• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

MsDeville, Pat Metheny, and a Title Speed Bag

First of all,
    Happy 4th of July USA members of the Forum!

(What I meant to say was, "Happy Independence Day USA members. Happy 4th of July to Everyone on the Forum! )

Well, here I go again. Just can't hold myself back. This song rotated in to my playlist on my ipod, and I just had to play along with it. I seem to be stuck in an 80's phase lately. Please excuse the stumbling in the beginning...took me a few seconds to find the tempo...

Nothing fancy here, but, thought I'd share my addiction with everyone anyway.

Last edited by MsDeville; 07-06-2010, 10:20 PM.
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

Is there a number we can call??, or just the local NA/AA. Sweet Moves!
    The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

... but it's a GOOD addiction..

Originally posted by spdyTommyT View Post
      Is there a number we can call??, or just the local NA/AA. Sweet Moves!
      Hey TommyT! No need to call...
      I think my son Dan and his girlfriend, Melissa, might have already done so. They made the mistake yesterday of stopping by with Melissa's brother, Andrew. But, they started it!! They asked me how it's going... [Captured Audience!!!! out came the laptop and videos] I think Andrew (he's 27) was actually interested in the speed bagging. He said he had one when he was younger but had made the mistake of simply attaching it to the sheetrock of his room. Didn't last long. I took him out to the woodshed and he shows promise. Who knows, maybe he'll invest in another platform and bag in the near future!
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

That song is not the easiest to hit to - with a sort of wierd flow to the melody, but you figured it out. Great job on your part! I'd classify that as a tough tune to punch to.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Eighty-Eight

• Feb 2008

Dee,
          I like the way you take a technique (say, splitting the fists at 1:05), use it as a theme and work it for a while. Then you do another technique (I-DES & O-DES at 1:33), work it, explore variations, and then combine it with previous techniques (1:40 - 2:00). Interesting is the way you do splitting the fists then reverse the fist order by inserting a Reverse Straight Punch. At the finale (4:26), you work that combo by continuously alternating sides, just before you switch to the split screen effect. Man, you have that move down! Do you map this stuff out in your head, or do you just go with the flow?

Your iMovie skills are happening. That intro is so impressive. All I needed was some popcorn.

Jack

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Eighty-Eight View Post
            Dee,
            I like the way you take a technique (say, splitting the fists at 1:05), use it as a theme and work it for a while. Then you do another technique (I-DES & O-DES at 1:33), work it, explore variations, and then combine it with previous techniques (1:40 - 2:00). Interesting is the way you do splitting the fists then reverse the fist order by inserting a Reverse Straight Punch. At the finale (4:26), you work that combo by continuously alternating sides, just before you switch to the split screen effect. Man, you have that move down! Do you map this stuff out in your head, or do you just go with the flow?

Your iMovie skills are happening. That intro is so impressive. All I needed was some popcorn.

Jack
            The themes and variations are really mesmerizing to me. She's become a musician herself.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

If you can find a good beat...

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              That song is not the easiest to hit to – with a sort of wierd flow to the melody,
              but you figured it out. Great job on your part! I'd classify that as a tough tune to punch to.
              Yes. I never listened to this track much for that exact reason... Then, the other night I let the song play out and I found the beat. And, then, there was the "MsD-Factor" as per my modus operandi – the moon was in proper alignment with the northern stars, and my mood was just right... I kept it pretty simple. Not a big variety of punches... but I didn't think this song qualified to have a lot... it's very repetitious in itself, I guess I liked the simplicity of the punches that I did use... (Oh, I know this is far from perfect, and off beat in a few spots, but not enough to distract the viewer, I hope!)

I've been in a "I think I could/would punch to ANYTHING with a good beat!" mood since coming back from SB 2010. I am hopelessly addicted right now. The bag has a grip on me and it's not letting go!

Dee,
              I like the way you take a technique (say, splitting the fists at 1:05), use it as a theme and work it for a while. Then you do another technique (I-DES & O-DES at 1:33), work it, explore variations, and then combine it with previous techniques (1:40 - 2:00). Interesting is the way you do splitting the fists then reverse the fist order by inserting a Reverse Straight Punch. At the finale (4:26), you work that combo by continuously alternating sides, just before you switch to the split screen effect.

Man, you have that move down! Do you map this stuff out in your head, or do you just go with the flow?
              Hmmm... I don't know. I am so wrapped up in the flow of the song, I guess I must intuitively/instinctively (?) know when it's time to switch things out. Heck. I just don't know.

Jack
              Thanks, Jack. (My hope is that my videos will entertain...) And, this addiction seems to be bringing out things in me I never knew I had...

Originally posted by paranday View Post
              The themes and variations are really mesmerizing to me. She's become a musician herself.
              Thanks, Jim. You know, I started this 10 months ago simply as a way to get back in shape. Little did I know that it would lead me down this path of creativity that has been over-grown for so many years.

So, now, I'm taking chances – and just goin' with whatever gets my creative juices flowing... I guess speed baggin' to music is it! Glad I found a forum that serves my addiction well! I scour this forum, and value the information, opinions, etc. from everyone here. From the Newbie to the seasoned veterans of SB-ing. Everyone brings something to the table worth reading/viewing.

Comment

• crapshoot
                • Apr 2010

I'll admit that I am not at all a Methany fan. But, as far as your vids and hitting, I am quite the opposite!

