can be some of the best news in the whole dang forum!
        So please, from the experienced.... hints on board to wall stability, board deadening (sandbags and plastic ball hooks) and all the ways to get away with hassle-free bagging!
        I started with the metal ball hook, a 10x7 4214 Gyro with no weight on top of the drum. It was loud! The 20 lb. dog food bag deadened it quite a bit, as did a smaller bag with better rebound, (ex; 9x6 Everlast) and ultimately trying the plastic ball hook swivel. Next would be the horizontal boards.
        ***Does the thickness of horizontal boards add to the lessening of bagging volume????
        Last edited by spinsmashpop; 01-14-2009, 01:08 PM. Reason: wrote wrong country name

Comment

• Whippet
          • Nov 2008

Quote #2.. (how do you multi quote???) "The Balazs platform that I have mounts to wall studs (concrete too) that have 16" centers or spacing - I have an '80's home that has 24" spacing between the wall studs, so I had to go this route to mount her up.
          DJM"

*****Hey AK and Whippet! thanks for the quick responses! I may take my "drums" down and start over by adding some horizontal boards for optimum placement advantage!

And I just received a message (how's this for coincidence) from a bud in Sweden who got a bag and board for Xmas. 30 mins in his neighbor was knockin' about the volume. Now he says he will bring it to his parents house 1 1/2 hrs away. There should be a new informative post on everything we are talking about here.
          Whippet, if your wife can barely hear it, then the horizontal wood is more than a stud replacing, board stabalizing, wall protecter; it is also a marriage counseling deterrent! Who's the stud now! On that note, this can be some of the best news in the whole dang forum!
          So please, from the experienced.... hints on board to wall stability, board deadening (sandbags and plastic ball hooks) and all the ways to get away with hassle-free bagging!
          I started with the metal ball hook, a 10x7 4214 Gyro with no weight on top of the drum. It was loud! The 20 lb. dog food bag deadened it quite a bit, as did a smaller bag with better rebound, (ex; 9x6 Everlast) and ultimately trying the plastic ball hook swivel. Next would be the horizontal boards.
          ***Does the thickness of horizontal boards add to the lessening of bagging volume????
          My best guess is that wider, soft wood is a better dampener .. spreads the vibration/sound out. Anyhow, I chose a 2x8 spruce board 10' long and the store cut it into two 4" pieces (I could have gone to the 5" lengths too). I am a number of things, but NOT an expert in this area - however - comma - I am thinking that if I were to have glued some quilted material to the back of the boards, the dampening/deadening effect may have been even greater. Not a thick pad or anything that could cause or allow for vibration of the unit, but to act as a dampener and further muffle the sound of the bag striking the drum. I may even give it a try.
          Anyone want to wade in on this one?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Quote #2.. (how do you multi quote???)
            I don't know a "fancy way" but here is what I do.

1. If I want to quote several members in one post, I will hit "quote reply", copy and past that quote to a word document, then go to the next. The last quote I want to use is where I actually put the forum reply, because it quotes the last person I want to respond to. Then I copy the text from the word doc and past it into the forum answer box, so those earlier quotes appear in the order I want to respond. Actually, using this method you can also move the quote text anywere you want in the answer.

2. Second, If I want to answer several questions or parts of ONE post, (quote the same person multiple times), then I hit "quote reply", and when the quote text comes up in the forum answer box, I copy the post (*key is the boxes) and past it again underneath as many times as I need it. Then delete all be the relative text you'll address. kinda like this.....

Actually, I've seen people put carpet padding and other soft materials between the horizontal wood and the wall. Kinda like a washer under a nut, except the carpet (glued to the wood) will be on the wall, not the wood. My board rattles a bit on the metal angle irons that hold it, so I have neoprene rubber runners inbetween the iron and the wood. Works pretty well.

Quote #2.. (how do you multi quote???)
            Oops, I did it again. That could be a song.....
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              I don't know a "fancy way" but here is what I do.

1. If I want to quote several members in one post, I will hit "quote reply", copy and past that quote to a word document, then go to the next. The last quote I want to use is where I actually put the forum reply, because it quotes the last person I want to respond to. Then I copy the text from the word doc and past it into the forum answer box, so those earlier quotes appear in the order I want to respond. Actually, using this method you can also move the quote text anywere you want in the answer.
              This works and works well.

Here's the "fancy" way to do it... you can also use the "multi-quote" button:

Scroll through the thread and click on it for each individual post you want to quote. It will turn red. When you get to the bottom of the thread, click Post Reply... ALL the text you selected will then be present with the QUOTE /QUOTE tags.

