X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ozzy
    • Mar 2015

Bag comparison: Title Gyro vs Fighting Sports

Hi everyone, hope you won't mind helping me with the following question, my apologies if it has already been answered on the forum before.

I'm keen on buying 3 bags of sizes 5 x 8, 6 x 9, & 7 x 10 and so should I buy the set of three TITLE Boxing Gyro Balanced Speed Bags or the set of three Fighting Sports Pro Speed Bags? I should add that I'm a relative newbie who has been finding things rather hard for some time and so I would prefer the set containing the bags that are good for me to learn with.

Finally, where can I buy the Art of the Bag dvd from? I haven't been able to find it anywhere .

Anyway, I hope someone can help me with these questions, their solution form part of my plan for getting unstuck.

Keep on baggin - ozzy
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ozzy View Post

I'm keen on buying 3 bags of sizes 5 x 8, 6 x 9, & 7 x 10 and so should I buy the set of three TITLE Boxing Gyro Balanced Speed Bags or the set of three Fighting Sports Pro Speed Bags? I should add that I'm a relative newbie who has been finding things rather hard for some time and so I would prefer the set containing the bags that are good for me to learn with.
    Fighting Sports...the black & white, 6x9 one is my 'go to' bag for learning new combos, love that bag. I also like the Title gold 5x8. You will end up with all kinds of bags! If I had to choose, I'd go with the FS set. They make a high quality bag. Work slow on the 7x10...then speed it up a bit on the 6x9...then let her rip on the 5x8!

Finally, where can I buy the Art of the Bag dvd from? I haven't been able to find it
    Click the picture in my signature! Go to www.artofthebag.com
    Or
    If you're out of the USA, search eBay, I have a listing there for other country's.
    Or
    You can stream the film online...also on www.artofthebag.com
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi everyone, hope you won't mind helping me with the following question, my apologies if it has already been answered on the forum before.

Finally, where can I buy the Art of the Bag dvd from? I haven't been able to find it anywhere .

Anyway, I hope someone can help me with these questions, their solution form part of my plan for getting unstuck.

Keep on baggin - ozzy
      Hey Ozzy.

Both your bags choices are fine, good quality bags - but If those two sets of 3 bags are your only option, I personally would go with the Fighting Sports bags. I like the leather better and they do not have the red raised plastic seams. Like Master ZaZa, the FS 9x6 is an awesome go to bag and the white 8x5 is rock solid also.

But me personally, I wouldn't limit my choices to "a set of 3 by the same brand". I am partial to the black and white FS 9x6, but I also hit the Red title 9x6 a lot also. I like each for different reasons. lately I'm working on some "bag spins", which is a bit advanced (to me) and has you just grazing the bag or tapping it lightly with a fist, finger or elbow to have it spin under the swivel, rather than rebound. I love using the FS black and white 9x6 to see the quality of the spin since the alternating black and white panels really emphasize the quality (or not ) of the spin. Right now you probably don't need to worry about that. But that is a great bag in general. For normally punching of a 9x6 I prefer the red title 9x6 since it is a bit lighter on the hands and IMO a bit faster than the FS 9x6 bag.

for speed I'm partial to the Title Black Turbo 8x5, when you can get one that is evenly shaped. (that's a crap shoot unfortunately. they tend to have warp and bubble issues on the upper seam areas. I have seen this on about half these bags that I have ordered.). I love the varied leather on this bag and it's a great shape and weight for it's size. I also admit I love hitting the 8x5 Leone because I swear the bladder has flubber in the rubber. BOUNCY! Some members have had problem with the top rivet coming out of this bag. Mine has not yet. But I'm not using it that often right now. For the record, the FS white 8x5 is also a great bag, nice leather, good shape and fast.

Everyone around here has their favorites, for various personal reasons, but all of the bags you mentioned in your original post are Good quality bags, so go with your gut, or probably your wallet, and get the ones you want.

Last edited by Speedbag; 04-21-2015, 12:31 AM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ozzy
        • Mar 2015

Hi ZaZa,

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

The reason I compared these sets of 3 bags was because they were the best sets I could find in the uk and was unable to find a place over in the States with reasonable delivery charges. However... I have now found a sports shop in the States with good delivery charges and they have a really nice selection of bags. So maybe I'll be able to mix and match various bags as Alan suggests.

Thank you also for the directions to "The Art of the Bag" dvd, I'll pop over to ebay and "bag" a copy asap.

Thanks again ZaZa - keep on baggin!
        Last edited by ozzy; 04-21-2015, 04:51 AM.

Comment

• ozzy
          • Mar 2015

Hi Alan,

Really grateful for the advice especially as it now looks like I won't have to keep to either set of 3 bags since I won't have to keep to places in the uk. I've now found a sports shop in the states with decent postal charges to the uk and so a whole new world of fun has opened up for me.

I'll look up those bags you recommend, crack the combination on the wife's purse and those 3 little beauties will be all mine :-)

Thanks again Alan, no doubt I'll be buggin you again soon - keep on baggin!

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi Alan,

Really grateful for the advice especially as it now looks like I won't have to keep to either set of 3 bags since I won't have to keep to places in the uk. I've now found a sports shop in the states with decent postal charges to the uk and so a whole new world of fun has opened up for me.

