New to bag hitting in general, where do I start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Downfall
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2016

New to bag hitting in general, where do I start?

I want to buy a platform/ speedbag/ and eventually a heavy bag that I can use at home. I am a beginner and do not know where to start. Any good recommendations? Thanks.
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

To start with, where are you planning to install the platform? This can be as important as the actual equipment. Basement, garage, or spare room in the house. A solid load bearing wall is best. Depending upon your situation it should be as far away from living areas as possible. Not everyone is a fan of the beat of the bag (it's like living with a percussionist) A good solid platform makes all the difference in the world, especially when you are just starting out. Excess vibration dampens the action of the bag, and more than one novice gave up because if a cheap platform. There are a number of good platforms available Balaz and Title offer them, as does Everlast, and others. Avoid the speed bag "kits" as they usually come with the inexpensive particle board platforms, not to mention faux leather bags that tend not to last. Choosing a bag is next. Generally it's recommended that a beginner start of a medium size bag (7x10) but a slightly underinflated 6x9 works well too. Like pointed out , watch out for the artificial leather bags, they don't hold up well.
    This is a start, look in the "Gold Mine' section of the forums for further tips. Others around here will chime in when they can

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      To start with, where are you planning to install the platform? This can be as important as the actual equipment. Basement, garage, or spare room in the house. A solid load bearing wall is best. Depending upon your situation it should be as far away from living areas as possible. Not everyone is a fan of the beat of the bag (it's like living with a percbag, and more than one novice gave up because if a cheap platform. There are a number of good platforms available Balazs and Title offer them, as does Everlast, and others. Avoid the speed bag "kits" as they usually come with the inexpensive particle board platforms, not to mention faux leather bags that tend not to last. Choosing a bag is next. Generally it's recommended that a beginner start of a medium size bag (7x10) but a slightly underinflated 6x9 works well too. Like pointed out , watch out for the artificial leather bags, they don't hold up well.

This is a start, look in the "Gold Mine' section of the forums for further tips. Others around here will chime in when they can
      Brilliant. This makes perfect sense.

Originally posted by Downfall View Post
      I want to buy a platform/ speedbag/ and eventually a heavy bag that I can use at home. I am a beginner and do not know where to start. Any good recommendations? Thanks.
      The options for equipment are many, and could be debated for hours.

As for a sturdy, adjustable wall unit, the I-box by Balazs is really nice.
      http://www.balazsboxing.com/cgi-bin/...age=gear|i-box series

and their Lazer bag comes with a lifetime warranty. It's a bit heavier than other brands of equal size, but it high quality. Another good choice is the Titleboxing speedbags

Swivels can make a big difference in the setup. several recommend swivels are the Deville ballhook and the Swiveltek ballhook.

Once you get your equipment up and running You might also look at the beginner section of Speedbagcentral.com

Hope this helps you start your speed bag journey.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Downfall
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2016

About to buy all the equipment now but I have one last question before I make my purchase. Is that swivel able to hold a heavy or punching bag or is there a good swivel stand I can get that I could eventually use for a heavy bag as well? Also I have very weak shoulders and I was hoping this speed bag will help gain some strength in them what do you think? Thanks!

Also I plan on installing this on a wall or in the basement somewhere. Also has anyone heard of the "EZ Speedbag" what are your thoughts on this? Thanks once again.
        Last edited by Downfall; 12-14-2016, 12:20 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Downfall View Post
          About to buy all the equipment now but I have one last question before I make my purchase. Is that swivel able to hold a heavy or punching bag or is there a good swivel stand I can get that I could eventually use for a heavy bag as well? Also I have very weak shoulders and I was hoping this speed bag will help gain some strength in them what do you think? Thanks!

Also I plan on installing this on a wall or in the basement somewhere. Also has anyone heard of the "EZ Speedbag" what are your thoughts on this? Thanks once again.

Here is a review by a forum member

A few of us tried this at a the gathering and like it. It has a place in the speed bag arsenal and does offer a good workout if you can't use a wall unit.

This is the older version. Chris Rea updated the equipment with better bag and swivel since this video was shot.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Downfall
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            Here is a review by a forum member

A few of us tried this at a the gathering and like it. It has a place in the speed bag arsenal and does offer a good workout if you can't use a wall unit.

This is the older version. Chris Rea updated the equipment with better bag and swivel since this video was shot.
            Brilliant thanks for the response. The EZ Speedbag looks easier to setup but the door setup may get old fast.

Can I use a double end bag with the i-box? And do I need to buy a drum? I am purchasing the i-Box and a Title Gyro 9 x 6 bag - Thanks again!
            Last edited by Downfall; 12-14-2016, 11:05 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...