• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CMP
    • Jan 2012

Swivel Dimensions?

Hello,
    I am looking into getting a custom swivel made at a local machine shop but the only prototype I have is the "modern" Everlast Plastic type. Does anyone have the dimensions for the older 2 piece Everlast ball and hook swivel? Base size/Depth/size of ball etc, etc, I see that some of the U-bolt swivels are huge so I guess anything will work but if I am going to spend the cash it would make since to do it right. Thanks

P.S. I have seen the PowerMill Evil Swivel and I would just order a few of those but it looks like he has his hands full for the time being! In the mean time I might be able to get something thrown together.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.......Bruce Lee
  • CMP
    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ventanakaz
    ok i'm going to take a leap of trust here, i have an everlast ball & S hook that i got from one of the members here (speedkilz) i got lucky ;-) i will send you the swivel so you can have it copied. just give me your address and when your done send it back to me ;-)...ralph
    Thank you for you offer, and I may take you up on that!!! Really I am just looking for rough dimensions, like diameter of the base, the depth from the "base or board" to the collar, and the approx. diameter of the ball. We should be able to figure the rest out by looking at pictures.
    The plastic swivel are much smaller the the "stamped" steel junky swivel so I am just wondering where the Everlast falls.
    Again I really appreciate the offer and I may take you up on it, but I would hate for you to part with it unnecessarily. The machine shop owner is the man who designed my rebound ring and has been bagging for years but we just don't have a idea of the dimensions.
    Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.......Bruce Lee

Comment

• jumpcannon
      Creator of the Powermill Evil Swivel

• Jul 2010

Ball .985-.990 faced at .750
      Base 3.375 x .990 thick
      Material grades for ball, base, eye, hook......ancient chinese secret! Lol
      Keep us updated on the progress! The challenge is not in making them......but in machining them from solid clean steels & getting good finishes at a competitive price to other premium swivels. The base is actually pretty simple but time consuming. Turning the balls perfectly & maintaining an exact radius/diameter is challenging. As far as hand bending the Shook......i cant even begin to tell u how frusturating that was to get each one right consistantly. I probably scrapped 100 hooks in 30hrs just to figure out how to do it. And i figured out by total accident. Lots of cussing went on while making these (lol). Then as far as finishes......u have different options & none are cheap. Its ALOT of work to sawcut these into solid blanks & start machining them into swivels. I do these as a hobby just for the metalworking challenge. If i wasnt working so much on the railroad i could spit out a few more of these. But really let us know how they turn out!
      evilswivel@yahoo.com

Comment

• CMP
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
        Ball .985-.990 faced at .750
        Base 3.375 x .990 thick
        Material grades for ball, base, eye, hook......ancient chinese secret! Lol
        Keep us updated on the progress! The challenge is not in making them......but in machining them from solid clean steels & getting good finishes at a competitive price to other premium swivels. The base is actually pretty simple but time consuming. Turning the balls perfectly & maintaining an exact radius/diameter is challenging. As far as hand bending the Shook......i cant even begin to tell u how frusturating that was to get each one right consistantly. I probably scrapped 100 hooks in 30hrs just to figure out how to do it. And i figured out by total accident. Lots of cussing went on while making these (lol). Then as far as finishes......u have different options & none are cheap. Its ALOT of work to sawcut these into solid blanks & start machining them into swivels. I do these as a hobby just for the metalworking challenge. If i wasnt working so much on the railroad i could spit out a few more of these. But really let us know how they turn out!
        Thanks so much for the information, I really appreciate it! I highly doubt that it will compare to your swivel, that thing looks awesome and I can imagine you have tons of time into each one you make. We will only be banging out a few for home use, cause as you know they are time consuming, expensive and a pain in the rear to build. "El Presidente" is a pretty inventive guy with a lot of practical know how, so we may try to find a cheaper, quicker, way to bang out a few swivels. Also we are going to upgrade the rope swivel for a standard board as I have gotten use to that style of movement.
        Again thanks so much for the info and encouragement, I will post pics as I get them, this is a spring/summer project as it is still too cold for much outdoor training here in Vermont.
        As far as being competitive in price, I am guessing that if we even come close to your swivel in design/function/looks,etc I will be well over $150 with shop costs and materials, and that does not included the stuff in the scrap pile! Just a fun way to burn some time & money.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...