• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoShow
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2012

Double End Bag Set Up

Hi, new here. Looks like a solid community, so plan on sticking around.

I have a speed bag, heavy bag and double end bag... and a garage filled with to much stuff to set them up. Goal for 2012 is to remedy that and I've cleared out an area to set up the DEB (speedbag will be next).

So my question is; I've watched and read online the basics of setting up the DEB. Most mention covering up the "S" hooks with some type of padding, to reduce pain if you accidently hit them. If I don't plan on changing the set-up for months and I only plan on detaching the lower at the anchor (so not at the bag); does anyone see any issues with using zip\cable ties to attach the bag to the bungee (bottom) and strap (top), instead of using the "S" hooks?

So as not to just come here asking, with no offering:

I ordered Sammy Franco's Double End Bag DVD (http://www.sammyfranco.com/p/DOUBLE_DVD.html) to get some ideas to get me started.

Between martial arts and boxing, I have decades of experience with punching, so maybe what is common sense to me, is enlightenment to others. But having also taught, I think I have a fairly clear idea of other's (with less experience) "thinking". Having watched it twice, I personally don't feel like I "got my money's worth". Almost all of the information can be found on the internet with some minor searching. Sure it offers you everything in one place, but I don't really see how one would need that.

The Set Up section offered nothing new to what I'd already seen. And considering that once you have your DEB set up, you really don't need to go back to that section ever again.

The Beginner section also offered nothing new. Most of it was "common sense" to anyone with any punching training (i.e. one would only have to hit the DEB with a hook once, to figure out it's not moving the same as a jab will make it move).

The Intermediate and Advance sections can also be found on the internet. I think most would have to time to search them out, while they were still in the Beginner stage. And most would develop\figure out the combinations by the time they are ready to move from the Beginner stage to the Intermediate stage, once again pretty much common sense. Though I have to admit, anyone with traditional boxing training, might not have ever seen something like the disorientation drills, because it's more of a self-defense\street training thing. Though it might be good training for shaking off getting hit in a ring.

If I had seen the DVD prior to buying it, I wouldn't have bought it. He offers sales fairly often on his website, so it might be worth a sale price. I'll keep it in my resource library and if my wife or kid decide they want to hit the DEB a little for some exercise, they can learn from it, since neither seem to care to get instructions from me. If someone with very little experience decided to get a DEB much of the information would be new to them. But that doesn't change that all of it could be found on the internet.

EDIT:

I don't like the tone of my post. My only issue with the DVD is the price compared to what can be found for free on the internet. Franco comes across fine in the DVD. The material is good and well laid out. If price doesn't matter (and yes I know for an instructional DVD it's inexpensive compared to a lot of other stuff out there) and convenience is desired, it's worth adding to one's resources.
    Last edited by NoShow; 01-15-2012, 09:46 AM.
  • Salvatore Tortellini
    • Feb 2013

I think the zip ties would work fine as long as they were thick enough and the ends smooth enough so that they won't cut the leather loops of the double end bag. Most folks simply wrap a few turns of duck tape around the S hooks that come with the rubber cables though.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...