X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toskabab
    • Jan 2016

And the journey begins...

Slowly but surely. I think. Hey this is toskabab aka Speedbag I don't know what the hell I'm doing. About 3 weeks ago, I was browsing through random youtube videos and came across a member video bagging to "Memory Lane." Since then I made it my mission to learn this fine art. I ordered the speed bag bible about a week ago and as I'm writing this, I got a notification on my phone that the package just reached the destination city, which means I should be getting it tomorrow. This is a video I took today at the gym in order to have a baseline to track my progress. I've been practicing on average about an hour a day (plus or minus a few days) for the past 3 weeks. The video is a little disorganized, I didn't do any planning or prepping. I threw in some elbow and backhand strikes and also attempted hitting sideways and back and forth. I'll get there eventually. It would be so much easier to practice if I had my own setup. Let me know if any of you have any pointers. I know I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong, like lowering my arms for one. I never really noticed myself doing that till I watched the video. I always thought I had them up. Funny what you can learn when viewing yourself in the third person.

Here's the link:
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Great to hear you have disembarked on your journey, cleverly provisioned yourself with a copy of The Speed Bag Bible, it is both the map and the compass.
    Any tips I'd offer are all in there.
    The author, The King Alan Kahn. Aka Speedbag plots a direct path to the bounty.
    If you can hit the bag at home i'd recommend by whichever means available. Its great to be able to walk up to the bag any time you like. Every second thing you do at home will be preceded by a drum roll.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by toskabab View Post
      Slowly but surely. I think. Hey this is toskabab aka Speedbag I don't know what the hell I'm doing. About 3 weeks ago, I was browsing through random youtube videos and came across a member video bagging to "Memory Lane." Since then I made it my mission to learn this fine art. I ordered the speed bag bible about a week ago and as I'm writing this, I got a notification on my phone that the package just reached the destination city, which means I should be getting it tomorrow. This is a video I took today at the gym in order to have a baseline to track my progress. I've been practicing on average about an hour a day (plus or minus a few days) for the past 3 weeks. The video is a little disorganized, I didn't do any planning or prepping. I threw in some elbow and backhand strikes and also attempted hitting sideways and back and forth. I'll get there eventually. It would be so much easier to practice if I had my own setup. Let me know if any of you have any pointers. I know I'm probably doing a lot of things wrong, like lowering my arms for one. I never really noticed myself doing that till I watched the video. I always thought I had them up. Funny what you can learn when viewing yourself in the third person.

Here's the link:
      https://youtu.be/5e7IQFoMl3w

Not too bad for a beginner. Your timing for repetitive punching from the same side is really pretty solid. Some of the other moves will come with more practice and insight on how to do them.

you might want to start hitting 3 or 4 punches repetitive from behind [Reverse Single Punches ..ie (RSP)] to get the hang of it. Start by extending your raised arm out straight, so you fist is sort of behind the bag but angled a bit to the side for comfort. Then just swing from the elbow, (flex arm) so fist comes back toward your face and strikes the bag (index finger knuckle), then drops down a bit and re-circles to hit it again. You are already hitting a single fist pass behind the bag, this will just let you keep it back there. And there will be 3 rebounds (or 5) between the punches.

just for practice. Then change sides of Bag. Three or four Front Circle Punches from the front and the same from the back. remember, only two rebounds on the pass through from front to back, but you are already doing that OK in the video.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• toskabab
        • Jan 2016

Thanks for the feedback guys. Unfortunately, I'm on an unexpected trip for the next couple days (wish I had a reashape ezbag with me) so I won't be able to practice for a while. I'll probably do shadow punches for the time being. Will update you when I start making progress.

Comment

• toskabab
          • Jan 2016

I found piece of wood I could use as a drum. Only problem is its 1/4" short of 24". Will that be detrimental if I'm using an 11x9 bag?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by toskabab View Post
            I found piece of wood I could use as a drum. Only problem is its 1/4" short of 24". Will that be detrimental if I'm using an 11x9 bag?

The end of the bag will go slightly past the board. It may look funky, but depending on the shape of the bag and where the belly makes contact, it might not actually effect the rebound.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• toskabab
              • Jan 2016

This is from earlier today. Trying to master (FDP) and (F-Roll) before I move on.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2015

Ripping it up. It would be good if you could lower the bag a bit.

Comment

• toskabab
                  • Jan 2016

I absolutely agree with both of you. This is what I'm stuck with at the gym and I'm not too fond of the swivel or the bag (it's hard to see in the video but it's pretty dented and somewhat lopsided, they also overinflate the bag and I feel like its gonna bust any second now). I'm still working out the schematics of my first setup. So far all I have is the drum. The problem is I can't make holes in the walls at my house so I need to make something that I can hang over a door or have something self standing. I'm planning on a Deville 13 swivel and an FSP white or black and white bag. I've contacted MsDeville about the swivel but haven't gotten a response yet. If anyone has any extra of these swivels or bags (highly unlikely) I wouldn't mind taking them off you hands.

Sent from my VK700 using Tapatalk

Comment

• toskabab
                    • Jan 2016

I just made a deal on a new in box Valor Ca-2 for $100 on craigslist. What do you guys think? Yay or nay? Going to pick it up tomorrow. I also made a 2" drum I will replace the original with. And I have a deville 13 (thanks Dee!) and a fsp 8×5 on the way. Now I just have to make a self standing platform I can attach it to.

Comment

• toskabab
                      • Jan 2016

What size bag is this Valor next to my fsp 8x5? Website says 12x10 but it can't be...

Comment

• toskabab
                        • Jan 2016

Thanks for the tip! They are recessed and it actually looks and feels pretty even, but a little tape wouldn't hurt. Will see if I can find some with matching color at a hobby shop or something.

Comment

• toskabab
                          • Jan 2016

Just wanted to attest to other member opinions that the Deville 13 is AWESOME!! I'm still getting used to the sound of a ballhook, but man does this thing fly. And IMO it's faster, much more predictable, and easier to control than the chain link that came with my Valor platform. (But I think Valor just makes a garbage chain link, or mine was defective.)

Via Tapatalk

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...