X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Hi Walker808. Yep. these are pine logs. Pinus radiata. A good height is one you are happy to stand and slug away on the bag at. Maybe this setup is a bit low for me, but for a quasimoto bagger it would be perfect. Soon I will be one if I carry on hitting the bag at this height lol. Nah it's sweet but if the bottom log was a bit bigger it might be nicer. Waist height is pretty good. Cool to hear you are getting into some vert bag scuffles. Just throw the shapes and the bag will obey.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Walker808 View Post
      I just added a vertical bag and was wondering if their is a certain hight off the ground , that is recommend , as for right now I have it center swivel at my belt hight. ( looks as if your using island pine logs , Norfolk or cook ? ) great idea. Thanks for the video , you make it look a lot easier than it is !! Thank you
      Try those to this song.... The main melody is a triplet beat...

Charge! (cool video)

Rossini original (faster....)

ps: this can be the longest 3:20 of you life under the board when trying to keep up with it in syncopated.

sounds a little like this on the bag.... (triplets start at 2 minutes)

This is NOT an easy song to keep up with. Through the years it was always one of my favorites and most challenging to go for very long in syncopated punching. Obviously I fall on and off beat at times, But it is fun to nail the triplets that sync with the melody when you can.

notice the triplet pattern can go several ways, as long as there are two rebounds inbetween the three punch rolls (or triplet elbow strikes as you are doing in your video)

(F-Roll)x3 ' ' (R-Roll)x3 ' ' (F-Roll)x3 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' ....(*now three punch roll sequence starts behind the bag) ... (R-Roll)x3 ' ' (F-Roll)x3 ' ' (R-Roll)x3 ' ' FSP ' ' RCP ' ' ......(* return to start over in front) ... (F-Roll)x3 ' ' (R-Roll)x3 ' ' (F-Roll)x3 ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' ..(R-Roll)...as long a needed.

Notice how the The last punch of the third Roll in the sequence (F-Roll)x3 because the three single beats you hear in the melody that separates the triple. sounds like.

DDD ' ' DDD ' ' DDD ' ' D ' ' D ..... So the last punch of that triplet is the first of those three beats.

R'L'R ' ' R'L'R ' ' R'L'R ' ' ...R ' ' R ' ' ...repeat behind.

Just for fun, you can mix the triplets as 3-punch monty's and it makes the same sound, also use a triple elbow strike.

FDP ' SSP ' ' SDP ' RSP ' ' O-TES ' ' RSP ' ' ... RDP ' SSP ' ' SDP ' RSP ' ' FDP ' SSP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP - or SSP ' ' ...doesn't matter.

Lots of ways to mix this up, but the speed that it happens in is pretty challenging.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 12-05-2015, 11:06 AM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2015

Oh man! i've gotta download those songs so I can have a go without being on the net. I have seen footage of you hitting to that song before- pretty amazing. Looks like it would be really fun!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
          Oh man! i've gotta download those songs so I can have a go without being on the net. I have seen footage of you hitting to that song before- pretty amazing. Looks like it would be really fun!
          It's the last 5 minutes of a much longer piece

(William Tell Overture_full version by Rossini: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoBE69wdSkQ )

I love the music of that era. just saying

OK, Ross...just try to keep up in syncopated rhythms, with this one...

Gioachino Rossini - The Barber of Seville [* especially fun on the Swivel of MsDeville :-) ]

Discuss/review/recommend the work at https://classicalmusiconly.com/work/gioachino-rossini/the-barber-of-seville-ov7nTitle : Gioachino Antonio Rossini , The ...

(Use Syncopated combinations...) 2min - to - 3:41 (don't forget various triple elbow strikes..)
          then straight time 3:41 to 4:27 (good to use basic during quieter sequences of classic music (oboe and French horns here...the bag tends to drown them out when your pounding in syncopated...) but notice the speed of the music remains the same..)

then back to syncopated combinations from 4:27 to 5:10. (* listen! at 4:57-4:58 the four definitive beats (FSP ' ' ' ' RSP) then again at 5:03-504, then again for the final...5:04 - to 5:06....

These piece also lets you use a lot of 3 punch rolls or 3-punch monty's for they fit the melody well.

from 5:03 to 5:09 end is a total of 17 definite beats ON the beat. Try nailing that with FSP ' ' ' ' RSP, mix in SSP ' ' ' ' SSP and try to nail those ON beat x17 times. Try to make the last one a solid FDP or O-TES. BAM! Now that's punch drumming. and if you survive that, you can do it again through the remaining few minutes.

Best part about classic music is...at the piece normally builds to a more dramatic and frenetic finish, you can add more triplet and four way combinations, lots of Double fist pass Throughs (FDP ' ' RDP), added of the OTES, DTES etc. go to 7:05 - to 7:40. Just as dramatic and open to speed bag interpretation as the William Tell piece.

I was raised on Classical Music, what can I say

Last edited by Speedbag; 12-07-2015, 09:18 PM.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2015

I think I would have to listen to that about ten billion times before I would be able to anticipate what's about to happen with it's rhythm! I struggle to even hear the beat, especially for the first half. I'd like to give it a try -next time I get a good chance, but lately my bag hitting is like wham bam time is up. I guess that's why i've been just reeling out a few obscure combos each time. They don't take me long to pick up. I'd prefer to drum, it's what I really want to be doing, but I need more than a couple of minutes to get a good fix. But I can't complain, my time will come and I will hit the bag all day once again.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2015

I go for songs that are easy to hear the beat in, because i'm not all that musically inclined. Such as this song. By the beastie boys
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
              Last edited by Speedbag Seaweed Man; 12-08-2015, 02:14 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
                I go for songs that are easy to hear the beat in, because i'm not all that musically inclined. Such as this song. By the beastie boys
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIa9okSy6X8;
                Ha! pretty simple beat. No violins.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...