X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

OMG, that is one fantastic platform. Absolutely fantastic work.

Comment

• Sammich111
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2013

Just beautiful workmanship. I'm getting a Balazs soon. Can't wait!!!

Comment

• SpeedoBaggins
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2013

That's pretty remarkable. This is the type of home project that I wouldn't mind getting involved in if I had any woodworking skills. As others have said, the drum itself is a work of art, but its also nice that you took steps to improve functionality as well.

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

.. that's nice and all, but where do the jet engines attach?
          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• sendmorecops
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • May 2012

Oooeeee that's a nice setup. Gleams like a mirror

Comment

• brooklynbagger
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jun 2013

Awesome

I echo the sentiment that this is a true work of art. Did you create multiple plugs to go into the insert space for different fittings? Also, what polyurethane product did you use to finish it? It's a beauty.

Comment

• Cem326
                • Mar 2013

Originally posted by brooklynbagger View Post
                I echo the sentiment that this is a true work of art. Did you create multiple plugs to go into the insert space for different fittings? Also, what polyurethane product did you use to finish it? It's a beauty.
                I made three plugs to start with. I just hung back up the plug with my Deville on it last night. I used a spar varnish for the finish.

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

Can't look away...

Originally posted by Cem326 View Post
                  Some of you might have already done a few of these... I thought I would post this incase it would help someone else.

I also want to say that the I-box is a solid platform. I had very little vibration before making any changes. I did these mainly for fun…
                  I just can't stop looting at this! Sure would be nice to get this to SPEEDB.A.G. V ... we'd have to sell tickets for a turn to hit on it!

It's just a work of art...REALLY well done.
                  Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                  http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Cem326
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                    I just can't stop looting at this! Sure would be nice to get this to SPEEDB.A.G. V ... we'd have to sell tickets for a turn to hit on it!

It's just a work of art...REALLY well done.
                    Thanks, it was fun making it. I hit more boxing style so you guys would probably make it look a lot cooler. I call bible style Globetrotter bagging after the Harlem Globetrotters. Cool stuff!

Comment

• Homer
                      • May 2013

That's beautiful!

Comment

• AtTheCross
                        • Dec 2012

i'll chime in... WOW awesome platform. now lets see some video of you bagging on that work of art!
                        1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
                        Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
                        DevilleSwivel No.13 - Horizontal
                        Powermill Evil Swivel - Vertical (to be installed)
                        Retired Bags:
                        Pro Mex 5x8 - Everlast 4214 7x10

Comment

• brooklynbagger
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jun 2013

Still in awe ...

Every time I come back to your platform, it never ceases to impress.

Additional question if you don't mind. Unfortunately, I've already had to put multiple screw holes in my platform because I did not have the foresight to create the plugs as you did. I'm thinking of retro-fitting it with a fitting for a plug and was wondering if the bolts go all the way through the platform? Do you have to take it off of the v bracket when you change out swivels? Just curious because I would like to change out swivel types but simply can't withoit making a mess of my solid drum with screwholes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, David

Comment

• Cem326
                            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by brooklynbagger View Post
                            Every time I come back to your platform, it never ceases to impress.

Additional question if you don't mind. Unfortunately, I've already had to put multiple screw holes in my platform because I did not have the foresight to create the plugs as you did. I'm thinking of retro-fitting it with a fitting for a plug and was wondering if the bolts go all the way through the platform? Do you have to take it off of the v bracket when you change out swivels? Just curious because I would like to change out swivel types but simply can't withoit making a mess of my solid drum with screwholes. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, David
                            If you look at page two of the PDF I posted you will see four holes in the middle of the top of the drum (picture 2.A). These are countersunk holes with ¼ 20 locknuts permanently epoxied in them. Page three shows the other side of the drum and wood insert plugs. In picture 3.C off to the side you will see long ¼ 20 bolts. These bolts go through the plug/drum into the permanent epoxied locknuts hidden under the v-bracket.

This method can be applied to any solid wood drum at any time. If you’re not handy or don’t have all the tools the insert plug doesn’t have to be countersunk into the drum. I countersunk it because I didn’t want to increase the swing arc of the bag.

Tools you will need
                            Drill – To make the bolt holes
                            Router – To make the countersink circle for the insert plugs and the insert plugs
                            Forstner wood drill – To countersink holes for locknuts
                            Epoxy

Stripped swivel holes are an easy fix.

There is a lot of ways to do this… If you have limited tools you can use a handsaw and a piece of maple (or whatever kind of wood). Turn it so the end grain is up and clamp it that way. Now saw down the board in one direction around two inches. Do this a couple of times around 1/8 inch apart. Then turn the saw 90 degrees to that and cut down again a couple of times. You now have small square pugs that you can break off. Break them off and coat with epoxy. Take a hammer and gently tap them into the striped holes until they bottom out. Then break them off at the surface. Wait until they dry and re-drill the holes to the correct size.

Another way would be to drill the holes out larger with a ¼ inch drill. Buy a ¼ inch plug cutter ($15). Use it to cut out ¼ inch plugs in a scrap piece of maple (or whatever kind of wood). Dip them into epoxy and tap them into the drilled out holes with a hammer. Re-drill holes to the correct size.

Comment

• Mainbeam
                              • Apr 2014

Amazing. You're very talented.

Comment

• Jollygood49
                                • Jan 2013

Nice work! That is one beautiful platform!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...