I'll look up those bags you recommend, crack the combination on the wife's purse and those 3 little beauties will be all mine :-)

Thanks again Alan, no doubt I'll be buggin you again soon - keep on baggin!
            No worries, ozzy. You can bug me about baggin' anytime
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris76
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Oct 2015

Hi ZaZa,

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it.

The reason I compared these sets of 3 bags was because they were the best sets I could find in the uk and was unable to find a place over in the States with reasonable delivery charges. However... I have now found a sports shop in the States with good delivery charges and they have a really nice selection of bags. So maybe I'll be able to mix and match various bags as Alan suggests.

Thank you also for the directions to "The Art of the Bag" dvd, I'll pop over to ebay and "bag" a copy asap.

Thanks again ZaZa - keep on baggin!
              Hi there.

Please share the info.

Between delivery and charges on arrival, bags triple in cost!

Comment

• ozzy
                • Mar 2015

Hi Chris,

The sports shop I use is Forza Sports...

You can either order from their website or they have a shop especially for the uk on ebay called forzasports-uk unsurprisingly.

Here's the rub...

the ebay shop has less choice, still pretty good, than the website but if you buy something you won't have to worry about customs charges with anything you buy.

the website has more choice and pretty cheap postage however...

if your item gets chosen by uk customs:
                You will have to pay their charges which I think are
                20% of (item price - £15),
                the post office add an £8 charge also for collecting your item from customs (b'stards). You get a card from the post office saying you have to pay the charges before they will release your item

if your item DOES NOT get chosen by uk customs:
                The post office delivers your item and you do a little dance and thrust 2 fingers up to customs - hooray !!

Over the years I think its been approximately 50/50 with regards to being caught by customs or not, with the bigger items being looked at more than the smaller ones. In saying that the things I've bought have still been cheaper than the uk price even with the charges although obviously it's much closer to the uk price - bummer

So there you go Chris, that's all there is to it, happy shopping.

Keep on baggin - ozzy

Comment

• Chris76
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Oct 2015

Hi Chris,

The sports shop I use is Forza Sports...

You can either order from their website or they have a shop especially for the uk on ebay called forzasports-uk unsurprisingly.

Here's the rub...

the ebay shop has less choice, still pretty good, than the website but if you buy something you won't have to worry about customs charges with anything you buy.

the website has more choice and pretty cheap postage however...

if your item gets chosen by uk customs:
                  You will have to pay their charges which I think are
                  20% of (item price - £15),
                  the post office add an £8 charge also for collecting your item from customs (b'stards). You get a card from the post office saying you have to pay the charges before they will release your item

if your item DOES NOT get chosen by uk customs:
                  The post office delivers your item and you do a little dance and thrust 2 fingers up to customs - hooray !!

Over the years I think its been approximately 50/50 with regards to being caught by customs or not, with the bigger items being looked at more than the smaller ones. In saying that the things I've bought have still been cheaper than the uk price even with the charges although obviously it's much closer to the uk price - bummer

So there you go Chris, that's all there is to it, happy shopping.

Keep on baggin - ozzy
                  Hey Ozzy,

thanks for this

I tried an estimate for shipping and it quoted $5 to ship a speed bag.

I am waiting for a delivery from Title and they are charging me $50 to ship. I ordered 2 bags because i couldn't stand paying more for shipping than for the bag itself.

Now to see what customs are going to charge me

Comment

• ozzy
                    • Mar 2015

Hi Chris,

Oh those charges are terrible Title has some nice stuff but their shipping charges to the uk are ridiculous. I hope customs miss your parcel when it gets here.

Forza Sports are much better as you've seen. They don't have a huge stock but I've found them okay for what I've needed which includes a lot of boxing gear. Oh and by the way when I want say 3 things I order them separate, or maybe 2 things plus 1 more, it depends on the postage. You pay a bit more postage all together but you would be very unlucky to get all 3 things stopped by customs, although it's not impossible of course.
                    So if they only stop 1 of your parcels you only pay the amount of vat owing for that 1 parcel, the other 2 arrive free of extra vat charges - hooray!

Anyway, good luck with the stuff from Title - ozzy

Comment

• Chris76
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Oct 2015

The parcel arrived and I can give exact amounts paid:

2 speedbags - $80.00
                      Shipping - $56.00
                      Fees upon delivery - $53.00 (€48.00)
                      Total - $190

Comment

• paranday
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Chris76 View Post

2 speedbags - $80.00
                        Shipping - $56.00
                        Total - $190
                        That's criminal.

Comment

• ozzy
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Chris76 View Post

2 speedbags - $80.00
                          Shipping - $56.00
                          Total - $190
                          Sorry Chris have been busy this week and haven't had the chance to check back I wish to god I had now

My god her majesty's customs are taking the p*ss aren't they those figures seem too high to me.

I've put your purchase price and cost of delivery (used £0.00 for insurance) into the Import Duty & Taxes Calculator on Google and they return an import duty and taxes of £17.81 even with the royal mail's £8 charge you shouldn't have paid any more than £25.81, which converts to $39.52. (only $27.27 without the royal mail's kind contribution). Have you been given a run-down of your charges Chris?

I feel dreadful that I didn't put the Forza Sports stuff on the site earlier, I thought it was common knowledge as it had a uk branch on ebay, and I wasn't sure if I could recommend a particular sports shop as well.
                          What a total bummer - ozzy

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...