• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shacke
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2012

"knocking" noise on Deville swivel.

I am using the Deville Swivel. Excuse the dark, unsightly basement video but no one bothers me there

While the iphone video dulls the noise a bit, you can hear the knocking of the ball against the housing and into the board. The videos I had seen of excellent technique don't have this knocking.

Firstly - can you hear the knocking on this video? It isn't the same pop that I hear from hitting the bag too early.

Maybe I am doing something else wrong. I see in retrospect that the mrs. did not film all of me (she was holding a flashlight and recording at the same time) but perhaps the images are helpful anyway in what may be going on.

I first jiggle the swivel in its housing so you can hear what I hear when punching. Then I just go through some punches. Is it normal noise even though it isn't as quiet as other clips I have seen? I am coming from a u link title swivel and have no experience with ball hooks.

Many thanks.

Evan

PS - A question for future posts. How do I attached a link that then shows up as a youtube video screen from which you can just push play? I can only get the link into the thread. Thanks.
    Last edited by shacke; 03-13-2012, 07:15 PM. Reason: video
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by shacke View Post
    A question for future posts. How do I attached a link that then shows up as a youtube video screen from which you can just push play? I can only get the link into the thread. Thanks.
    See this sticky:

http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1330
    Last edited by paranday; 03-13-2012, 07:51 PM.

Comment

• shacke
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2012

Done - thank you for that tip.

Comment

• ebozyn
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2010

That is odd.

At 0:16 until the end of the video i can still hear the knocking, even though you are no longer hitting the bag, and the bag is no longer rebounding off the board. That is strange.

If the swivel is tightened down good, the eyelet is secure in the ball, and if the ball, and or bolt running through the ball isn't rubbing on the board...

I would think that there is too much play between the ball and housing. In this section of the video 0:16 to 0:20 it seems like every time the bag goes away from you, it's pulling the ball away from you in that extra space in the swivel housing, and when the bag is swinging towards you it's pulling the ball back the other way. causing that "KNOCK" i wouldn't have noticed this if you hadn't kept filming when the bag was swinging free at the end. But that would just be an educated guess based on what i can tell from the video and audio.

For using an iPhone, and a Flashlight, that's a Pretty Damn good video.
        I like it!

Bag On!

I am using the Deville Swivel. Excuse the dark, unsightly basement video but no one bothers me there

While the iphone video dulls the noise a bit, you can hear the knocking of the ball against the housing and into the board. The videos I had seen of excellent technique don't have this knocking.

Firstly - can you hear the knocking on this video? It isn't the same pop that I hear from hitting the bag too early.

Maybe I am doing something else wrong. I see in retrospect that the mrs. did not film all of me (she was holding a flashlight and recording at the same time) but perhaps the images are helpful anyway in what may be going on.

I first jiggle the swivel in its housing so you can hear what I hear when punching. Then I just go through some punches. Is it normal noise even though it isn't as quiet as other clips I have seen? I am coming from a u link title swivel and have no experience with ball hooks.

Many thanks.

Evan

PS - A question for future posts. How do I attached a link that then shows up as a youtube video screen from which you can just push play? I can only get the link into the thread. Thanks.
        Last edited by ebozyn; 03-13-2012, 08:00 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Try putting a piece of felt between the swivel and the board and see if the noise changes. The ball will hit the soft felt and not the wood.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• shacke
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Feb 2012

Thanks.

I already have the colored fabric gasket in there that Dee sent with the swivel. that noise is with it installed.

The knocking is indeed the ball rattling up in the housing. At the 0:02 mark before hitting, I give the bag a little upward movement to demonstrate the noise.

If the plastic housing were thinner, the ball wouldn't move vertically so much. It's definitely tightened to the max. I wonder why that is the case with my particular swivel.

Do others not have the wiggle room between the ball and housing that I have? Could mine be a little too thick?

Many thanks again.

Evan

Comment

• ebozyn
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2010

Every ball hook swivel i've used, or have heard on a Video has had some vertical movement. That's the nature of the beast. I don't think it matters if the distance from the ball to the board in 1/8 of an inch, or 3 inches. The ball can only move upward as far as the eyelet bolt allows, or until the ball touches the board, and if the ball touches the board before the eyelet touches the swivel housing, the ball is probably a pretty short distance from the board. ( The Deville swivel seems to have the eyelet screwed deeply into the ball. It looks to be almost to the point of the eyelet touching the ball.) Great for a short swing arc of the bag, and it also doesn't allow much vertical movement of the ball in the swivel's housing

For the most part, gravity keeps this vertical movement from occurring when you're not striking the bag, and or the bag isn't rebounding off the board. If this is true, vertical movement of the ball in the housing doesn't account for the Knocking at the end section of the Video ( 0:16 to 0:20 ). One of few things i can think of is Horizontal movement, that is, the ball is too loose in the housing around it's (the ball's) horizontal circumference.

Again, some of this is just an educated guess from what i've seen, and heard from the your video. The rest i guess would be laws of gravity.

hehe Those darn laws of physics and gravity.

Thanks.

I already have the colored fabric gasket in there that Dee sent with the swivel. that noise is with it installed.

The knocking is indeed the ball rattling up in the housing. At the 0:02 mark before hitting, I give the bag a little upward movement to demonstrate the noise.

If the plastic housing were thinner, the ball wouldn't move vertically so much. It's definitely tightened to the max. I wonder why that is the case with my particular swivel.

Do others not have the wiggle room between the ball and housing that I have? Could mine be a little too thick?

Many thanks again.

Evan
              Last edited by ebozyn; 03-14-2012, 01:50 PM.

Comment

• shacke
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Feb 2012

Thanks, ebozyn.