Comment

• Roc Stone
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2007

Reverse doubles, no troubles. Good to see!
                  sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• The Baggist
                    Vert Baggin' Master
                    • May 2009

Great flow with the music!! This is WHY there is a SPEED BAG FORUM, there doesn't seem to be a "heavy bag" forum or a "rowing machine" forum. The speed bag seems to be one of the few pieces of fitness equipment that people express themselves as an artist......and p.s. Ms Deville,.....the addiction only gets worse!!!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                      Reverse doubles, no troubles. Good to see!
                      Yup, but still need lots of practice. Luckily, I don't mind!

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post
                      I'll admit that I am not at all a Methany fan. But, as far as your vids and hitting, I am quite the opposite!
                      ME NEITHER! I heard one song on some soft-jazz radio station back in the 90's and on impulse, bought the cassette. Found out I liked only the song that was on the radio!

Thanks so much for the compliment, crapshoot! So, when are you gonna punch-drum to Metheny?!

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
                      Great flow with the music!! This is WHY there is a SPEED BAG FORUM, there doesn't seem to be a "heavy bag" forum or a "rowing machine" forum. The speed bag seems to be one of the few pieces of fitness equipment that people express themselves as an artist......and p.s. Ms Deville,.....the addiction only gets worse!!!
                      Oh, my. I'm in trouble then... I'm already shirking my laundry and vacuuming chores...

Comment

• Speedbag
                        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Dee,

Jack
                        I would say "Usually not". Mapping out a song, or section of it, is OK for practice but when your "performing" on the bag, improvising to the song, it's best if you don't have to think about your instrument, or how to play it. The repetition of practice - hours of time honing the techniques, combinations - and learning the sounds they make, will drill the store house of rhythmic potential. Then, when the music starts - you just let it out.

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                        Hmmm... I don't know. I am so wrapped up in the flow of the song, I guess I must intuitively/instinctively (?) know when it's time to switch things out. Heck. I just don't know.
                        Actually, Dee, that is the best way. You will find that certain combinations are really "dead on" for some parts of a song (2,4,8 measures) and then you need to move onto something else. You can always try to do those same combo's at the section (ie...the 5-1 combo on the melody pattern of "Mortal Combat"), or you can change it up. You may hit to the same song 20 times and never hit to it the same way, yet all will look and sound great. For instance you can do a "three accented beat sequence" with a 3-Punch Fist Roll (Front or Reverse), or a
                        3-Punch Monty starting from front or reverse, or an Outward, Downward or Side Triple Elbow Strike, yet the 3-beat pattern will be exactly the same. The sound remains the same, but the look is entirely different. And you really need that flexibility of sound reproduction because you're never sure where you hands will be when that 3 beat sound is needed.

Go on, Girl. You B Jammin!
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

I would say "Usually not". Mapping out a song, or section of it, is OK for practice but when your "performing" on the bag, improvising to the song, it's best if you don't have to think about your instrument, or how to play it. The repetition of practice - hours of time honing the techniques, combinations - and learning the sounds they make, will drill the store house of rhythmic potential. Then, when the music starts - you just let it out.
                          YES!

Those hours and hours under the board are beginning to pay off!! I think this is key to capturing the essence of a song...

Actually, Dee, that is the best way. You will find that certain combinations are really "dead on" for some parts of a song (2,4,8 measures) and then you need to move onto something else. You can always try to do those same combo's at the section (ie...the 5-1 combo on the melody pattern of "Mortal Combat"), or you can change it up. You may hit to the same song 20 times and never hit to it the same way, yet all will look and sound great. For instance you can do a "three accented beat sequence" with a 3-Punch Fist Roll (Front or Reverse), or a 3-Punch Monty starting from front or reverse, or an Outward, Downward or Side Triple Elbow Strike, yet the 3-beat pattern will be exactly the same. The sound remains the same, but the look is entirely different. And you really need that flexibility of sound reproduction because you're never sure where you hands will be when that 3 beat sound is needed.

Go on, Girl. You B Jammin!

Thank you, Alan! I'm a jammin' machine lately! In fact, after reading this post last night, I was so inspired by your words, I went out and "jammed" with Metheny for an hour or so... And now, I'm afraid I have another video to post.

I finally punched to (and recorded) the song I had ORIGINALLY intended on punching to – called "Are You Going With Me?." It's a LONG one, though – gonna take a while to upload – but I hope a few of you will appreciate and enjoy it. I was feelin' the "groove" big time! Maybe I'll make crapshoot a die-hard Metheny fan ...

It's encouraging to know that my method of incorporating different punches is working – well, it seems to work for me... I just can't think out a pattern in advance. I suppose that's what "jammin' " is all about, right? Just going with emotion, mood, etc. And, right now, Metheny – and my Title bag – is my conduit for conveying this...

Thanks again for the comment, Alan.
                          Last edited by MsDeville; 07-07-2010, 01:53 PM. Reason: For clarity.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

I hope you don't come to regret those words!

Originally posted by crapshoot View Post

As I stated earlier, crapshoot, I'm really not much of a fan of Pat Metheny. I bought only that one album years ago because of just one song on it that I liked.

Well, the other night, I finally punched to that song. I was putting it off until I felt I had the stamina for it – after all, it's over 8 minutes long!

But, don't let the length of it scare you off – heck, I suppose the fact that it's another blasted Pat Metheny tune will do that!

If you liked the hypnotic effect you got from watching "Eighteen," you're gonna love this one! Just think...If you're having trouble sleeping at night, this "feature-length" video just might be the medicine for your insomnia!

It's called, "Are You Going With Me?"

Comment

• deano
                              Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

always a good look

hey Dee,great meeting you at SB2010,how good was it.looks like a few people have inspired you,AK with his faultless punch drumming and Scissor with his
                              video skills,theres nothing you cant do,you are amazing,its all been said,really enjoyed our time together.take it easy deano

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...