Is this normal wear and tear on a deville swivel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • speedball708
    • Apr 2015

Is this normal wear and tear on a deville swivel?

Seems like the ball will eventually pop out. I hope not, it hits awesome! Let me know what you think. Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by speedball708; 04-13-2016, 05:39 PM.
  • drag-on389
    • May 2014

Originally posted by speedball708 View Post
    Seems like the ball will eventually pop out. I hope not, it hits awesome! Let me know what you think. Thanks
    How long have you had the swivel? I had one that looked like that within days of bagging on it. We even broke the shank on the s hook. Will try to post pictures, have them on my phone don't know to do it. It was a clean break.

Comment

• speedball708
      • Apr 2015

Had it probably close to a year. Heard it would eventually get to a point were it will stop flattening out, but it seems to keep getting wider.

Comment

• drag-on389
        • May 2014

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460605177050.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	91270 Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460605206841.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	91271Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460605224988.jpg
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	91272

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Comment

• drag-on389
          • May 2014

Originally posted by drag-on389 View Post
          [ATTACH]5235[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]5236[/ATTACH][ATTACH]5237[/ATTACH]

The shank broke while trapping the speed bag. One of the forum members has a swivel like this maybe he can weigh in with his experiences with his swivel. The eyeless swivel.
          Last edited by drag-on389; 04-13-2016, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• speedball708
            • Apr 2015

The shank broke while trapping the speed bag. One of the forum members has a swivel like this maybe he can weigh in with his experiences with his swivel. The eyeless swivel.
            Looks alot older than a couple days.

Comment

• drag-on389
              • May 2014

Originally posted by speedball708 View Post
              Looks alot older than a couple days.
              Like I said it looked like yours within days . The swivel itself took about 3 weeks to a month of pretty heavy bagging for the shank to break. My son and I and his friends hit the speed bag on a daily basis. If you are referring to that it looks black around where the shank hits the base that happens when you put vaseline on the brass ball.I contacted the maker of the swivel expressing my concern about the base indenting so drastically in such a short time. I suggested that there were different grades of hdpe available to use. They offered to sell me another one at a reduced price . At that time I bought an s hook swivel.This one is made with the higher density hdpe the eyeless swivel base was made with an inferior hdpe.. I do not know what grade of hdpe yours is made of, that's why I mentioned that another member of the forum has an eyeless swivel. I do believe his was a prototype. I don't mention his handle in case he doesn't want to comment on it. I kept the eyeless swivel and when I read your post I commented on it and posted the pictures.
              Last edited by drag-on389; 04-14-2016, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• rmcgann
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Dec 2014

I don't think the ball will be able to fall out of the housing. It is step drilled, so it can go to the middle portion of the ball and still work great. Probably in areas around the ball it is as far as it is going to go. It will keep looking larger as the other areas wear to the same degree. Generally the sides. That it why it is suggested to rotate the swivel so there is more even wear. You can tell in your picture the front portion has a much farther degree of wear than the side. But, don't worry it'll keep working. All ballhook swivel housings get worn down, metal ones as well. As far as the picture of the solid "S" hook shank that is broken. I think thats why it is better to have an eye shank connected to an "S" hook. This allows some of the force of the shank hitting the housing to articulate so the speed bag can strike the surface. Also, probably why the housing would show more wear, it is essentially stoping all that energy before the bag strikes the drum. Now of course it will swing when it is on the loop (unless taped or tied) but it doesn't swing when the "S" part of the hook it sideways (rotated). I know it is attempting to shorten the swinging arc, but I don't think it works as well.

Comment

• speedball708
                  • Apr 2015

Like I said it looked like yours within days . The swivel itself took about 3 weeks to a month of pretty heavy bagging for the shank to break. My son and I and his friends hit the speed bag on a daily basis. If you are referring to that it looks black around where the shank hits the base that happens when you put vaseline on the brass ball.I contacted the maker of the swivel expressing my concern about the base indenting so drastically in such a short time. I suggested that there were different grades of hdpe available to use. They offered to sell me another one at a reduced price . At that time I bought an s hook swivel.This one is made with the higher density hdpe the eyeless swivel base was made with an inferior hdpe.. I do not know what grade of hdpe yours is made of, that's why I mentioned that another member of the forum has an eyeless swivel. I do believe his was a prototype. I don't mention his handle in case he doesn't want to comment on it. I kept the eyeless swivel and when I read your post I commented on it and posted the pictures.
                  Thanks for your input, maybe it's the white swivels that are made from a cheaper material. That is crazy how that swivel got so fatigued after a couple weeks .

Comment

• drag-on389
                    • May 2014

You made some spot on observations.The eyeless swivel was a pleasure to bag on. It was fast...The only things wrong with it was the base and the shank weren't up to the task. I did'nt have a chance to see how the base would stand up to a year of bagging on it. Like you said the shank hits harder probably because it hits the base before the ball hits the board and it does'nt have the flop that an eyebolt with an s hook has. Now if any member has a brass ball with just an eyebolt that you can hang a speed bag on, I would be willing to buy it. I want to see how this other base will stand up to the shorter arc.

Comment

• drag-on389
                      • May 2014

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460663630373.jpg
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	91273Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460663643994.jpg
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	91274Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460663655344.jpg
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	91275

Comment

• drag-on389
                        • May 2014

I do believe at one time there was a posting of a ball falling out of a base on this forum. I think it was another swivel not this one. If any forum member remembers this posting please comment on it. It might have been a metal swivel. then again I might be mistaken. I think the shank on the eyeless swivel is not a true s shankClick image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1460663900705.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	91276

Last edited by drag-on389; 04-14-2016, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• rmcgann
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Dec 2014

I think the plastic Everlast Base may eventually fail. It is more of a wide cup, so when the hole is opened up it may eventually fail. But, that would be after a great deal of bagging, and that would probably only happen if the bag is XS. If it is even a medium sized bag I doubt it would happen. Also, I don't think a bag loop even with an opening would allow the bag loop to ride very well in an eye hole shank. You could always try a zip tie or string and just use any current eye hole without the "S" hook. It would probably look kind of strange, but I think thats the only way. If a person increased the sized of the eye hole too much, when the eye hole is sideways it would probably start to hit the base of the swivel.

Comment

• MDJAK
                            • Mar 2016

I have a Deville swivel I just began using and have checked it for wear each time I use it and have seen none. I only use it about 10 to 15 minutes a night and started using it two weeks ago so perhaps a bit soon for wear.

But because of this thread I have been sure to not only hit from the front, but I walk around to the side and hit that way also. That will hopefully make it last longer, spread the "wear" around, and in that way I don't have to unscrew it and turn it around.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...