• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Everlast 4203 Kangaroo

I haven't seen this bag yet on the forum, so I thought I'd post. I only found a few posts mentioning the massive and elusive 4203, with or without Kangaroo.

I have not restored it yet, so I can't report much about it other than looks and size. 11oz with the stock black butyl bladder. 9"x13". Pretty light for the size, so I can't wait to get some latex in there.

Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Looks to be in nice shape. It's slightly smaller than the 4207, probably the same size as the 4208 (which IHMO was a bit of a dud). This would be the largest bag in the "pro" line. The 4204 is an 8x5 as I recall. After that you go into the institutional line, at least from the 1960's on
    Last edited by Dutchman; 05-21-2017, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• rdshackleford
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2016

I had a very similar era Everlast 4202. I had the same construction, same lacing, same logo markings (except for the word 'Kangaroo'). After I restored it, I was not happy with the performance. Indeed it was a dud. So I put it back up into eBay from whence I got it.

The proof is in the pudding on these old vintage bags, so I will wait until its restored and I can get it up for punching. If I don't like it then, well then back onto eBay it goes.

-Rusty
      @ArcSwivel
      #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

The size and shape are nearly identical to the Everlast 4207 military bag. Just a tad shorter than Title big blue. But this is kangaroo leather, and the 4203 weighs a full 1.5oz LESS than big blue. I tested with different pressures, and it wants to run at 3psi.

This bag is a lot of fun. When I bought it, it looked so similar to the same vintage 4202 I had, I figured it would be a dud also, but at the price I paid, I could easily double my money on it. But its a keeper.

It is a long bag with a big swing. It is a big muscle workout to get it hopping, but the big breeze it generates makes it feel more like a walk in the park. The leather welting is a bit stiff, maybe due to its age. I'm hoping some more mink oil and lots of punching will soften them up.

Oh, and I ran out of tan leather laces, so I used black for now. I'll get the perdy tan laces on there soon.
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
          I haven't seen this bag yet on the forum, so I thought I'd post. I only found a few posts mentioning the massive and elusive 4203, with or without Kangaroo.

I have not restored it yet, so I can't report much about it other than looks and size. 11oz with the stock black butyl bladder. 9"x13". Pretty light for the size, so I can't wait to get some latex in there.

Rusty

what.....Son?
          Attached Files
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

lol, alan. but I do have a serious question about the 'roo leather. I'd be willing to believe they used real kangaroo skins at some time in the past. But not any more, no matter what words they use to describe it. Dutchman and other please chime in, was there a point in time when they stopped using kangaroo? Is there any way to tell if a bag's leather is real kangaroo?
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• jaja6009
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2016

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              what.....Son?
              LOL!
              Looks like a great place to store your bag to keep it nice and new!

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Ringside used kangaroo leather back in the mid 1980's. It's lightweight and durable. I don't know of any manufacturers using it for sporting goods of any kind at this time. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kangaroo_leather

Comment

• rdshackleford
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Oct 2016

The bag I pictured above does not have a thin hide in my opinion. It may be marginally lighter than other cowhide bags of the era.

So, I still seek thin kangaroo leather.

-Rusty
                  @ArcSwivel
                  #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

The original production Ringside red and black bags from the mid 1980's are kangaroo, but I have to admit that I haven't seen any for sale on eBay or other sites. I have no idea what their total production figures were for these, but they had switched to the red banana bags by the early 1990's I recall.

Comment

• PunchDrummer
                      • Jan 2012

Not to go too far off topic, but I have two of these "Kangaroo" bags. They're not as deep as they are wide - kind-of like a pancake. They're really bouncy - because they're light as a feather with an absolutely beautiful thin-but-tough skin, and they have those fantastic Everlast bouncy red rubber bladders. They're better-suited for a "U-Bolt" swivel to start 'cause they like to go perfectly straight. Once you master that, you can really have fun with them on a nice Ball-Hook swivel with a light action like the De-Ville. These Kangaroos can be challenging and a lot of fun. One of my favorite bags. Just putting it out there.....

Bag:

This is the video on that page showing the 'Roo bag.:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                      Last edited by PunchDrummer; 06-10-2017, 01:27 AM.

Comment

• Dutchman
                        Speed Bag Historian
                        • Jun 2006

Ah, so Everlast did start marketing a 'roo bag again, didn't catch that. Thanks for the update. I don't follow them much anymore, as much of what they have done recently has been a total disappointment.

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          Ah, so Everlast did start marketing a 'roo bag again, didn't catch that. Thanks for the update. I don't follow them much anymore, as much of what they have done recently has been a total disappointment.
                          Word..... Show the name, wear the shirts.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• glus
                            • Apr 2020

Watching this 4203 on Ebay.

Rusty's 4203 from a few years ago, I assume this one is much newer. I'm not ready to spend another $60 on a 'maybe it's okay' bag, so just curious what folks here have to say about this era of 4203. If anyone pulls the trigger on this, please share a review for the rest of us

Comment

• Dutchman
                              Speed Bag Historian
                              • Jun 2006

The old school pro line is hard to beat. Bear in mind that this is a big bag, in the neighborhood of the institutional models 4205 and 4207 as I recall (maybe a tad smaller, it's been a while since I've actually seen one). Only the really big retail outfits would carry the complete Pro and Institutional line, along with the striking bag kits intended for the mass market. We had two in San Diego at one time, Stanley Andrews, which was a local chain, and Sportland in La Mesa. The former was forced out of business when Oshmans and Big Five entered the market here. Sportland held on longer as a general sporting goods store, but it now specializes in team outfitting (mostly uniforms). Stanley Andrews would have a very large display featuring pretty much the entire line. It was awe inspiring......

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...