• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vader1918
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2017

Thanks Everyone

Hi All,

Thanks to everyone who contributes here. I used this site heavily for my research for my project. Attached are the results of my outdoor platform. The drum was made from two table (top) rounds purchased from home depot. I gorilla glued the two together for, sanded heavily and then stained and varnished with marine varnish. Spray painted the swivel and hardware in a rust proof black. Just got it up last night, and it sounds and feels much better than the original drum.
    Attached Files
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Excellent work, vader, and welcome!

Your setup has a very nice look to it. I like the flat black and dark wood stain combination. On the performance side, you may want to think about how to recess the bolts & washers into the lower platform so they don't move the rebound or cause wear into the bag itself. I have used simple spade wood drill bits for this, but there may be other options.

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• vader1918
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Aug 2017

Wip

Thanks Rusty. I will take your advice and recess the bolts. I frankly left a few items on the table just because I got a little too excited to start hitting again.

on the list: Recessing the bolts. Removing the wood screws used for the swivel and replacing with bolts to easily swap and do an maintenance on the drum (another tip from here!). Respray the paint on hardware and swivel to remove the wear and tear that occurred during installation. etc.

BTW: any suggestions for a fella who lost their swivel lock? I was thinking a rubber band around it would suffice, but there may be a better answer.

Comment

• REB
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Jan 2017

Welcome vader. Very nice set up. I like the heavy bag too. It looks old school. What brand is it and may I ask where you got it? thanks
        Last edited by REB; 08-10-2017, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• Bag Man
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by vader1918 View Post
          Thanks Rusty. I will take your advice and recess the bolts. I frankly left a few items on the table just because I got a little too excited to start hitting again.

on the list: Recessing the bolts. Removing the wood screws used for the swivel and replacing with bolts to easily swap and do an maintenance on the drum (another tip from here!). Respray the paint on hardware and swivel to remove the wear and tear that occurred during installation. etc.

BTW: any suggestions for a fella who lost their swivel lock? I was thinking a rubber band around it would suffice, but there may be a better answer.
          I believe that the piece you are looking for is called a roller chain master connecting link. If I recall the standard Everlast link was a size 60. They are easy to order and inexpensive. I suggest your measure first though to make sure it fits the swivel and bag.

For example:http://www.rollerchain4less.com/Stan...CABEgJQnvD_BwE
          "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• vader1918
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Aug 2017

Originally posted by REB View Post
            Welcome vader. Very nice set up. I like the heavy bag too. It looks old school. What brand is it and may I ask where you got it? thanks
            Thanks! I have had the heavy bag for some time. Works for pure boxing or kickboxing. Also nice for working clinch drills.

Its a Twins bag:
            TWINS HEAVY BAG- NYLON AND LEATHER

Its been too long, but I think it got it through Title boxing, which it looks like they have stopped carrying them. Unfortunate, because I am not seeing them anywhere else pre-filled.

Comment

• vader1918
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Aug 2017

Thanks alot!

Comment

• REB
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by vader1918 View Post
                Thanks! I have had the heavy bag for some time. Works for pure boxing or kickboxing. Also nice for working clinch drills.

Its a Twins bag:
                TWINS HEAVY BAG- NYLON AND LEATHER

Its been too long, but I think it got it through Title boxing, which it looks like they have stopped carrying them. Unfortunate, because I am not seeing them anywhere else pre-filled.
                Thank you vader...I will search around and see what pops up

Comment

• jaja6009
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2016

Nice setup! I used those Home Depot rounds to reinforce the board at work. They are inexpensive and work great. I want to setup an outdoor setup too.

Great job!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...