• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
    My advantage is understanding rhythm, time signatures, syncopation and polyrhythms....
    I just went back and watched this video a few more times (and added to my youtube favorites)... it's really awesome.

Now fess up... how many takes before you got this down? I don't think you mis-hit at all. I got to say you are a natural at this. To be able to do something like this 4 months in is pretty incredible.
    Last edited by Tim; 02-03-2009, 07:45 PM.

Comment

• bigboy
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jan 2009

that was great

Can't wait to get even close to that skill. Watching stuff like that keeps me motivated.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        I just went back and watched this video a few more times (and added to my youtube favorites)... it's really awesome.

Now fess up... how many takes before you got this down? I don't think you mis-hit at all. I got to say you are a natural at this. To be able to do something like this 4 months in is pretty incredible.
        Thanks Tim. I think I said 5th take. And that meant when I turned the camera on and decided to let it roll until I got a good one. I think I messed up 4 times and then got it on the 5th. I may have done a couple tries before that where I practiced and checked the camera angle. I was real surprised I got it that quick. But with that said, I practiced to the song here and there over the past week or so. And before that, I just tried to find the most basic combo to get the same rhythms as the song. That was a month or two ago. But it's not like I would practice YYZ every day. Just here and there. Just like everything else I practice on the bag. Sometimes I try to mess with both bags at the same time. Sometimes I add in the kick drum or the snare. Sometimes I work on speed with the basic boxer combos. Sometimes real slow on advanced stuff that's hard for me. Sometimes I pick up a lick from a Skunk, Alan Kahn, Dee Pooler, or Billy Mack. Or read up on some new speed Bag Bible pages. It's however I feel. I started bagging (attempting) to the whole Rush Moving Pictures CD. It is awesome and it's fun to get back into a record you haven't really cranked in years.
        The natural factor is from understanding rhythm and drums. It makes it a lot easier to know quickly in my head how the punch sequences will land relative to music and time signatures. When my technique gets better, it'll eventually catch up with my ear. I can keep stuff going and totally know where it'll land in the groove but I mess up and mishit (which reads like it sounds...haha), cuz I'm still getting all the combos together.... But it's coming along....
        Thanks for diggin' it. I thought it would be somewhat of an eye catcher cuz the music is so odd sounding and heavily rhythmic. It makes it look like I'm doing even more, or controlling the music, or it's controlling me!
        BAG ON!

Originally posted by bigboy View Post
        Can't wait to get even close to that skill. Watching stuff like that keeps me motivated.
        Thanks Big Boy! Watch Alan Kahn for the real deal improvising in time with power and finesse to music! Watch him punch to the 1812 Overture. That's serious s**t! I will get there, but as of now, he is the only one I know of that can jam hard punch drumming to music perfectly in time.
        I mean really, he's the only one. If someone was that into the bag and punch drumming where they could do what Alan does, then they would probably own the Speed Bag Bible and the DVDs and be video taping themselves because we are in the youtube age! It's awesome to be able to get involved and communicate with others about similar interest, hobbies and loves, etc....
        So punch drummers come on out and let us see your show! Yeah!
        But....I would love to see Skunk put on some Cannibal Corpse and just freak out! It wouldn't have to be in time, it would just look insane to see him punch to extreme music with blast beats! Watch the Speed Bag Skunk for the full on blitzkrieg of speed and control!
        .....It's all art to me!
        GET BAGIFIED!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Watch him punch to the 1812 Overture. That's serious s**t! I will get there, but as of now, he is the only one I know of that can jam hard punch drumming to music perfectly in time.

GET BAGIFIED!
          Actually, SMP, That's the William Tell Overture.

The 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky is an awesome overture (one of my favorites if you're into classical..) and I've punched to it a few times (not video). It doesn't punch out as easily as Wm Tell, which has a more distinct groove with that signature repetitive 3-beat melody. It is also holds a steady beat for longer periods. 1812 has a lot of speed changes in the music, but Wm. Tell is fast and furious for longer periods. You were already doing the 3-punch F-Roll in the YYZ song, so just pass to Reverse and repeat a 3 punch R-Roll. It happens about 9 times in a row, but it's easy to follow. It happens first at 2:03sec, but I started with a R-Roll cause my hands were behind the bag and I knew I would use a R-Roll first about a measure ahead. Notice at 2:09sec I used a D-TES instead of a 3-punch F-Roll. I do that for variety, I just need the 3-beats at that point, and have several options to get it (F-Roll, O-TES, D-TES or S-TES). I actually screwed the end of that sequence up, cause I got off sequence at the end and missed the definitive beat that ended that whole phrase. My Right hand were stuck in single linking and I couldn't get the slam in on that last beat. And I really got off in the next sequence, smacking my hands together in a R-Roll at 2:29s. Actually that was a moment of indecision of where I was going. Oh well. Take 2.

Now you can start picking apart what I'm doing. Once you know what to look for, it's easier to figure out.

I chose the link to 1812 "with 105mm Cannons" cause I know we got a gunnery or two in here.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I have to agree with spinsmashpop that Alan's improv to Rossini's William Tell Overture is amazing. It is my favorite video. Every time I watch it, I am impressed.

For the rhythmically-challanged, like myself, watching you guys punch drum to music blows me away. I hope to get to the advanced punching stage, and then, work on my speed. I can only dream of doing what you guys do.

Although, I must have picked up a few rhytmic pointers along the way, because the other night the wife peeked into the garage and said, "Maybe there is hope for you!"

