X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deano
    Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

you don't do things by halves Dee do you, you go all out. side punching, punch drumming, or anything else for that matter would be no problem for you. That is a top old song you punched to. There has been some controversy with that " down under " song, supposedly the tune was pinched from the kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, stuffed if I can hear any kookaburra tune in down under but the courts ruled that millions had to be paid back in royalties. Anyhow keep punching Dee, and keep the videos rolling. deano

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Great Direction!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      Yes, BUT - the simple truth is: If you can pass a fist from front to back, you can also past a fist from front to side. It is actually a wrist move more than anything else, and just angles your fist into a side panel of the bag rather than a front panel. Think of a Front Fist Roll, which you do beautifully. Now, (do it slow as you read....). Normally as you are rolling, your left fist hits the bag, your right fist would roll under your left, come up in front of your face, just passing over your left. The key is your fists are in Front Circle Punch Position at this point.

Your right fist can easily make a Side Single Punch (SSP) at the point that your left contacts the bag. as your left contacts the bag, instead of rolling the right Fist down and under toward your chin, try to angle your right fist into a Front Straight Punch (FSP) position (twist it a bit making the little finger come toward your wrist. This will angle the thumb side of your right fist toward the bag, allowing that area (same area as a Reverse Single Punch RSP) of the fist to contact the bag. With your wrist turned the way, make a slightly inward movement across your face and you should hit the Front-Side panel of the bag making it go slightly sideways. It is a very subtle move, twisting the hand a bit for the position, (this twist also allow the lead part of the belly of the bag to miss your fist) and let your movement contact the side panel area. If you do this from a Front Fist Roll, (F-Roll) you do not have to alter your Fist Rolling elbow position. With a bit of practice you will learn to anticipate doing this and just after your right fist hits the bag in the F-Roll you will begin to angle the continuing movement just a bit out to the side as you twist your fist position. moving the fist just a bit out to the side will also give the bag a bit more room to clear that fist and expose the side panel.

1. So, now you are F-Rolling and simple angle the Right fist a bit out and twist the wrist, hitting the bag on the thumb side of your Right fist - and the bag goes sideways. Ugh oh, now what....

2. no problem. the key here is what you want to do with the left fist. You will learn to anticipate this also. as the left fist hit in the roll, (2a) you can either float it out to the side, preparing the be the second fist of a Side Double Punch (SDP) or (2b) you could pass it under the bag to be the second fist of a Side-Reverse Double Punch (S-RDP).

Written these would be:

1. (R-L-R-L)..F-Roll ' (R)-SSP

2a. (R-L-R-L)..F-Roll ' (R)-SSP ' ' (R-L)-SDP (* notice right fist hits side and returns after two rebounds to lead the SDP)

2b. (R-L-R-L)..F-Roll ' (R)-SSP ' (R-L)-S-RDP (* notice left fist passed under the bag to the Reverse position)

Using number 1: you can now easily transition from a F-Roll to SDP combinations.

F-ROLL ' SSP ' SDP ' ' SDP.....
      (it really doesn't matter which fist goes to the SSP, it works with Right or Left)

Wow! These are great instructions.

Thanks for spelling it all out so clearly for me, Alan. Now, it's just a matter of getting focused and doing drills. This is a lot to take in... and I'm an old dog ... but a determined one! My first objective is to stop leading with my left so much. ... I must have balance. (I've noticed that my right arm isn't as trim as my left .) Not good.

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by deano View Post
        you don't do things by halves Dee do you, you go all out. side punching, punch drumming, or anything else for that matter would be no problem for you. That is a top old song you punched to. There has been some controversy with that " down under " song, supposedly the tune was pinched from the kookaburra sits in the old gum tree, stuffed if I can hear any kookaburra tune in down under but the courts ruled that millions had to be paid back in royalties. Anyhow keep punching Dee, and keep the videos rolling. deano
        Yes, I had heard about that lawsuit... Crazy. I remember singing that Kookaburra song in grade school. Along with "Waltzing Matilda."

