• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Coca-Cola commercial with Speed Bag

So the cats out of the bag and here is the story....

Back in Late May 2017 I was contacted by a casting company about a planned commercial by the Coca-Cola company that needed "An older boxer who was good on the speed bag". Somehow they found their way to me, and I was invited to interview for the part - and a few weeks later I went to Tampa Florida to film at the Hurricane Boxing Club, which is a boxing facility on a ranch that has both an indoor and outdoor ring. Seriously, goats, horses, roosters, chickens and cats all over the place.

They had picked a young boxer from that club (16 year old) and the idea was I was his "coach" and he would watch me hit the speed bag (3 takes of a couple of minutes each on the speed bag), and he watch drinking the Poweraide Zero. Then we did a few rounds in the ring with me holding the mitts for him (kid has serious power), and then a few takes of us hanging out on ropes talking about how it went, (he drinking Poweraide Zero).

None of us (cast or crew) had any idea when or if the footage would be edited or aired. That's up to the owner of the footage (Coke). So I've recently heard the first airing was on Sunday Night Football, 9-17-17, and a few other shows on various networks. (I haven't seen it personally on TV yet, but it might be kick )

Anyway, here are 3 different edits of the spot. No bag sounds, just a voice over... (so far).

:90
    We Are The Coca-Cola Company (:90) | #CocaColaRenew
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

:30 sec
    We Are Coca-Cola and So Much More | #CocaColaRenew
    We may be one of the world’s most familiar companies, but we make more than our name suggests. We’re an organic tea company. A premium juice company. A cocon...

60 sec
    We Are The Coca-Cola Company (:60) | #CocaColaRenew
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Speedbag; 09-21-2017, 12:50 AM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

They couldn't find anyone a little better looking? :-P
    Last edited by Zaza; 09-21-2017, 07:34 AM.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
      They couldn't find anyone a little better looking? :-P
      HA. My thoughts exactly. I asked the casting company if I was really the demographic they were looking for.

said (true story...) "Is there a shortage of coke products being sold in Nursing Homes or something?" He said "you're exactly the demographic. they want and "older guy" for a coaching theme."

Story behind the story: The production company that was hired for the filming had googled "old guy and speed bag" and found a video of "old dude with crazy speed bag skills" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIINhpq7PkQ) and the wanted to "find this guy".

and that came from the guy on the left, who did the search.
      Attached Files
      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

Alan Kahn, an American original.
        Last edited by paranday; 09-21-2017, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Oct 2016

Nice! The bag sounds are in there, just mixed in at a low volume. Turn it up and you'll hear.
          @ArcSwivel
          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

All I can say is oh wow, is that sweet!

Comment

• m.breen
              • Jan 2017

That's really cool.

Comment

• jaja6009
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2016

Awesome Alan. I will keep an eye out for it on TV. They need to give you more time on, so everyone can really see how you hit, might cause a lot of interest in speed bagging if a wider audience gets to see Bible baggin.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by jaja6009 View Post
                  Awesome Alan. I will keep an eye out for it on TV. They need to give you more time on, so everyone can really see how you hit, might cause a lot of interest in speed bagging if a wider audience gets to see Bible baggin.
                  I agree. They have lots of footage to work with. Could create lots of different themes.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bkin10secs
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Dec 2014

Let me set the scene, I'm home recuperating from my 17th, yes I said my 17th cath lab procedure on my legs (I have scar tissue...long story miss spent youth). Anyways, just laying there dealing with the pain and discomfort and a little bummed out over the whole situation. All of a sudden this Coca-Cola commercial comes on TV, and bam!!!!, there is Mr. Alan Kahn banging away!!!! I at that moment felt no pain at all. I proceeded to jump from my couch and called for my wife and screamed....its the Speed Bag Forum guy....lol. I'm just a guy who got into this speed bag thing watching your videos and the videos of so many others. I'm nothing special but I have gotten better since my the initial video posting I did many moons ago. I read my Speed Bag Bible and hit my bag. I haven't posted anything in a long time but I was so proud to see you Mr. Kahn in that commercial that it was all the medicine I needed. But I must tell you, my wife isn't too happy with you. After watching your segment (about 50 times) I went right out to my Pro-Mex xs gold bag on my Swiveltek LTX swivel and started banging away. Thank you Mr. Kahn

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bkin10secs View Post
                      Let me set the scene, I'm home recuperating from my 17th, yes I said my 17th cath lab procedure on my legs (I have scar tissue...long story miss spent youth). Anyways, just laying there dealing with the pain and discomfort and a little bummed out over the whole situation. All of a sudden this Coca-Cola commercial comes on TV, and bam!!!!, there is Mr. Alan Kahn banging away!!!! I at that moment felt no pain at all. I proceeded to jump from my couch and called for my wife and screamed....its the Speed Bag Forum guy....lol. I'm just a guy who got into this speed bag thing watching your videos and the videos of so many others. I'm nothing special but I have gotten better since my the initial video posting I did many moons ago. I read my Speed Bag Bible and hit my bag. I haven't posted anything in a long time but I was so proud to see you Mr. Kahn in that commercial that it was all the medicine I needed. But I must tell you, my wife isn't too happy with you. After watching your segment (about 50 times) I went right out to my Pro-Mex xs gold bag on my Swiveltek LTX swivel and started banging away. Thank you Mr. Kahn
                      Thanks. Always glad to help a bagger beat whatever stands in their way. Chalk it up to the amazing healing power of the speed bag. Keep Punching!
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• "The Godless"
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jul 2016

So damn cool. You truly rock!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Zaza
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Apr 2011

...so I'm working a show at the Palace Theatre in Albany, NY (Kip Moore) when I get a text from my uncle:
                          "Hey, did I just see your main man from your speedbag
                          documentary on a Coca-Cola commercial?"

He sure did!

Way to go Alan, truly THE Speedbag King!
                          Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                          http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dutchman
                            Speed Bag Historian
                            • Jun 2006

There are several commercials playing now that using that footage, nearly all of them show Alan . I smile every time I see them

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                              There are several commercials playing now that using that footage, nearly all of them show Alan .

I smile every time I see them
                              Have to admit...me too.

Personally, I haven't seen one in a few days now on the channels I watch, but I've heard they have played on a bunch of them.

Hoping they can re-edit to feature 1 or 2 seconds more speed bag in later or different versions. Did x3 takes of just speed bag with young guy watching from different angles. Hoping for Baseball play offs, and of course....Winter Olympics (fingers crossed).

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...