I think you are correct in that I am incorrect - the noise is probably from horizontal movement - not vertical.

Your remote powers of observation seem to be better than mine at the bag!

Comment

• ebozyn
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2010

LoL Na you're not necessarily incorrect. I could easily be mistaken about this "Knocking" problem. Unless a person were to hit on this swivel they couldn't really say for sure, and you have the best view of the problem in that way. It could be something other than i've stated, something really simple to correct.

Thanks, ebozyn.

I think you are correct in that I am incorrect - the noise is probably from horizontal movement - not vertical.

Comment

• shacke
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Feb 2012

Thanks. I will hit the bag for my normal training tomorrow and pay a bit more attention.

I am curious if this noise is normal for anyone else who uses this swivel?

I am not 'knocking' the swivel - not at all. I very much like the action on it but I was concerned that the extra play in the housing is taking away from the movement of the bag. It is hard for me to get it to go as fast as I had it with the old swivel so I wanted to see if there was something I could do about it - if there was an issue with my particular one.

Evan

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks, ebozyn.

that is possible also. If the ball has room to "roam" within the housing, it will make some noise, but less than an all metal ball and housing.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

...Maybe I am doing something else wrong. I see in retrospect that the mrs. did not film all of me (she was holding a flashlight and recording at the same time) but perhaps the images are helpful anyway in what may be going on.

Hey Shacke. I have downloaded your video from YouTube to watch it more closely. Boy, that really is noisy. Not a happy sound. I'll bet your wife wants this cleared up as badly as you do!

Alan's and ebo's valuable input should help explain the noise factor. I agree with what they have said, and have a few thoughts to add, as well.

I hate to cast aspersions, but in my humble opinion, I think the knocking from the swivel is actually being amplified through the platform and beyond to the ceiling. (I notice that the sound is hollow-like, if you know what I mean.)

Do you have any weight or material on top of the platform? (It's hard to tell in the video.) I would recommend adding my favorite weight – a box of Beadex Joint Compound (Home Depot for about $7.50) – to help minimize vibration and excess noise. The reason I'm always pushing for the joint compound, is that because of its gelatinous form, it will absorb and disperse noise and vibration better than any other material. I can't explain the scientific reason, I just know that it works better than anything Trainer Raul has tried over the years.

I have worked out on a few adjustable platforms and they are a noise generator in general. I know that a lot of baggers want to go that route, thinking how "convenient" it will be to adjust the platform. But, unless it was built before 1950(?), most inexpensive platforms are well, um...ahem...crappy! Sorry for the bluntness. I think the only adjustable platform that I would want to workout on is Zaza's vintage one. That thing is SOLID. Although, I am curious about hearing feedback on the platform that is endorsed by Manny Pacquiao (or is it Freddie Roach who endorses it?). It appears to be solid, but I am anxious to hear some feedback on it from other speed baggers.

Another suggestion (but this one is more costly) would be to beef up the drum with another circle of dense hardwood. This would improve your whole speed bag experience, in my opinion.

Here is a short clip that I filmed this morning. I'm using the rigidly-mounted concrete platform and I'm punching on the small Fighting Sports bag and the large Cleto bag (whew, I forgot how big and heavy that bag is).

There is some knocking, but it is muted on this drum because of its heft and denseness and it is solidly mounted on two 4x4 posts that are attached to an overhead beam. There are 3 metal braces coming down from above to the top of the platform.

(As for the specifics of the swivel, it is designed with just enough room for the 1" ball to move freely inside the chamber, and the ball sits just short of 3/16" down from the opening at the top.)
                        Last edited by MsDeville; 03-15-2012, 08:26 AM. Reason: grammar
                        sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                        I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• shacke
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Feb 2012

Dee

That video is super helpful because I see that it jiggles just as much as mine in the housing. I will hit home depot tomorrow to buy the beadex. Right now there is nothing on top of the platform and quieter is betterer! I can always add the extra wood too later.

By the way - if gelatinous is better than I bet big 5 liter jugs of ultrasound gel would be great. We use them where I work.

I went with the adjustable in the hopes that my children would use it too - and my shorter wife. This way it would be easy to switch heights.

Turns out it's only me ...but .... I tried! Hopefully they will come around.

I will let you know how it turns out. I thank you for the personal feedback

Evan
                          Last edited by shacke; 03-14-2012, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Dee

That video is super helpful because I see that it jiggles just as much as mine in the housing. I will hit home depot tomorrow to buy the beadex. Right now there is nothing on top of the platform and quieter is betterer! I can always add the extra wood too later.

By the way - if gelatinous is better than I bet big 5 liter jugs of ultrasound gel would be great. We use them where I work.
                            I went with the adjustable in the hopes that my children would use it too - and my shorter wife. This way it would be easy to switch heights.

Turns out it's only me ...but .... I tried! Hopefully they will come around.

I will let you know how it turns out. I thank you for the personal feedback

Evan
                            Your statement of Ultrasound Gel Brings back lots of memories. I've had so much PT in my life, including Iontophoresis, Phonophoresis and Ultrasound etc. that I've probably absorbed at least 10 liters of that stuff through shoulders,elbows, knees, ankles and back. I never thought that the ultrasound gel could be an above board buffer for speed bag sound and vibration, but it does make sense.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• shacke
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                              ...hey evan just to let u know a U-bolt is faster than the ball&hook but in time you will get the bag to move as fast...in time...ralph
                              Thanks, that is helpful to know.

Alan, this is the gel we use (we get it by the 12lb 5L bag). With that history of yours, you might have a little blue-ish complexion by now http://www.amazon.com/Aquasonic-Ultr...1819876&sr=8-3

Im going to borrow a few for the weekend and see how it works.
                              Last edited by shacke; 03-15-2012, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...