X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ninja420
    • Jan 2007

my new setup!

I finaly got some time so I built my self a platform for my room. And let me tell you guys it is GREAT! The board is a 1 inch pine round and a 1 inch oak table top. The frame is just a box made from 1 1/2" square tube so simple it hurts. There is no sand on it right now and it dosent vibrate at all! even with that huge bag.
    Attached Files

Comment

• ninja420
      • Jan 2007

one more picture
      Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ninja420 View Post
        I finaly got some time so I built my self a platform for my room. And let me tell you guys it is GREAT! The board is a 1 inch pine round and a 1 inch oak table top. The frame is just a box made from 1 1/2" square tube so simple it hurts. There is no sand on it right now and it dosent vibrate at all! even with that huge bag.
        Now THAT'S a nice speed bag unit.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Pegasos
          • Feb 2007

Really looks nice ninja420...

good job,

where did you get the frame by the way?

Comment

• ninja420
            • Jan 2007

I built it.

Comment

• metaldad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2007

What tools did you need? I'm getting tired of my stand, just broke the hook that holds the heavy bag, and my platform is definitely too thin but I make do for now. I'm really considering building a platfrom and hanging my heavy bag from the ceiling
              Last edited by metaldad; 07-23-2007, 10:47 AM. Reason: to get all i wanted to say in one quote
              sigpic

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

What tools you need depend on the materials you're using.

If you're making one out of 2x4's or even 4x4's with a double thickness of 3/4" plywood, I think you could get by just fine with a miter saw, a jigsaw, and a cordless drill for screws.

If you want a metal frame, a cheap mig welder or arc welder, and a sawzall out to be sufficient. You'll still need the jigsaw to cut the drum out of the plywood though.

Comment

• juanantoniomartin
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jan 2007

My new platform

I scrounged some 3 inch angle iron and for a case of beer the fitters welded this up for me. The drum is 2 pieces of plywood glued together. With 10lbs of lead on the top it is super solid and fast. The other setup I made for my boy actually cost more to build!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by juanantoniomartin View Post
                    I scrounged some 3 inch angle iron and for a case of beer the fitters welded this up for me. The drum is 2 pieces of plywood glued together. With 10lbs of lead on the top it is super solid and fast. The other setup I made for my boy actually cost more to build!

Very nice setup. Man, that looks solid.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ninja420
                      • Jan 2007

BIG RED speedbag platform

Hey guys I thought you might like to see pictures of the new platform I was contracted lol to build for my freind Pat. its just a regular ibox type frame with a 2-1/2" x 27" drum made from three 10' redwood 4x3s.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ninja420 View Post
                        Hey guys I thought you might like to see pictures of the new platform I was contracted lol to build for my freind Pat. its just a regular ibox type frame with a 2-1/2" x 27" drum made from three 10' redwood 4x3s.

That is a beautiful board. I bet it will sound really nice.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Nov 2007

ninja420,

I bet that thin wood will crack after only a few hits.

Good lookin' platform.

Comment

• VJ87
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Dec 2007

Just found this thread, will post more updated pics of it with 8 coats of poly-urethane stain pics above show 1 coat. Setup cost around 24~ bux. Speed bag 29.99, and hinge 19.99.

Comment

• VJ87
                              Speed Bag Trainee
                              • Dec 2007

Updated pics:

Comment

• JohnnieBoy
                                Speed Bag Trainee
                                • Dec 2007

Another Example

Hi there, I'm new to the forum and thought I would add my project to the thread and express my appreciation for some of the ideas posted here by the other users. I've never used a bag before but thought it would be a welcome addition to our gym downstairs. Given that I'm of a frugal sort and a carpenter by trade, I figured that with the right inspiration and tools a decent, solid platform could be fashioned out of the various bits and bobs in my workshop.

The metal frame was made out of two 10' lengths of galvanized 'punched angle iron'. I cleaned them up and spray-painted them with galvanized primer and then gloss-black. The uprights are screwed to my wall studs, which are spaced 16" on-centre, with two 2 1/2" long #12 sized screws per upright. Knowing the spacing of your studs is important to know when you later on attach the supports to the platform.

I took the opportunity to make a circle-cutting jig for my handheld router (look it up on the internet or Woodsmith 'Router Workshop' magazine) and made two 24" diameter circles out of 3/4" MDF. I Gorilla glued and clamped them together and used some 1 1/4" drywall screws (6 per side, spaced equally apart) to ensure a solid fit. The next morning I beltsanded smooth the edge of the now 1 1/2" thick disc and proceed to rough cut some red laminate/Formica/Arborite I had left over from a previous job. Once I had contact-cemented the material to the disc and given it a couple hours to cure, I laminate trimmed it with a router and prepared to attach the supports.

You have to space the supports so that when it is all assembled, it will be easy to hook the top (ie. the diagonal portion), thread on your wingnuts, and then slip your bolts in on the bottom (ie. the horizonal portion) and secure with another set of wingnuts. For attaching the platform, I countersunk the bolt and washer from the underside so that the nut heads won't damage the speed bag in one of my future flurries. The back edge of the platform is approximately 1" from the wall. The swivel is attached in the centre with four 1 3/4" #8 screws.

After the platform is put into position, the bag is attached and I put a sand bag on top to cut down on any vibration.

Hope you like the pictures (I had to resize them to fit per the posting guidelines), as I'm very pleased with the outcome. I started on a Saturday morning, and with trying to bargain shop for the various pieces to no-avail, making my router jig, and otherwise doing the job right, I got the job done by Sunday evening. It could have been done in a day without painting the angle iron, doing the laminate, and just jig-sawing a circle.

Cost: angle iron ($20 cdn), nuts, washers, bolts ($5 cdn), spray paint ($8). If you have to buy a sheet of 3/4" MDF, it may cost around $25 for a 4'x8' sheet. The laminate, I'm not sure off-hand. The swivel was $16 at Wal-mart, and the bag around $35.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...