X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dax_q
    • Jan 2008

Bag Shapes - differences?

Can someone please explain the different bag shapes. I have heard banana and tear. Are there other shapes and what are the differences when hitting them?
    Thanks,
    Dax
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by dax_q View Post
    Can someone please explain the different bag shapes. I have heard banana and tear. Are there other shapes and what are the differences when hitting them? Thanks, Dax
    Hi Dax,

Sure, first, the terms have nothing to do with bag size or brands.

SHAPE:

We are referring to the "shape" of the bag, regardless of size. The terms "banana" and "teardrop" simply refer to what the shape of the bag looks like. It is easiest to see in the great bag comparison pictures posted by Tim.

Just look to the right side of the picture. In the top row, the small red bag is long and skinny, resembling a banana. Then look below it to the yellow bag, which is shaped more like a teardrop. Actually, to ME the ultimate teardrop shape is the black bag just to the left of the yellow bag, which is an Everlast 4200 in the bottom row. Right from the bag strap (part that attaches to hook) the bag shape starts expanding outwards.

Another comparison is the two bags to the left on the top row. The first bag, Red Classic 8x5, looks like a teardrop, the 8x5 Rival next to it is the same size but doesn't look quite as "fat" for the bag shape is a bit longer and leaner at the top - but the belly of the bag may actually be the same width. It just looks a bit thinner due to the variation in overall shape. I wouldn't call this bag a banana shape, but a more subtle teardrop appearance. Again in the top row, the small Everlast right in the middle is definitely a "banana" shape.

++++++++++++++++++++++++

BAG ACTION: (how they hit)

I actually think this is simply a "personal preference" issue with no science to back it up except the sense of it off your own hands. I personally prefer the teardrop shape, because per size it would be a bit fatter in the middle "belly" area where it contacts the board. And the belly is just a bit "lower" closer to the bag bottom in the teardrop, since it tucks under faster to be fatter, rather than the less several slope in the banana bag.

I can't back my opinion up with anything but personal experience, and having used both shapes extensively, I prefer the teardrop shape, and happen to believe they have a faster and "better" (more pleasing) rebound arc for the way I hit. I learned on the teardrop shape, punched it for over 25 years and then the companies went and made their bags skinnier. I gotta believe that money and cost had something to do with it, but I didn't hear a cry go up from the speed bag community saying, "hey we want skinnier looking bags". (OK, that's a bit cynical, but I hated the change personally). Experience baggers that have great control, and extended knowledge and skill with many techniques and combinations from all around the bag will certainly have the ability to control both shapes, but will probably prefer one shape over the other.

I hope this helps explain the difference in terms for you.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• riqal
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2006

My 8 x 5 teardrop everlast pro moves faster than my 6 x 4 banana everlast pro. And as Alan says, the teardrop is more pleasing to hit.

Comment

• dax_q
        • Jan 2008

Thanks Alan. That is pretty much what I thought. Thanks for clarifying.
        -Dax

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by riqal View Post
          My 8 x 5 teardrop everlast pro moves faster than my 6 x 4 banana everlast pro. And as Alan says, the teardrop is more pleasing to hit.
          and that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

(Banana's are fine for eating, but not hanging from a board.

well, not my board(s) anyway.)
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• JasonDMX2
            • Feb 2008

Should I even bother with a ringside or everlast 7x4 then?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JasonDMX2 View Post
              Should I even bother with a ringside or everlast 7x4 then?
              Until you really hit then for a while yourself, It is hard to say. My opinion is only based on having several banana shaped bags and simply preferring the teardrop, or rounder bags. None of them are BAD per se, and the Ringside 7x4 is (red long bag) is fast. It could take all I could give it - I'm just partial to the fatter bags.

If you can't find one to try, then spring for one of them and see how you like it. You can always use it as a backup bag if your other one goes flat.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...