2. Second, If I want to answer several questions or parts of ONE post, (quote the same person multiple times), then I hit "quote reply", and when the quote text comes up in the forum answer box, I copy the post (*key is the boxes) and past it again underneath as many times as I need it. Then delete all be the relative text you'll address. kinda like this.....
              No shortcuts here, that's how I do this as well.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                This works and works well.

Here's the "fancy" way to do it... you can also use the "multi-quote" button:

Scroll through the thread and click on it for each individual post you want to quote. It will turn red. When you get to the bottom of the thread, click Post Reply... ALL the text you selected will then be present with the QUOTE /QUOTE tags..
                So this works for multiple member quotes?
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Yes, my explanation may not be so hot, give it a try... it's pretty easy.

Comment

• dax_q
                    • Jan 2008

Spin,
                    I have the 2x4's mounted so I can have a third support. I have supports on the two studs and a third in the middle(where there would be no mounting point without the 2x4's) so I have less vibration.
                    -Dax

Comment

• mikerehab
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jul 2008

Originally posted by dax_q View Post
                      Spin,
                      I have the 2x4's mounted so I can have a third support. I have supports on the two studs and a third in the middle(where there would be no mounting point without the 2x4's) so I have less vibration.
                      -Dax
                      A very good, and reasonably priced, solution to the noise problem is a free standing setup constructed from wood. I was motivated by Tim's setup to build one, and it took about a day to complete, from 4x4s, 2 x4s, and a piece of plywood for the drum. My set up is a 6' x 6' square, and the drum is about 7 feet high off the ground. This means it takes up 36 square feet. I think an average size person could fit very well within a 5 x 5 free standing setup, and that would only be 25 square feet. These types of setups can fit easily in a large garage or a basement, but would be too big for most apartments. The setup eliminates any vibrations in the house, which is the main source of problems with family and neighbors. This allows me to hit in the garage without bothering the family. I need to get some photos of it, and then if anybody is interested, I can help them construct it. There is some other things that are fun about the setup as well, since I added some features so the kids can climb on it.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by mikerehab View Post
                        A very good, and reasonably priced, solution to the noise problem is a free standing setup constructed from wood. I was motivated by Tim's setup to build one, and it took about a day to complete, from 4x4s, 2 x4s, and a piece of plywood for the drum. My set up is a 6' x 6' square, and the drum is about 7 feet high off the ground. This means it takes up 36 square feet. I think an average size person could fit very well within a 5 x 5 free standing setup, and that would only be 25 square feet. These types of setups can fit easily in a large garage or a basement, but would be too big for most apartments. The setup eliminates any vibrations in the house, which is the main source of problems with family and neighbors. This allows me to hit in the garage without bothering the family. I need to get some photos of it, and then if anybody is interested, I can help them construct it. There is some other things that are fun about the setup as well, since I added some features so the kids can climb on it.
                        Mike...you've got to put some pics up of your set up!

Originally posted by dax_q View Post
                        Spin,
                        -Dax
                        Dax.... thanks...

Originally posted by Whippet View Post
                        My best guess is that wider, soft wood is a better dampener .. spreads the vibration/sound out. Anyhow, I chose a 2x8 spruce board 10' long and the store cut it into two 4" pieces (I could have gone to the 5" lengths too). I am a number of things, but NOT an expert in this area - however - comma - I am thinking that if I were to have glued some quilted material to the back of the boards, the dampening/deadening effect may have been even greater. Not a thick pad or anything that could cause or allow for vibration of the unit, but to act as a dampener and further muffle the sound of the bag striking the drum. I may even give it a try.
                        Anyone want to wade in on this one?
                        Thanks Whippet

Thanks Tim....Thanks AK... and check your mail real soon!

Comment

• Whippet
                          • Nov 2008

"Why the extra wood?"

That's depressing - married for over 20 years and the wife has never once asked me that question.
                          I'm sorry, I just couldn't help myself

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by mikerehab View Post
                            A very good, and reasonably priced, solution to the noise problem is a free standing setup constructed from wood..... I think an average size person could fit very well within a 5 x 5 free standing setup, and that would only be 25 square feet.
                            Mine is 5x5. Depending on what side of the drum you prefer to hit from , it's plenty of room for most purposes.

I need to get some photos of it, and then if anybody is interested, I can help them construct it. There is some other things that are fun about the setup as well, since I added some features so the kids can climb on it.
                            Would love to see it!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks Tim....Thanks AK... and check your mail real soon!

got it. Thanks!! Nice touch. I've always been a fan.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...