Questions (air, lube & Powermill swivel)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spd20
    • Apr 2011

Questions (air, lube & Powermill swivel)

A few questions if you don't mind.

Is there any type of standard for airing up a speed bag? Meaning, is there a certain psi or do you just fill it up until if feels comfortable to you?

My fairly new chainlink everlast (I think) swivel is developing rust and is now squeaking when I hit. Do you see any problems using wd40 or a teflon lubricant to keep things silent and moving more smoothly?

I'm interested in getting a Powermill swivel to replace my current chainlink (non-ball) swivel. First off, will bagging become easier or more difficult adapting to a ball swivel? Secondly, does anyone know if Jumpcannon can add a u-bolt type of hook instead of an S-hook? ...or would this defeat some sort of purpose on how it currently performs. Thanks.
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by spd20 View Post
    A few questions if you don't mind.

Is there any type of standard for airing up a speed bag? Meaning, is there a certain psi or do you just fill it up until if feels comfortable to you?
    As you know I'm new here too...just 2 months into it now...but I had some of the same questions. You can find pretty much all the answers by reading through all the threads or do a search. That said,you should do it by feel. Put a lot of air in the bag and it will be too hard and hurt your hands...too little and it will rebound slow (soft & spongy)...for me, just right is when you can push your thumb into the bag about a 1/4" as you squeeze it. I fill it to where I think it might be right, hit it a bit and either add a few pumps...or let a little air out till it feels right and reacts to my liking.

My fairly new chainlink everlast (I think) swivel is developing rust and is now squeaking when I hit. Do you see any problems using wd40 or a teflon lubricant to keep things silent and moving more smoothly?
    I don't think you can hurt anything with any of the mentioned lubricants. I use WD40 on my "U-Bolt" swivel...and 3 in1 oil on my Powermill Evil Swivel...apply as needed.

I'm interested in getting a Powermill swivel to replace my current chainlink (non-ball) swivel. First off, will bagging become easier or more difficult adapting to a ball swivel? Secondly, does anyone know if Jumpcannon can add a u-bolt type of hook instead of an S-hook? ...or would this defeat some sort of purpose on how it currently performs. Thanks.
    I didn't have any trouble changing over from the U-bolt to the Powermill...but either way, it would only take a bit of hitting to get used to it.

The best part of the S-hook is quick & easy bag changes.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• spd20
      • Apr 2011

As you know I'm new here too...just 2 months into it now...but I had some of the same questions. You can find pretty much all the answers by reading through all the threads or do a search.
      Thanks, Zaza. I guess I'll do a search next time. Sometimes I feel more confident with answers that were more recent. FWIW, I have read several threads in the forum.

I guess there could be a FAQ or primer for newbies....but then again I guess the forum would lose a lot of activity that way....and personalization as well.

That said,you should do it by feel. Put a lot of air in the bag and it will be too hard and hurt your hands...too little and it will rebound slow (soft & spongy)...for me, just right is when you can push your thumb into the bag about a 1/4" as you squeeze it. I fill it to where I think it might be right, hit it a bit and either add a few pumps...or let a little air out till it feels right and reacts to my liking.
      Thanks. Just as I figured. After awhile I felt as though I really had to hit the bag harder than usual. I decided to pump it up more than the 1st time. That really changed the feel. It felt like a brick and I had less control over the bag. However I did take advantage of that because I felt it was a good way to learn how keep the bag in check.

No biggie, either way. I was just curious if there was a standard for the sport.

I don't think you can hurt anything with any of the mentioned lubricants. I use WD40 on my "U-Bolt" swivel...and 3 in1 oil on my Powermill Evil Swivel...apply as needed.
      As silly as it may sound I was curious if it would give the swivel too much play. I think I'll try the dry teflon lubricant on it. Can't believe this thing is already started to squeak and rust. That's Houston humidity for ya.