You don't have to worry... I'm going to keep on punching. Between Alan's suggestions, and trying to figure out your punching style, I've got plenty to work on, too! I'm hoping to have a "variation" of your side punching in an upcoming video...

But, for now, here's yet another video that I recorded yesterday. After all, there's been a full moon these past few nights and, for some reason, I must punch when the full moon is rising.

Baloney. Who am I kidding.

I simply MUST PUNCH. Period.

In this video, I tried to remember to use my fists equally... I didn't do very well...
        ...I have a very strong-willed left fist!

Last edited by MsDeville; 08-24-2010, 10:04 AM. Reason: Re-uploaded higher-quality "Lonely Road" video.
        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• PIEFURZ
          Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

Nice bagging

Ms D, nice post, very relaxing!!

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Vegemite sandwich time!
            sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by PIEFURZ View Post
              Ms D, nice post, very relaxing!!
              X2.

Dee, a Very nice mix of combo's. I really like your split fist movements and keeping time dead on during your change over's. You're really start to own the move!

There are some times in this song that some of the syncopated combinations could really follow the beat of the melody. (This may write a bit wierd but hang with me here...)

listen to the meloday beat pattern at 1:01 - 1:06 and 2:06 - 2:12 and longer at 3:24 - 3:36

It goes..... da-da-da-da-da, - da-da, - da-da, - Da... repeat. this pattern starts when the singers says "....lonely ROAD" ( I count the word "road" as being the 1 beat (down beat) of the next measure.

Anyway, for the bag you can easily repeat the 5 beat, double beat, double beat, single beat pattern, using a Five punch punch fist roll, several double punches and a single fist at the end. Written in my speed bag format it would be:

F-Roll x5 ' ' RDP ' ' FDP ' ' RSP ' ' ' ' ...repeat. notice the RSP is underlined. I did that to note that you must hit this punch a bit harder (accent it) to have the bag make 4 rebounds, allowing you to start the pattern over again from the front of the bag. If you don't hit it harder to add the fourth rebound you will have to start the pattern from behind the bag with a five punch Reverse Fist Roll, and it will much harder to time that correctly on three rebounds. Notice this pattern starts (First punch of F-Roll) solidly "on" beat 1 of the measure, and also ends with the Reverse Single Punch (RSP) directly ON beat 4 of that measure. Actually The first punch of the Roll starts on beat 1 and the fifth punch of the Roll hits directly on beat 2. The RSP lands on beat 4, so if you think about it 3 or the 4 the main beats in the measure also have a fist land on them, which is why you will hear this as being directly ON the beat, but there is some syncopation thrown in during the double punch sequence. no matter, just have every fist land the bag along with the bass part and your bag beat will be following that part of the melody. Pretty cool and easy to recognize here.

For other parts of the song, you could actually repeat this some combo but make the 5 punch F-Roll a 7 punch roll because you will need a few pick up beats occassionally to carry over from the last measure. after the RSP, just return front on two rebounds and add 2 extra rolling punches. Punch 3 of that 7 punch roll will be on beat 1 of the next measure, starting the pattern again.

It sounds complicated on paper but this is really not hard to do on the bag and you certainly have the punching skill with these combinations to do this.

{Tip: To do F-ROll x5 ' ' RDP smoothly, look at a possible fist order of this combo: F-Roll = R-L-R-L-R ' ' RDP = R-L. notice the last fist of the Roll led the RDP behind the bag. (Right in this example). There are two secrets here. First, note the last two punches of the F-Roll are L-R, which could also be a Front Double Punch if you think about it. the second secret is to let the lead fist of that FDP "L" (fourth punch in the F-Roll) to simply hit and extend through the bag, and then let the Right hit and follow it. exactly like a FDP ' ' RDP, with three punches added on in before it. The easy way is just to extend the left, then right straight out, then right back for the RDP. the left leads, then the right which will automatically put them in the proper position to pull them back in a R-L order. the whole combo would be: R-L-R-L-R ' ' R-L ' ' L-R ' ' R...repeat, or add 2 punches R-L onto the F-Roll.

Air Punch it slowly as you read. It will soon be easy
              Last edited by Speedbag; 08-26-2010, 11:35 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...