X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

I don't know the seller, or anything about that particular listing. But don't let that sticker price dissuade you. There is a "Make an Offer" button. Often, an eBay seller will place a super high price on a buy-it-now when either they don't know what its worth, or if they just don't want to miss any motivated buyers. My guess is the seller is just waiting to see what kind of offers come in.
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• girllikethat20
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2020

rdshackleford that's an excellent point! They did offer it to me for 5k, but honestly that's just way too far outside of my budget. I don't want to insult them with a terribly low offer, but I guess I have nothing to lose. We of course have other bills and pets that we need to keep in the lifestyle they're accustomed to

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Something to consider is the Everlast institutional platforms. They were actually made from the NMC patterns, which Everlast obtained after NMC folded. Because they don't have the NMC emblem on them they tend to go for less, even tho they are indentical Here's an earlier post that shows this platform https://speedbagforum.com/forums/for...landfill/page2
        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-02-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

• girllikethat20
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2020

Dutchman thank you kindly! I was aware of the Everlast "variation", but haven't had much luck tracking one of those down either. I'll have to keep hunting. It's not critical that it be an NMC, though it would be preferred, because I'm from New England. I've also been doing the usual patent searches for schematics/details (also with no luck. It seems that some NMC items have patents, but not all).

Thanks so much!
          Last edited by girllikethat20; 01-02-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

A lot of the Everlast platforms are still in use in old school gyms and government facilities. They were selling them right up until the business was sold, so within the last 20 years or so. I missed out on an old Spalding platform that was in the old PD headquarters gym years ago. Before I was able to get permission to salvage it, the whole building was sealed off for asbestos abatement. I would hate to think that it wo0un up in the landfill.

Comment

• girllikethat20
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Jan 2020

Dutchman oh that's a sad story! I love that you tried, though. I have a habit of rescuing antiques, so I'm not at all surprised that I'm loving the NMCs.

We have a mid-mod dining room table/chairs with the matching buffet that I found second hand (I'm not actually much for mid-mod, but the price was right and the stuff is rock solid) and I have my grandmother's secretary desk that my dad refurbished (he does woodworking and metal work, so I could mimic the NMC if needed).

Then, there's the pump organ that I saved from certain death. It's pretty beat up (over 100 years old), but I'll restore it and play it some day

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

I used to work for a pipe organ repairman, and we rebuilt a number of parlor reed organs along with several carousel organs. If and when you get to your reed organ feel free to contact me if you have any questions......

Comment

• girllikethat20
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2020

Dutchman wow, what are the chances? That's fantastic and I appreciate your offer! I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions as I restore it. It's a pretty involved project, as it needs a full tear down and cleaning (mice).

Comment

• gfe76
                    • Dec 2011

I have one of these. I think I posted pics of it years ago. I had to refinish the platform. Let me know if you need other pics or dimensions.

Comment

• paranday
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by gfe76 View Post
                      I have one of these. I think I posted pics of it years ago. I had to refinish the platform. Let me know if you need other pics or dimensions.
                      Oh yeah! Your pdf with photos is still available here, you did a fantastic job,

Comment

• malo
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Nov 2020

Hi all - I'm interested in acquiring an Everlast Super Pro platform or a Narragansett. Does anyone have interest to sell or know of any available? There really isn't much of the modern platforms that rivals these for quality. What are the thoughts on the Bond & Bevel upcoming release?

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

Narrangansett platforms show up for sale once and a while. There are still a number of them in commercial use. The next best thing is the Everlast institutional platform, which I have pointed out above. The former tend to be very pricey when they do come on the market, I don't recall seeing any of the Everlast version for sale recently at all, they seem to be still in use.

Comment

• malo
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Nov 2020

Ok thanks for the insight Dutchman. Much appreciated.

Comment

• meademaker
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Aug 2021

Click image for larger version

Name:	NMC-1.png
Views:	278
Size:	2.44 MB
ID:	126432 is anyone in the market for a complete Narragansett Machine Co. platform minus original bag
                              Last edited by meademaker; 08-29-2021, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...