I didn't have any trouble changing over from the U-bolt to the Powermill...but either way, it would only take a bit of hitting to get used to it.
      It certainly wouldn't be a deterrent if it were harder (I'd actually love the challenge). I was just curious is all. I think it was ExEODCDR that mentioned in a thread that it was a bit more difficult moving over to the Powermill at first. I don't remember if he had a ball swivel before that or not though. I do not have a ball swivel right now.

The best part of the S-hook is quick & easy bag changes.
      Yes, no doubt. I have a chain link and that thing is a pain to take off. I'd love a powermill with a U-bolt. I'm sure it's probably rare but I want the confidence that this bag isn't going to come flying off of the S-hook.

Thanks, Zaza, for help and information.

Comment

• spd20
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
        Unfortunately it actually did hinder the performance. As I suspected, it created too much play in terms of swivel movement. It's nearly impossible to use as any slight mis-hit spins it out of control and into a stop.

I would not suggest a dry teflon lube spray on a chain link style swivel. I'm not sure what this is called but it doesn't have the ball mechanism...it's the other type made for straight hitting (or at least I believe that is what Tim mentioned).

Looks like I'll be saving up money for Jumpcannon and his Powermill Evil Swivel.

Comment

• ExEODCDR
          • Apr 2011

I'm from Houston but am in St Augustine, FL now - same humidity! I actually use Remington gun oil on my swivels and everything moves nice, no rust... I'm an Army guy, so got a few bottles of gun oil lying around... and some leather conditioner too... so my speed bag gear will always be in top condition!

Changing from the U-bolt to JumpCannon's "Evil" swivel took a few days to get used to for me. When I started on the ball swivel the bag would bounce off at unintended angles. I could tell that the U-bolt helped the bag "track" in a straighter line, whereas the ball swivel took the bag EXACTLY where I hit it - so I developed a little more discipline and consistency in my hitting. I'm actually hitting front to back and crossing outward elbows now. The first few days were frustrating but worth it. Even JumpCannon said it took him like 2 weeks to "get it" when he transitioned from a U-bolt to a ball swivel. Pack up your U-bolt, return it to the store, get the "Evil" swivel.

Also, I love the S-hook and the ease of changing bags! Very cool feature. I do swap between my ringside and my everlast bags often - takes 2 seconds or less to swap bags. I have been hitting and the bag has flown off a couple times. No biggie -- I pat myself on the back and I flex and point out how strong I am to myself... I plan on increasing my bag collection soon, so that feature will continue to be nice.

I'm addicted. It's a great challenge, release, and workout. Good luck!
          Last edited by ExEODCDR; 05-11-2011, 12:02 AM.
          -
          Owner/Operator
          www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• spd20
            • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ExEODCDR View Post
            I'm from Houston but am in St Augustine, FL now - same humidity! I actually use Remington gun oil on my swivels and everything moves nice, no rust... I'm an Army guy, so got a few bottles of gun oil lying around... and some leather conditioner too... so my speed bag gear will always be in top condition!

Changing from the U-bolt to JumpCannon's "Evil" swivel took a few days to get used to for me. When I started on the ball swivel the bag would bounce off at unintended angles. I could tell that the U-bolt helped the bag "track" in a straighter line, whereas the ball swivel took the bag EXACTLY where I hit it - so I developed a little more discipline and consistency in my hitting. I'm actually hitting front to back and crossing outward elbows now. The first few days were frustrating but worth it. Even JumpCannon said it took him like 2 weeks to "get it" when he transitioned from a U-bolt to a ball swivel. Pack up your U-bolt, return it to the store, get the "Evil" swivel.

Also, I love the S-hook and the ease of changing bags! Very cool feature. I do swap between my ringside and my everlast bags often - takes 2 seconds or less to swap bags. I have been hitting and the bag has flown off a couple times. No biggie -- I pat myself on the back and I flex and point out how strong I am to myself... I plan on increasing my bag collection soon, so that feature will continue to be nice.

I'm addicted. It's a great challenge, release, and workout. Good luck!
            Thanks for all of the tried and true information and advice.

