Speed Bags, Rope Skipping and weightloss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Over43
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2011

Speed Bags, Rope Skipping and weightloss...

I have a confession to make. I am not a dieter. The last time I was able to stick to a diet was ten years ago when I droppped 40 lbs. via the Atkins' Diet. But, after 4 months I couldn't look at a steak without gagging. (This has nothing to do with the efficacy of low carbing, but more with my need to eat a varied diet...)

Recently I have been trying to stick with the No S Diet, which is a simple, No Snacks, No Sweets, No Seconds, Except with Days that Start with S. It gives me boundries, but still is difficult for me to follow "to a tee".

February and March were tough because I shot up to 190+ lbs. At 5' 9". Since April I have hovered at 185. Having started speed bagging and rope skipping (as opposed to exercycling) I have noticed I look thinner and appear to be "muscling up". I stepped on the scale this morning, after a weekend of Father's Day eating and laying on the couch watching a small Irish man crush every other golfer at the US Open, and weighed an even 180 lbs. I am pleased.
    Last edited by Over43; 06-20-2011, 09:39 PM. Reason: poor spelling
  • Mrs Mitts
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Feb 2010

Well done on your weight loss achievements, cool that you shared that.

I definitely experience that it's a lot tougher to lose any sort of extra weight and I'm well into my forties! Rope skipping is a brilliant exercise and reading your post makes me determined to get mine out and start doing some routines again even for just a few minutes a day. I've got much too lazy lately.

Good luck, keep us updated.

Comment

• metaldad
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2007

I just got back into skipping rope and damn it's challenging! I start my day with 50 pushups and 50 crunches then every other day is pullups and dips. This week I tried something new since I work nights and have been putting in at least twelve hours. When I get home, I change into workout clothes head to the garage and start with 3 minuted on the rope after that I move on to something else . Since my time is limited,I broke it down lije this: Mon: 3 rounds on the heavy bag with 100 turns of the rope between rounds and 200 turns after all three rounds Tues same thing but with the double ned bag. Wed speed bag and rope. I also add pullups dips and leg raises on odd days. Pretty taxing I must say and one hell of a way to wind down after work. I almost forgot how veneicial skipping rope can be! Especially when you get creative with it. Bag On Over43 and keep us posted on your progress
      sigpic

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Over43 View Post
        I have a confession to make. I am not a dieter. The last time I was able to stick to a diet was ten years ago when I droppped 40 lbs. via the Atkins' Diet. But, after 4 months I couldn't look at a steak without gagging. (This has nothing to do with the efficacy of low carbing, but more with my need to eat a varied diet...)

Recently I have been trying to stick with the No S Diet, which is a simple, No Snacks, No Sweets, No Seconds, Except with Days that Start with S. It gives me boundries, but still is difficult for me to follow "to a tee".

February and March were tough because I shot up to 190+ lbs. At 5' 9". Since April I have hovered at 185. Having started speed bagging and rope skipping (as opposed to exercycling) I have noticed I look thinner and appear to be "muscling up". I stepped on the scale this morning, after a weekend of Father's Day eating and laying on the couch watching a small Irish man crush every other golfer at the US Open, and weighed an even 180 lbs. I am pleased.
        I'll be 50 in a few months...and I can tell you, it is tough, the metabolism REALLY slows as you age (or at least mine did).

Not proud to say, but last July (1 Year ago) at 5'6" I weighed in at 238lbs.! No excuses, but family stuff, etc. put me in a hole until one day, I woke up.

Within 6 months, I had dropped 71 lbs. and I haden't even lifted a finger to exercise...no exercise what-so-ever. It was a simple 3 step method:
        1. Go to a basal metabolic rate caculator. It will tell you how many calories your body needs to just survive if you just laid in bed all day. The average man is about 1800-2200 calories.

2. Eat fewer calories in smaller increments throughout the day. (100 calories every 3 hours, then a light meal of mostly vegetables) I went with about 1000 a day. (stay away from beef, breads, rice, potatoes, etc.)

3. As long as I'm 'good' all week, I allow myself ONE meal of anything I crave and try to just keep it below 3000 calories...as a treat to ME. (I actually started a bucket list of the bad food we all like so much)

So, it took me all these years to figure it out...less calories in & more calories out = weight loss....DUH!

Then I started working out...treadmill for an hour a day and wanted to add something fun for the upperbody that wasn't too crazy...found the speedbag and now I'm addicted. I now exercise for about 2-4 hours a day, never watch the cooking shows anymore (or much TV in general) and make a point of getting out and doing things.

Almost a year later, I'm back to a waist size I haven't worn since high school. I'm working on getting to 140lbs., which is what the BMI tells me I should be even though I feel that will be a little small for my body type. (My family grows OUT, not up!)

It works...and I'm glad it does.

Can't tell you how much better I feel in general. I figure the food will always be there & I've sure eaten my share... I'm not really missing anything.
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Over43
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jun 2011

I'm like my dad, we're like sharks cruising a seal colony and snap at anything that looks edible.

Today I did 7 rounds on the speed bag, did jumping jacks in between rounds, and then hopped on the Airdyne for 20 minutes. Although I find the speed bag relaxing and trance-like, I find aerobic work a drag at best. Probably I am where I am at is in my early 20's I switched from running (in HS I could run a 6 minute mile "cold"...) and weighing 145 pounds to power lifting and weighing 210 when I was 35. I thought I was something until my uncle called me butterball. (That was like telling the prom queen she's ugly...)

I think a lot of us in middle age find exercise, running particularly, a bummer because when we were teens we were either punished with pulling weeds at home or running at school.

Thank goodness for Round-Up.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...