X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IronCannibal
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2017

Just fulfilling the requirements of registration.

I've been fascinated with speed bagging since I first saw one in Rocky as a kid. Until now, I've never owned one.

Finally purchased one of Everlasts adjustable setups, and mounted it to the studs in the basement...

BIG mistake. Every strike reverberated through the entire house. It was deafening.

Took it down from the studs, and mounted it to the cinderblock wall.

Perfect! No more booming.

Sure you can hear the rhythm through the floor, but it's not loud anymore. I can bag it in the mornings when I workout without waking the house.

Needless to say, I'm addicted.

Not so addicted that bagging has replaced golf in my list of priorities, but it's up there. Golf is still my #1 drug of choice.
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Nice first post. I hear ya with the Rocky ref. Me too.

How did you mount it to the cinderblock wall? I want to do that with my next install, and just looking for ideas. Got any pics?

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Lee Chapman
      • Feb 2017

Originally posted by IronCannibal View Post
      Just fulfilling the requirements of registration.

I've been fascinated with speed bagging since I first saw one in Rocky as a kid. Until now, I've never owned one.

Finally purchased one of Everlasts adjustable setups, and mounted it to the studs in the basement...

BIG mistake. Every strike reverberated through the entire house. It was deafening.

Took it down from the studs, and mounted it to the cinderblock wall.

Perfect! No more booming.

Sure you can hear the rhythm through the floor, but it's not loud anymore. I can bag it in the mornings when I workout without waking the house.

Needless to say, I'm addicted.

Not so addicted that bagging has replaced golf in my list of priorities, but it's up there. Golf is still my #1 drug of choice.
      Welcome. It certainly gets cadictive. Of course of the course is rained out, you have an alternative hobby.

Cheers
      Lee
      If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
      So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

Comment

• Lee Chapman
        • Feb 2017

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post

How did you mount it to the cinderblock wall? I want to do that with my next install, and just looking for ideas. Got any pics?

-Rusty
        I have an everlasting adjustable, bolted straight into cinder block. I have a bag of sand on top, and it's holding up ok.

Cheers
        Lee
        If you can't do it slow, you can't do it fast.
        So Slow = Smooth and Smooth = Fast.

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

How about a photo?
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• REB
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Jan 2017

Welcome

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Welcome!
              I'm also an avid golfer and you will find speed bagging will really help improve your game. You will gain upper body strength, especially in the forearms & shoulders...and your timing will improve too! After hitting the bag for 6 months, my scores now average in the low 80's...ALMOST shot a 79, but that one putt killed me!!!

Bagging & golf go great together...again, welcome to the forum!

This is an infomercial for a golf teaching tool I helped develop back in 1999, that's when I started golfing at 38 years old, at 55 I'm better than ever!
              Infommercial created for TotalGolf. This was a very high-end production with a cost of about 60K total. That included 30, 60 & 120 sec. cuts; Voice Over talent;…

Cheers!
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

-Rusty
                I mounted a platform in my dad's basement on cinderblock walls...used these & it is SOLID!
                Shop DOLLE 250-lb 3/8-in x 2-1/2-in Concrete Anchors with Screws Included (4-Pack) in the Anchors department at Lowe's.com. The Prova railing sThe Prova railing system from DOLLE offers interior and exterior railing systems that are component based, easy to install, and beautifully

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                  I mounted a platform in my dad's basement on cinderblock walls...used these & it is SOLID!
                  https://tinyurl.com/hwmuuft
                  I've used similar in poured concrete. But for cinderblock I worry about overtightening (which I always do) and cracking the block. I did my first install into cinderblock using togglers (aka snaptoggles). Only needed 1/2" holes and it turned out very solid.
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• jaja6009
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Dec 2016

Welcome.

I'm a born again speed bagger. Did boxing triplet 20 years ago and loved it. Moved into an apartment and couldn't mount a bag for 2 decades, then bought my first home and now have a platform back up. And now I'm learning "Bible" style and loving it. Already moved up in platforms, have 6 bags, ball hook swivel and am truly addicted again. Look forward to watching you grow at our hobby.

Comment

• Speedbag
                      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
                      Welcome.

I'm a born again speed bagger. Did boxing triplet 20 years ago and loved it. Moved into an apartment and couldn't mount a bag for 2 decades, then bought my first home and now have a platform back up. And now I'm learning "Bible" style and loving it. Already moved up in platforms, have 6 bags, ball hook swivel and am truly addicted again. Look forward to watching you grow at our hobby.

That's the bagger in ya coming out!
                      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• IronCannibal
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Mar 2017

-Rusty
                        Hey Rusty! See the 1st attachment for my basement gym. I don't have the Everlast bag on it right now. I've got a Cleto Reyes medium bag that I'm loving! Pound the snot outta it, and it feels so nice on the hands. The Everlast bag has this yellow plastic on the bottom that would cut you if you mis-strike the bag. I didn't like that at all.

For mounting, I used 3/8" "Red Head" anchor bolts. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Red-Head-50...ncrete/3043788

Okay, I bought them in single packs (4 total). That was the only link I could find to describe them.

Anyhow, used a hammer drilled with a 3/8" bit, and went about an inch into the cinderblock, tap these in with a hammer, tighten the bolts down and cut off the excess with a sawzall. It's solid!

My problem now is the Everlast platform can't handle the beating. It shakes and bounces all over, even with a 50# sandbag on top (pic taken before the sandbag addition).

So, I'm going to get an iBox from Balazs and mount a 24 x 4 inch butcher block to it (see 2nd attachment) for the drum.

I'll upload pics when I get that done.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! Much appreciated!
                        Attached Files

Comment

• IronCannibal
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Mar 2017

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                          Welcome!
                          I'm also an avid golfer and you will find speed bagging will really help improve your game. You will gain upper body strength, especially in the forearms & shoulders...and your timing will improve too! After hitting the bag for 6 months, my scores now average in the low 80's...ALMOST shot a 79, but that one putt killed me!!!

Bagging & golf go great together...again, welcome to the forum!

This is an infomercial for a golf teaching tool I helped develop back in 1999, that's when I started golfing at 38 years old, at 55 I'm better than ever!
                          Infommercial created for TotalGolf. This was a very high-end production with a cost of about 60K total. That included 30, 60 & 120 sec. cuts; Voice Over talent;…

Cheers!
                          Nice! Just got to the course today. I'm getting close to bogey golf, but still miss it by a couple strokes. It's early in the season, I improved last season by 10 strokes average from beginning to end. If I can do that again this year, I'll be under a 10 handicap easily.

Was smoking my 3 wood today, couldn't hit driver straight to save my life. LOL

Comment

• Zaza
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2011

Jealous! We just got 2 feet of snow!!!!!

Comment

• jaja6009
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

That's the bagger in ya coming out!
                              Yeah it came out of me to the detriment of my girlfriend. She can't understand why I could possibly need more than one bag. lol

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...