Sounds like another endorsement for the Powermill. That will be exciting to get a ball swivel to allow for multidirectional hitting. I've toyed with practicing side hits but there's virtually no way to transition to side to side on this swivel (at least at my stage of beginner).

ExEODCDR, I remember you mentioned being into woodworking. Do you have any idea on how to reverse the effects of teflon lubricant spray? It's nearly impossible to hit on this bag cleanly and I'm already jonesing for another speed bag session despite it only being 1 day without hitting. Anyway, I'm off to do some internet searches on the matter.

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by spd20 View Post
              Unfortunately it actually did hinder the performance. As I suspected, it created too much play in terms of swivel movement. It's nearly impossible to use as any slight mis-hit spins it out of control and into a stop.
              I would have to respectively disagree...it's not the swivel that's making the bag swing out of control, it's the mis-hits. The smoother swing & freedom of the swivel will only make you better. If this bothered you, you're going to hate the Powermill until you can get a consistant punch going. Like ExEODCDR said, "my first few hits and the bag went 90 degrees sideways... I checked to make sure my wrists were screwed on right... they were... " (BEST post ever!)

Practice, practice, practice...
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• spd20
                • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                I would have to respectively disagree...it's not the swivel that's making the bag swing out of control, it's the mis-hits. The smoother swing & freedom of the swivel will only make you better. If this bothered you, you're going to hate the Powermill until you can get a consistant punch going. Like ExEODCDR said, "my first few hits and the bag went 90 degrees sideways... I checked to make sure my wrists were screwed on right... they were... " (BEST post ever!)

Practice, practice, practice...
                That was my initial thinking....that I'm not hitting perfectly straight through and that perhaps my technique was off. It's just strange that it's night and day. I feel as though I was controlling the bag fairly well before for decent periods of time. Now, I don't last for more than a few punches without the swivel going nuts.
                I have a feeling that with a ball swivel you can at least control it. If you mishit, the bag will wonder slightly out of line but you can bring it back into check with your next punch. You can do that because the ball swivel allows for all directions obviously.
                With my type of swivel (at its current lubricated state), it basically has a mind of it's own with the slightest error and clumsily turns to a stop. This was somewhat the case when I first started using it but wasn't even close to this mess.
                I have no problem conceding that my technique probably sucks....I just don't think it's this bad! Of course I'll probably be laughing at how bad I really am (and how much a cheat a chain swivel is) once I try the ball swivel.

I may have to try to capture video of this thing and post it.

Comment

• spd20
                  • Apr 2011

Acetone (nail polish remover) can apparently be used to break down waxes. Posting by the very slim chance that someone else may want the info.

Comment

• ExEODCDR
                    • Apr 2011

Yes. Acetone or rubbing alcohol will remove waxes and oils from metal parts very well.

Your technique and hits will improve with each session. This forum is a gold mine of information do a lot of reading. I watch every video I can to see peoples techniques. MetalDad, NovaBagger, Hammer and others have some amazing vids and have been doing this for a long time. Very fast, amazing... intimidating... But even newer folks like Zaza and MacZero Have posted videos that i use as examples to improve. Watch speedbag skunk on youtube he's got a few vids that breakdown the basics and he really gave me some direction my first week. Good luck!

...and yea... doesn't hurt to check if your wrists are screwed on right somedays!! LOL!
                    -
                    Owner/Operator
                    www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• spd20
                      • Apr 2011

Definitely agree. All of the bagger videos are a huge help. It's great to see what everyone brings to the table and you end up picking up on things from each person.

Speedbag Skunk. Very cool. He looks like a speedbagging wizard. Thanks for the tip.

I couldn't take the dodgy side-to-side hitch in this swivel ever since lubricating it. I'd love to see some folks hitting on that thing. I know that I can't (well I could before spritzing it with teflon). Until I either do Nova's mod or I get a Powermill swivel, I decided to do a silly mod/cheat on this swivel for now so that I can at least continue my workouts (and addiction).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...