• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

We need a doctor in here, STAT!

I could use some help resurrecting my old speed bag, if only for one more 5 minute training session. I last used this speed bag over 30 years ago. It is brittle and frail and in need of lots of medical attention.

If I can get this bag on my platform for a few minutes before it implodes, I would be very grateful. Not sure where to start. Bladder went to dust. Laces broke. Strap broke and I attempted to fix the strap with the remnants of the previously mentioned broken laces. Wear marks and tearing all round the middle of the bag where the cheapo platform I had was contacting it.

Ah, but I remember so well the joy and fervor of hitting this bag every day, sometimes for hours, throughout the teen years. And I thought I was pretty good. I'd really like to see how it compares to my current equipment.

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

darn, forgot to post the link to the full high res pics...

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Understand where you are coming from. From the look of those stitches, I don't know if they'll contain a fully inflated bladder now, that is without a serious wrap of duct tape. The loop can be stitched back on with a leather needle and suitable thread from craft store. You can also get the leather lacing there as well, that or just some good shoe laces. I was going to suggest that you check out eBay, as there always seem to be a number 4214's for sale on there, but like I said, I understand where you are coming from........

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

Dutchman, I like your duct tape idea. I may even get away with electrical tape around the midline. Yeah, not trying to restore it so much as reclaim some past glory. I think I was 19 years old when I punched it so hard the strap broke and it flew across the room and broke a lamp. (the lamp part might have been a brady bunch episode, I can't be sure. It did fly off the platform across the room).

Another 4214 from ebay just wouldn't be the same.

-Rusty
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

My old bag is out of intensive care, but still under observation. Will get it back in the gym soon...

-Rusty
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

It's very interesting. I used this old 4214 for about a minute last night, and my first impression is that it feels a heck of a lot like my Title Gyro did before I replaced the bladder. I put the black Title bladder in this bag.

I think those Title factory installed black bladders can make any bag feel dead. I'm gonna have to get this 4214 back into the OR for bladder surgery.

-Rusty
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by ventanakaz
              You should give the 4213 a try, great bag as long as you don't get a dead one, I have four or five and outta those only one has that dead feel to it...Ralph
              Ralph, can you give me a link to an auction or a photo. I did a google search and plenty of diff speed bags came up.

-Rusty
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Oct 2016

I ordered a replacement bladder, 6x9 size, and got this:

To me, it looks too small to be a 6x9 bladder, but I'm not sure. Does anyone know if the Enkay Super 4 is S or XS. I need M size. I have a proper medium in my Title Gyro 7x10 and figured the same bladder would fit this Everlast 4214, but I don't want to deflate and disassemble my Title to confirm. I know the Enkay (Indian) rubber bladders are size Super 4, 6, 8, etc. but I can't find a size chart. Please help.

-Rusty
                @ArcSwivel
                #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                  Speed Bag Historian
                  • Jun 2006

From my research, the Enkay Super 4 bladder is a medium size so it should do the job.

Comment

• rdshackleford
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Oct 2016

I put the Super 4 in the Everlast, and it mostly fits. The neck is loose and I think that is giving the bag a squishy feel and the rebound doesn't pop like the same bladder in the Title Gyro. I am guessing the extra room in the neck area is letting the bladder expand up into it. Maybe I'll try some tape around the neck.

One thing I can report is I forgot how abrasive that 4214 leather is. And the years have not been kind to it. Its like rhino skin. lol.

-Rusty
                    @ArcSwivel
                    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                      Speed Bag Historian
                      • Jun 2006

That grade of leather was used on the 4208, 4210 as well as the 4214 bags during that era. It was that rough when it was new. I had a brown 4210 (which I foolishly sold) that had the Atlanta Olympics seal on it. It appears that these bags were part of an agreement with the AO committee. They all came with the butyl vulcanized rubber bladders initally, although I have seen some late versions that had the plastic bladder.

Comment

• rskbreaker
                        • Jan 2014

It's hard to tell from the pics, but if you need a new strap I can make you one.

Anyone else on the forum want to revive an old bag with a new strap and Chicago screws, you're more than welcome do message me.

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                        I could use some help resurrecting my old speed bag, if only for one more 5 minute training session. I last used this speed bag over 30 years ago. It is brittle and frail and in need of lots of medical attention.

If I can get this bag on my platform for a few minutes before it implodes, I would be very grateful. Not sure where to start. Bladder went to dust. Laces broke. Strap broke and I attempted to fix the strap with the remnants of the previously mentioned broken laces. Wear marks and tearing all round the middle of the bag where the cheapo platform I had was contacting it.

Ah, but I remember so well the joy and fervor of hitting this bag every day, sometimes for hours, throughout the teen years. And I thought I was pretty good. I'd really like to see how it compares to my current equipment.

-Rusty

Comment

• rdshackleford
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by rskbreaker View Post
                          It's hard to tell from the pics, but if you need a new strap I can make you one.

Anyone else on the forum want to revive an old bag with a new strap and Chicago screws, you're more than welcome do message me.
                          Thanks for the offer, but I won't be using this bag for hard training. It is just a nostalgia piece I will bring out from time to time. I just really wanted a blast from the past and sort of to feel young again hitting the old leather like when I was a teen.

-Rusty
                          @ArcSwivel
                          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...