• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by 52beginner View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the help and pointers. Watching all the videos helps but you all make it look so easy.

I have to admit it I am hooked as well so I am off to spend some time with my new friend Mr. Speed Bag! LOL!

Does the "S" Hook Swivel help? I have a few people pointing me in that direction.
    As a beginner, probably not much. Advanced users can tell the differences in swivels and their effect on the bag, but unless you can create combinations from all around the bag pretty well, (particularly using side punching techniques), The swivel won't matter as much. If you have a big, long clunker chainlink I would say that will make the bag slower, but at your level the most important thing is good position, proper swinging techniques and learning to control your power and movement size and speed. Position, Swing length, (the distances your hands have to travel to make contact), the speed and power of your movements will cause a beginner far more problem than the swivel, AND a ballhook is a little less forgiving on miss hits, where a more clunky chainlink might let you get by. I know some that say because the ball hook demands more precise control, it will make you better, but it is a lot more frustrating to learn on for some people. Any swivel can deal with the Seven basic punches (4 front and 3 reverse) and the elbow striking movements pretty well, because the bag rebound angles are pretty standard "X" pattern front to back. Again, the Side Punches really up the ante on the rebound angles being more precise for combinations to work, and also the ball hook will not interfer with the bag direction. It goes directly where you hit it. The chain link connections can slightly alter the rebound of complicated side combitions, because the bag can only go where the links line up and let it. It happens to me more often than I like, so I don't use link swivels myself at home. I know a few advanced baggers that agree with me, and I know a few that still use the chainlink because they just like it better.

But for you, focus on punching skills and control, rather than all kinds of equipment modification. Believe me, you will know when your ready to trade up. If not, post a few video's, and some of us will be happy to tell you. "NOW you need a ballhook.."

hope this helps. Thanks for joining the group. It's an amazing place with a lot of great members.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigboy View Post
      I can't wait to get half way decent at this and welcome any help you can give. thanks
      Welcome to the forum. Speed bag is very rewarding, all it takes is practice. If you have specific questions let us know and we'll answer them to the best of our ability.

If you can post video of you hitting the bag, we can critique your form and help you even better!

Comment

• bigboy
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2009

thanks

Tim I apreciate the help offer. I looked at my setup closer this morning and I have a "s" hook plastic swivel and a standard vinyl bag. Reading other posts and looking at everlast website I will probably need to upgrade eventually. Well I am headed downstairs now for my second try at the bag.

Comment

• Biggen
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
          Hey Biggen,

There must be a lot of Baggers in Sweden. I hear from folks in Sweden almost every month and I have sent a several books and DVD's over there. Must be something about the weather.

Hi Alan,

Yeah, you know Seden has only 9 million people, where most of them live in the country side. There you can do pretty much whatever you like to without disturbing anyone. I'm born out there, but for now I live in the "big city" (450 000 . Hmm...I miss the outdoor.

/Ingmar Johansson

Comment

• 52beginner
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jan 2009

I think I am spending too much time on the bag. My shoulders, upper back and triceps are sore as can be! Hurts so good!

Oh well I guess I will go try to loosen up on the bag!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by 52beginner View Post
              I think I am spending too much time on the bag. My shoulders, upper back and triceps are sore as can be! Hurts so good!

Oh well I guess I will go try to loosen up on the bag!

Warm up well before you hit. Hit lightly for a while, without power pounding the bag for a few workouts. Stretch well afterward.

take it easy on yourself. speed baggin' is not a race.

Train safely.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• bagger_vance
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jan 2009

new bagger in Ali's city

Hi everyone. Great forum!
                I bought the speed bag starter kit from Dick's Sporting Goods and put it up on Sunday (1/25). So far, lots of fun and lots of noise. I live in a condo, but no complaints yet. I'm sure the lady next door can hear it even though it's in my garage on an unshared wall. I've done my reading so I plan on doubling up on the wood, using sandbags, and getting a smaller bag. The first day was frustrating, as expected. The next day was massive improvement. Today, my 3rd day, I was hitting it nicely and even throwing in some elbows and the fist roll where the bag does not reboud all the way. I'm sure there's a name for that... I put quite a bit of air in the bag to make it faster - really hurts the hands, but tons of fun! I will get a smaller bag ASAP. Really tired of the eye hook coming unscrewed from the plastic ball, too. I will probably get the u-hook swivel. I will post a video soon. Looking forward to the wonderful world of speed bagging.

-Matt

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by bagger_vance View Post
                  Hi everyone. Great forum!
                  Welcome!

...and the fist roll where the bag does not reboud all the way. I'm sure there's a name for that...
                  Yep, that's the F-ROLL (Front Roll).

I put quite a bit of air in the bag to make it faster - really hurts the hands, but tons of fun!
                  Generally it shouldn't hurt your hands to punch, I'd take some air out. You will injure your hands otherwise.

I will get a smaller bag ASAP. Really tired of the eye hook coming unscrewed from the plastic ball, too.
                  Superglue works wonders!!!! Seriously.

Comment

• bagger_vance
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jan 2009

No pain even in the first few days? I'll use the super glue, for sure.
                    Any other suggestions for noise dampening besides more/thicker wood, tighter bolts, sandbags, and a smaller bag?

Comment

• Kyle
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2006

sandbags will make it quieter as will a smaller bag. but keep in mind smaller bags are faster and smaller and way harder to hit. thicker wood always helps but not necesary. try the sand then move on from there if the problem continues. a few dollars of sand goes a long way.
                      ________
                      LIVE SEX
                      Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:46 AM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

No pain even in the first few days?
                        You might get some pain on the skin , chafing etc. which is no big deal. But if it hurts deep down inside the joints, that's bad and means the bag is too hard.

Any other suggestions for noise dampening besides more/thicker wood, tighter bolts, sandbags, and a smaller bag?
                        That's about all you can do really, a free standing unit would not transmit through the walls, but the free standing units are generally INFERIOR to wall units - they move too much.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

No pain even in the first few days? I'll use the super glue, for sure.

It might help to buffer the noise with a wooden frame on the wall. It helped reduce the noise in the bedroom on the other side of the wall, for the wood absorbs the force of the rebounds. I have even seen people add carpet padding behind the wood on the wall to add more cushion.

Remeber, I said "reduce the noise", not eliminate it....
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...