Maybe other musicians will join and help promote the speed bag. Here's looking forward to more videos.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
              Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

[QUOTE=Speedbag;10030]Actually, SMP, That's the William Tell Overture.

My mistake, it was late!
              Speaking of this stuff, Tim should add a section to the site, ("GET BAGIFIED!") that has a bunch of great bagging vids and have them embedded there. There are some great Alan Kahn, Skunk, Dee Pooler, Paulie D, Tim Platt, Billy Mack, and many other vids of inspiration on youtube..... It would be great to have them all in one area.....Then newcomers could come here and get the motherload right in their face!
              BAG ON!

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Thanks Tim. I think I said 5th take.
                Yep, you did. I had read the original post a couple days ago and forgot that part. Having that down in 5 takes... Unbaggingbelievable!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Yep, you did. I had read the original post a couple days ago and forgot that part. Having that down in 5 takes... Unbaggingbelievable!
                  Thanks TIm....
                  But like anything, I did practice it. Enough time had passed and it got to the point where I felt somewhat ready to video it....
                  You are doing some great stuff in your vids Tim. And you have some speed. And you aren't mis-hitting. I think it's basically the same thing, only I punch a sequence to a song for 40 secs or something.....

I know it takes time and the pressure of the red light is on, but i think it helps us all to see what some of us guys who aren't on the level of AK and Skunk etc.... are doing!
                  PLEASE MORE VIDS OF BAGGERS! COME ON!
                  BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                    I have to agree with spinsmashpop that Alan's improv to Rossini's William Tell Overture is amazing. It is my favorite video. Every time I watch it, I am impressed.

For the rhythmically-challanged, like myself, watching you guys punch drum to music blows me away. I hope to get to the advanced punching stage, and then, work on my speed. I can only dream of doing what you guys do.

Although, I must have picked up a few rhytmic pointers along the way, because the other night the wife peeked into the garage and said, "Maybe there is hope for you!"
                    I will say that punch drumming to music is a bit of an artform. I know a lot of great baggers that just don't "feel the bag beat" and how to manipulate it to music. They can hit fast and furious, but either they can't feel the bag beat to music or they can't control it. When I was drumming (High School), I saw several drummers that were very impressive rudimental drummers, and could play any written drum sheet music like clockwork - but they could not improvise, or ad lib on their own.

Biff, I would say "can you dance?". If you have good rhythm and are a pretty decent dancer than you can probably learn to punch drum. Feeling the beat and having a sense of rhythm is the key, and it will translate to the bag. Bag technique is secondary, for you can punch drum to music with just the Basic Rhythm, which is only two techniques. If you feel rhythm it's just learning to control it.

I'm betting you're a twisting, twirling demon on the dance floor.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• bigboy
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jan 2009

wow

simply amazing and makes it seem sooo easy!! I have watched that over and over!!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by bigboy View Post
                        simply amazing and makes it seem sooo easy!! I have watched that over and over!!
                        Thanks! I think the mightiness of Rush and that riff in particular adds to the impact. But man, it ain't much compared to Alan Kahn freestyling in time! Learning a sequence is one thing, but then to go and improvise is another!
                        But no matter what, it's nice to know that other baggers get off on one of my clips!
                        BAG ON!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                          Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                          I will say that punch drumming to music is a bit of an artform.
                          It totally is! Advanced speed bagging is total art! It's control, rhythm, power, finesse, balance and grace! I've said it before but the luberjacks have a competition on ESPN and stuff.... why can't speed baggers have at least an hour special on ESPN or Discovery or something? There needs to be a competition started up! It would be fun and get exposure everywhere!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                            Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Yeah right! That's the next level!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                            You were already doing the 3-punch F-Roll in the YYZ song, so just pass to Reverse and repeat a 3 punch R-Roll. It happens about 9 times in a row, but it's easy to follow.
                            Hey AK! A 3-punch fist roll from the front is one thing, but to simply "just pass to Reverse and repeat a 3 punch R-Roll" ain't that easy!
                            Those are coming along but very hit and miss. I feel like some of the most difficult stuff on the bag is any reverse fist rolls over 2 punches. But then to do it in time at William Tell tempo, that's advanced! I don't like the 3 and more reverse fist rolls yet cuz that's when I know my bag is probably gonna start getting all erratic! haha....

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Hey AK! A 3-punch fist roll from the front is one thing, but to simply "just pass to Reverse and repeat a 3 punch R-Roll" ain't that easy!
                              Yea, easy for me to say, but in a month or so you'll think it is. Notice I start each with my Right Fist. All the underlined punches hit the Front of the Bag.

[ RLR = 3 punch Fist Roll ]

RLR ' ' RLR ' ' RLR ' ' R ' ' R ' ' RLR ' ' RLR ' ' RLR ' ' R ' ' R ' ' RLR ' ' RLR ' ' RLR ' ' R ' ' R ' ' RLR ' ' RLRLRLR ' ' R ' ' R ' ' …start from R-Roll

The only Tricky part is the 7 punch Roll at the end, which will put the 7th punch "R" being the first punch of the definitive 3-beat final R '' R '' R of that melody. The first 6 punches are just fill beats waiting for that final 3-beat sequence. Then the sequence starts over from the Reverse Roll. The entire Roll sequence is the same from either side so it doesn't matter where you start it. I might change a RLR 3 beat roll with a D-TES or O-TES. As long as it has three single punches it doesn't matter.

(* be aware the 7 punch Roll will also occur as a R-Roll as the pattern repeats from the other side..... )
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
                                Speed Bag Guru
                                • Oct 2007

Good stuff!!! Your tempo's spot on.
                                sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...