Calories burned during speed bad training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2006

Calories burned during speed bad training?

I use the speedbag as part of my overall fitness regimen. I have found a few "calorie counters" that say one burns 10 calories per minute doing the speed bag, but I am not sure this is accurate based on my "perceived exertion" during a speed bag session vice running or fast walking.

I realize that the degree of effort will vary from person to person due to skill levels, etc.

I am also not sure that the calorie counters are confusing the heavy bag with the speed bag.

I was wondering if anyone had any additional information on this topic?
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

This is my opinion, based on my perceptions only.

I think the speed bag and heavy bag would be only slightly less than a very slow jog based only on my fatigue level after working out. I can easily run at a 7 or 8 minute pace for 45 minutes or so. The speed bag (using a 10x12 bag) I can do for about the same amount of time with the same fatigue level.

I realize you're using completely different muscles, but for pure cardio, I think they're roughly the same.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Calories and speed bag

Originally posted by Mike
      I use the speedbag as part of my overall fitness regimen. I have found a few "calorie counters" that say one burns 10 calories per minute doing the speed bag, but I am not sure this is accurate based on my "perceived exertion" during a speed bag session vice running or fast walking.

I realize that the degree of effort will vary from person to person due to skill levels, etc.

I am also not sure that the calorie counters are confusing the heavy bag with the speed bag.

I was wondering if anyone had any additional information on this topic?
      Mike, you pose a fascinating and very serious question.

Other than the "fad, diet, slim-up, trim-down" mentality associated with most exercise "systems" or activities, I have been very much preoccupied with the actual physiological effects of all aspects of speed bag usage.

Over the years I have been in contact with several universities attempting to get them to develop an interest in all sorts of Biomechanical or physiological measurements concerning speed bag punching, various programs, punching speeds, bag size effects, Meausurements of oxygen consumption, 3D-motion analysis of speed bag punching.
      ++++++++++++++++++++++

Consider the act of speed bag punching at even it's simplest: The bag unites several unique physiological activities. Activities that have each been researched independently and been found to be helpful in many areas of rehabilitation. First, Repetitive motions. Second, targeting, third: rhythmic synchronization, forth: Auditory cuing, fifth: visual cuing and six: Timing.

ALL of this happens, either with or without conscious effort as we punch. But from a research and rehabilitative/restorative angle, I personally believe it has untapped potential in the rehab. world.

take just a short stroll through only a small fraction of the research in these areas:

Repetitive Bilateral Arm Training and Motor Cortex Activation...

Cardiovascular response to punching tempo

postural effects of volutary movement punching

neuroscience of rhythm perception and rhythmic synchronization *RAS = Rhythmic Auditory Stimulation is brain activity that occurs automatically. Lots of research in this area.

Rhythmic facilitation of gait training in hemiparetic stroke rehabilitation

Rhythmic Auditory Stimulation in Gait Training for Patients with Traumatic Brain Injury

two-stroke movements (arm extensions) in patients with Parkinson's disease

Bimanual coordination deficits with Parkinson's disease: the influence of movement speed and external cueing

Rhythmic Entrainment information

Rhythmic Entrainment Intervention (REI)

** Rhythmic Entrainment is the tendency for one object (or body) to "entrain" or synchronize with another.

order from Rhythmic Entrainment (*pdf document)

more on Rhythmic Entrainment

Rhythmic Entrainment Intervention:A Drum Rhythm Intervention * society for Autism

"..REI is based on the observation that numerous natural rhythms occur throughout the body (e.g., heart beat, brainwaves, respiration). When a person suffers from an illness, a physical disability, or psychological disorder, then his/her internal rhythms may be 'out of synch.' By using a form of sonic entrainment, such as REI's drum rhythms, a person's natural rhythms are encouraged to reappear."

(or perhaps a punch drum ??....)

The world of Music Therapy is leading the way with a huge emphasis in Rhythmic Entrainment

In Time with Music: Rhythmic Entrainment and it's Signficance...

The power of music therapy

The Entrainment Network

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Consider the sound of the triplet rhythm of the speed bag. The accented and unaccented beats, which come almost hynotic over time. the bag sound becomes the auditory (sonic) cue for your smooth, repetitive movement. The auditory "beat" will rhythmically entrain your motions to sync with the sound. Both your hands and feet will sync to the beat, and your eyes also aid in targeting your punch accuracy. Your body, torso balance and motions all sync up and eventually becomes "smooth".

that is, IF you don't have any types of movement disorder, such as Parkinsons, Cerebral Palsies, Huntingtons Chorea, Autism, stroke, cervical spine issues or any number of other movement disorders. Then it all falls apart. I personally believe the unique aspects of the speed bag can help put it all, OR at least some of it - back together. Even if only while they are punching. The sound above all can help the upper body, (or legs for a walk-in-place cadence) find a rhythmic flow again. Not to mention they are also punching and exercising while doing it.

Anyway, I spent a lot of my "off time" pursuing this type of research and trying to make contacts to create it. I have made some inroads (there are a few DR./ph.d speed bag fanatics out there...), but fear I will have to go back into the university setting myself to fully follow this dream. I can retire from my "day job" in Six years and may just do that.

(...and I'll try to figure out how many calories are burned during various types of workouts on different sized bags. )
      Last edited by Speedbag; 07-06-2006, 06:32 AM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...