• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JoMan
    • Nov 2016

California SoeedBag Gathering?!?

Hello all my fellow speedbaggers!

I was noticing that these speedbag gatherings tend to always be in New Jersey.

I have seen a video on YouTube where AK was in Reno, NV. Would there be enough interest in a gathering in Sacramento, CA?

I know several gym owners around here and some of the gyms have nearly a dozen speed bags.

What does this forum community think about this idea?!? Speedbag Godfather AK would have to be there too, your thoughts "Speedbag"?!??
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Alan is actually in Texas, he was in Reno for an event. I don't know how many of us in CA as still on here, other than Vent and my self. We used to have quite a few, but they all seemed to have gone on an extended walkabout.......

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I think it's a great idea - the majority of people on the west coast can't take the time and expense to fly to the East coast, so a West coast gathering would be awesome. I think at least 50% of our attendees were usually driving distance.

If you know of a place with a dozen speed bags - that's perfect!

Our biggest challenge, and one of the reasons we return to Keyport, NJ every year is because of the willingness and hospitality of Donnie Blanks, proprietor of Real Gymm. It's not easy to find a place with that many speed bags...

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by JoMan View Post
        Hello all my fellow speedbaggers!

I was noticing that these speedbag gatherings tend to always be in New Jersey.

I have seen a video on YouTube where AK was in Reno, NV. Would there be enough interest in a gathering in Sacramento, CA?

I know several gym owners around here and some of the gyms have nearly a dozen speed bags.

What does this forum community think about this idea?!? Speedbag Godfather AK would have to be there too, your thoughts "Speedbag"?!??

Hello, JoMan. See my thoughts below....

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        I think it's a great idea - the majority of people on the west coast can't take the time and expense to fly to the East coast, so a West coast gathering would be awesome. I think at least 50% of our attendees were usually driving distance.

If you know of a place with a dozen speed bags - that's perfect!

Our biggest challenge, and one of the reasons we return to Keyport, NJ every year is because of the willingness and hospitality of Donnie Blanks, proprietor of Real Gymm. It's not easy to find a place with that many speed bags...
        I complete agree with Tim. Another key person is having an "event organizer", and it would be best if they are local and can contact local "sponsors", such as related businesses or media. For the record, there is no "national speed bag gathering organizer" or organizing committee. If you seriously want a speed bag "gathering" event in YOUR area then be prepared to take on the main responsibility of organizing it. The first few years we had several people that handled all of the responsibility (Tim being one...). As years progressed "helpers" came and went. The last few years in New Jersey has been "fairly unorganized" as there has been little planning or set program, mostly because no one has taken that lead responsibility. I still believe the key is having a serious local person or "committee" to plan and organize it. In New Jersey, we have had very few members come from the West Coast, for many reasons, ....and you can probably assume that you will have similar support from the East Coast. In the last few years at least 98% of the attendee's could Drive to the event. Unless you find sponsors to help foot traveling expenses for people, well....you now.

The Reno event was fully sponsored, with most baggers expenses, (flight, room and board) covered. The event did not just happen. IT was completely planned out, in advance, by a few local promoters, ...AND the mayor. Yeah. She's a bagger.

There may be similar possibilities in YOUR area. You don't personally have to know the key folks to help. But it helps to know someone that does. I imagine Cali could pull off a major event, if the organization was put in. If not, then just try for a "local" event in your area.....and see how it goes over.

It CAN be done.
        Last edited by Speedbag; 03-13-2018, 07:58 AM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Davidlwilkie
          • Apr 2017

Cali

I would love to see a gathering in California.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Davidlwilkie View Post
            I would love to see a gathering in California.
            Ok. Organize it. Start small and local and see who shows up. Lots of great baggers in west coast area
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Davidlwilkie
              • Apr 2017

I only know one other bagger in my area. I have no idea even where the closest gym is with a speed bag. I would be the guy travelling into town for the gathering. If there are some Northern California baggers out there, Hit me up. If we get enough hits I will personally take the time to do some investigating in our area. Shasta, Tehama, Glenn and Butte county are all near.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...