• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Messiah
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2012

Looking to buy most solid Speed bag platform out there

Hey guys
    I'm on mostly car forums and new to the boxing forum.
    Me and the kids are looking to get more additional training at home.
    I trained Muay Thai and Judo when i was younger and my 6 year old trains TKD ATM. We do a little boxing at home and are looking to get better. We do bag and pad work so far.
    My question is what is your honest opinion on the best built, most solid, proven adjustable speed bag platform out there at any price? Alot of you are going to say overkill waste of money etc. I know it's for home but I want the best or at least close to it.
    If being practical always in life I probably wouldn't drive a 800 hp death machine lol.
    Does anyone know which one
    Oscar Dela Hoya or Floyd Mayweather jr uses.
    I know which Manny uses but not totally convinced on that design.
    I've been looking at the Balazs and Title then realized its the same manifacturer.
    Please help me with all your knowledge and wisdom.
  • dogtoke
    • Jun 2008

Welcome to the Forum. Over the years from my experience I started with the 49.00 unit from Big 5 to 2 sheets of birch plywood laminated to a 2" beechwood tabletop ( this is all chronological) Then moved on to Primefighter 400 and the Manny Paquaio Firstrate boxing units. The latter two are the ones currently hanging in my garage and I wouldn't trade either of them for the world. I briefly looked on the Forum for the Primefighter info on the Forum with no luck. They have a 15% discount which brought mine to 515.00 including delivery. Members help me out.

On to the FirstRate Boxing unit. If cost is not an object this one would be my choice..$1100.00. It's a seriously heavy duty unit and they guarantee it for life. The vibration is virtually non-existent. This is one that I will be able to pass on to my Grandkids if, to quote Alan, I can get those electronic gadgets out of their hands. This product is amazing

Many members on this site recommend Balaz which has to be good as it is used at the annual Speedbag Conventions. My 2 cents..Hope it helps

Comment

• Messiah
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Oct 2012

Thanks for the awesome advice guys. I spoke to Brian from Balazs for his advice on what platform would be best for me and my kids. I've ordered the Balazs 24" adjustable SBP24 platform with a pro level 3 swivel and a Title 4200 9x6 gyro speedbag. Sounds like a really good guy with a lot of knowledge. Brian sounds just like Chael Sonnen I told him lol(UFC fighter). I really wanted the universal stand to go along with my home gym but my ceiling is 1 inch too low! FML...
      My other question is what other bags do you guys recommend for beginners me and my kids ages 6, 4 , and 3. I've been hearing mixed results on the Everlast Kangaroo bags, Title, and a few others. I know its all preference for the most part but i have no experience and would like to hear your preferences and start there.

Thanks in advance guys!

Comment

• Messiah
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Oct 2012

Thanks for the great detailed advice. I will look into the other style bags and double end one.

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
          • Apr 2011

Comparing platforms

Hi, I wanted to ask if some feedback can be givin on 3 perticular model platforms.

The balaz 12 inch adjustable with 30" platform: http://www.balazsboxing.com/cgi-bin/...atforms|ms0197,

The primefighter 400: http://www.primefighter.com/Products.html,

The first rate boxing platform:http://www.firstrateboxing.com/products.html.

Which would have the least vibration?

Also, can the firstrate boxing platform be modified like the Balazs, to allow the swivel to be bolted on?
          Last edited by Bag-A-Holic; 12-08-2012, 10:29 AM. Reason: added info
          -Anthony

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
            • Apr 2011

Ok so I ended up going with the 30Inch Balaz adjustable which arrived yesterday.
            My next question is: to refrain from drilling holes into the metal frame to be able to use bolts to mount and change the swivels often, without stripping the wood, can these bolts, called sex bolts work? Can they be inserted into the wooden drum only, and will they hold? Has anyone tried this and or has any feedback related to this. I really would prefer not to drill and compromise the frame and cancell out my warranty. Ok thanks!!!!
            Attached Files
            -Anthony

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Antny72 View Post
              Ok so I ended up going with the 30Inch Balaz adjustable which arrived yesterday.
              My next question is: to refrain from drilling holes into the metal frame to be able to use bolts to mount and change the swivels often, without stripping the wood, can these bolts, called sex bolts work? Can they be inserted into the wooden drum only, and will they hold? Has anyone tried this and or has any feedback related to this. I really would prefer not to drill and compromise the frame and cancel out my warranty. Ok thanks!!!!
              Hi Antny72

I have never heard of those types of bolts, but they sound like fun...

Actually, If you get the thickest, longest screws possible to fit through the swivel base, and tight them good I wouldn't worry about drilling the holes all the way through immediately to use bolts, especially if (1) you won't be changing swivels a lot, (2) It's in a low traffic area ie... you home, and only you or a few people will be using it and (3) You are not going to be putting larger bags on it and pounding the living crap out of it at full power, which is pretty tough on swivels. I think in a medium use home environment you might do OK with some thicker, longer screws for the swivel and see how that works.

Yes, I have always advocated "bolting the swivel" but that was from my own experience of hitting in very high use areas on equipment that was beat to death day after day and the tiny swivel screws had come loss from the softer wooden board, and could never be tightened. I fixed that with bolts, - and second, later in life I was changing swivels a lot to try new ones and different models, and the constant screwing and unscrewing of the wood screws always stripped the holes and pretty soon the tiny screws would not hold. But IF you are going to pretty much hang one swivel and forget it, and not have a bunch of "bangers" just ripping out hard on several bags, you might really be fine with the set up you have and a bit larger screws.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag-A-Holic
                • Apr 2011

Well, it is for home use, I don't hit it hard but I do change swivels often. I go back and forth from Jim Bradley to a ball hook, usually each time I use the bag. Its been a while using the speed bag, and just got this new set up, and will first wait till they strip out, like you mentioned, then try the sex bolts, before drilling the frame.

But that is if I keep the new set-up. There are several other issues with the new platform. One is that is it advertised to be 83 lbs and my setup is only 68 lbs. (30" drum, 31.5 lbs; 2 mounting brackets, 13.8 lbs total of both; and the A frame, 22.8 lbs. I weighed them on two different scales. The cheaper model claims to be 50 lbs and cost way less.
                -Anthony

Comment

• AtTheCross
                  • Dec 2012

that Balazs is sweet, but WOW on price. I have a X Mark Fitness that is of the same design but a lot less expensive
                  1 Corinthians 1:18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

XMarkfitness platform
                  Active Bags: - N.O.S. Ringside 4x7 - N.O.S. Ringside Tear Drop 5x8 - Balazs Lazer 6x9
                  DevilleSwivel No.13 - Horizontal
                  Powermill Evil Swivel - Vertical (to be installed)
                  Retired Bags:
                  Pro Mex 5x8 - Everlast 4214 7x10

Comment

• MJHawk
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jan 2013

Floyd's are not made by a manufacturer I know for sure. It's of the "homemade" variety. I made one similar (minus about 2 inches of thickness). I will be uploading pics soon. Like what "jumpcannon" has done for swivels I'd like to do for boards, but it's a bit less practical.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...