• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rmcgann
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Dec 2014

Nissen Medart Platform Question

I have a old Nissen Medart platform. I have been unable to figure out what a fitting is used for on the back of the platform. It has a nut that fits over it. I would guess it is some type of grease fitting. But, it is threaded. So, It's not an amalgam or zerk fitting. If anyone knows what this is, Please let me know.
    Attached Files
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

What I believe is supposed to be there is the lock down that is used to secure the platform once you have adjusted it to the proper height. Here is a photo of this part of the mechanism

You can see the small lever on the back side of it

Comment

• rmcgann
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Dec 2014

Thank you for the response. I have attached an additional side picture. That includes the handle that locks the platform. The handle is secured with a carriage bolt. That has a small flat hex bolt that is tightened so the carriage bolt doesn't move when the handle is secured and released. The fitting I referenced is on the back-side upper portion of this attached picture. As strange as it sounds, once you remove the nut over the fitting, it almost looks like a slightly large tire valve stem.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

Hmm, to be honest, I've only seen a few of these, didn't pay that close attention to these details. So I take it the threads don't look like NPT ones? It could be a lubrication point

Comment

• rmcgann
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Dec 2014

I don't think the threads are NPT ones. The nut that goes over it is just a regular bolt nut. Also, the fitting is just like a regular bolt, it doesn't taper. I do think it is a lubrication point. But, not what I would traditionally think of as a grease point on a metal part because it isn't an amalgam or zerk fitting. I could always put the straw part of a can of WD-40 or lithium grease or something like that and shoot some thought the small hole. But, I was wondering if there was an antique fitting or something I'm not aware of. I included two additional picture attachments, I think they show a better profile of what I'm referencing.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

I would have said a grease cup, (they come in many different sizes) but all the ones that I have used (and I have used a LOT of them) over the years have tapered NPT threads.

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

My guess is it is a stop to keep the platform from traveling past the highest point. The mechanism reminds me a lot of my drill press. Same style lockdown handle.
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                My guess is it is a stop to keep the platform from traveling past the highest point. The mechanism reminds me a lot of my drill press. Same style lockdown handle.
                Bingo! That's it Rusty. Come to think of that's near identical to the setup on my great grandfather's post drill that my father has.

Comment

• rmcgann
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Dec 2014

I've always wondered what it was, and it being a stop sounds correct. Ventanakaz, I have attached a picture of my platform setup. One again thank you all for the input, I appreciate it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• StevieMac
                    • Oct 2010

That's a nice looking platform

Comment

• Bag Man
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by rmcgann View Post
                      I've always wondered what it was, and it being a stop sounds correct. Ventanakaz, I have attached a picture of my platform setup. One again thank you all for the input, I appreciate it.
                      I'm a bit perplexed by this one.

Does the mechanism say Nissen Medart? The model of this style that I am familiar with only had the Medart name and date of 1912. The support arms are wood and the platform of a different design. Finally, it was not blue (perhaps that is not the original color). Is this a later model of the one I'm familiar with?

Bag Man
                      "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

From a post almost two years ago http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...ad.php?p=47728

Comment

• Bag Man
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          Interesting.

Looks like a copy of an earlier piece made by Medart.
                          "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...