• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • a041895
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2012

Please help me troubleshoot poor bag speed response

Can someone please help me understand why I get such poor response from my 8"X5" bag? I overinflate and spent a fair chunk of money on the mount yet it seems like I have to hit it harder and still get little in terms of speed? I am new to the forum and really appreciate the insight.....looks like a whole lot of knowlendge within this group. Thank you! Johnnie
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by a041895 View Post
    Can someone please help me understand why I get such poor response from my 8"X5" bag? I overinflate and spent a fair chunk of money on the mount yet it seems like I have to hit it harder and still get little in terms of speed? I am new to the forum and really appreciate the insight.....looks like a whole lot of knowlendge within this group. Thank you! Johnnie

Hi Johnnie.

There are a couple of ways to figure this out. The truth is a "dead bag" could be caused by the board (setup), the bag or the swivel, and the only way to really tell is to do things to analyze each.

First consider you have a single vertical pole setup, and even with the weight on top it will have more sway and vibration that a dual vertical wall unit.

So, how to determine what is the problem. First, start with the bag. If you have overinflated a bit and it still feels slow, you can check that particular bag by taking it to at least one, or more, other boards (if you have access to them). If a bag is slow or dead on several boards and swivels, you can suspect it's the bag, but if it performs better off other boards or swivles, that may eliminate the bag as the source of your problem and then you can suspect the board set up or swivel.

Another way, get a couple of other bags, other brands and sizes, and try them on your board. If THEY are also dead, than maybe that says it's your board and/ or swivel.

I don't particularly like that long U swivel and the first thing I would do is change that out if it's not the bag. If you can, perhaps you could try that swivel on other boards with your bag. say you take your bag to another board, and it hits great (compared to your board) on that swivel, then you put up your swivel on this other board, and it hits dead. that tells you it might be the swivel. same board, same bag, different swivel. that will isolate the swivel.

If you change bags, and swivels, and your unit still hits "DEAD" with any bag or swivel, than its the setup, and vibration is probably killing the action. My own personal opinion would suspect that single pole setup, but it may be cheaper to start with the bag and try to isolate the issue. I doubt it is the "board" by itself, for I've rarely seen a board (wood etc) itself really ruin the rebound (...I did have a buddy who put carpeting on his board to deaden the sound, and it did - and really slowed the bag down)

Hope this helps get your bag back up to speed.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• a041895
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2012

Thanks

Thank you so muc....I'll let you know what I find out

Comment

• a041895
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Feb 2012

Swivel?

On the chance that it turns out to be the swivel, what do you receommend?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by a041895 View Post
          On the chance that it turns out to be the swivel, what do you receommend?
          Right now, probably TITLE Boxing Deluxe Pro Swivel or one similiar. Short barreled swivel.

My personal preference is a ballhook but there is currently no reliable or consistent source for decent ballhooks.

However, there are plans under design....
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Welcome Johnnie! I'm with Alan regarding the single-pole setup, as well as the U-bolt swivel being part of the issue. From the looks of the photos, you have placed the mounting brackets pretty low on the wall, causing you to extend the pole to its maximum height so you can punch on it.

I'm suspecting that the higher the pole is extended from where it is attached, the more sway (and lack of stability) you will have with every punch of the bag.

One way to see if this is a factor would be to maybe drop the platform down to the lowest notch in the pole and punch the bag. You'll probably have to punch while on your knees, but at least you can see if you have more stability. If so, then raise your wall supports 6-10 inches to eliminate extending the pole. (Frankly, I'm not a fan of adjustable platforms as they cannot give you the needed stability when punching.)

I also noticed that the bag hangs pretty low, and the farther away the bag is from the top of the drum, the longer to swing back and forth against the drum. Your U-bolt and its housing seems a little longer than, say, the S-hook on the plastic Everlast swivel. (In fact, Alan recently showed me a photo of 3 swivels, and all three were different lengths. His Everlast S-hook proved to have the shortest distance between the drum and the bottom of the hook, giving him the fastest rebound.

You don't say how long you've been bagging, but if you're relatively new at this, speed comes with practice and gaining control of the bag. It's all in Alan's Speed Bag Bible.

I've only been at this for a few years, but my partner has been building his own platform setups since the 60's and I have learned a lot from him.

Anyway, I hope this will be of some help... bag on!
            Last edited by MsDeville; 04-10-2012, 10:29 AM. Reason: typo
            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• dogtoke
              • Jun 2008

Isn't the Watkins ball hook in the loop any longer?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                Welcome Johnnie! I'm with Alan regarding the single-pole setup, as well as the U-bolt swivel being part of the issue. From the looks of the photos, you have placed the mounting brackets pretty low on the wall, causing you to extend the pole to its maximum height so you can punch on it.

I'm suspecting that the higher the pole is extended from where it is attached, the more sway (and lack of stability) you will have with every punch of the bag.

One way to see if this is a factor would be to maybe drop the platform down to the lowest notch in the pole and punch the bag. You'll probably have punch while on your knees, but at least you can see if you have more stability. If so, then raise your wall supports 6-10 inches to eliminate extending the pole. (Frankly, I'm not a fan of adjustable platforms as they cannot give you the needed stability when punching.)
                I also noticed that the bag hangs pretty low, and the farther away the bag is from the top of the drum, the longer to swing back and forth against the drum. Your U-bolt and its housing seems a little longer than, say, the S-hook on the plastic Everlast swivel. (In fact, Alan recently showed me a photo of 3 swivels, and all three were different lengths. His Everlast S-hook proved to have the shortest distance between the drum and the bottom of the hook, giving him the fastest rebound.

You don't say how long you've been bagging, but if you're relatively new at this, speed comes with practice and gaining control of the bag. It's all in Alan's Speed Bag Bible.

I've only been at this for a few years, but my partner has been building his own platform setups since the 60's and I have learned a lot from him.

Anyway, I hope this will be of some help... bag on!
                That's a great point, Dee. I didn't notice the settings on his pole, but having the bag way up above the point of wall connection could really be a factor that is adding vibration..ie killing the bag reponse. It stands to reason that if the single pole and board height were down almost parallel to the wall bracing that it would be more stable and less sway.

Your speed bag eyes are pretty sharp!
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  That's a great point, Dee. I didn't notice the settings on his pole, but having the bag way up above the point of wall connection could really be a factor that is adding vibration..ie killing the bag reponse. It stands to reason that if the single pole and board height were down almost parallel to the wall bracing that it would be more stable and less sway.

Your speed bag eyes are pretty sharp!
                  I just wish they were a little sharper when trying to find my car keys...
                  sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                  I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• CMP
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by dogtoke View Post
                    Isn't the Watkins ball hook in the loop any longer?
                    I ordered a Watkins ball hook about 2 weeks ago, the very next morning they called and said they had about 1000 on back order and had received a high number of "hits" (say 500) the very night I ordered mine??
                    Anyway they said March to May before they would have any in stock. Next time I will call first to see if they have any on hand before ordering. I would think if they where that far behind they would remove the item from their website but hey that is just me...
                    Right know the only ball hook I can find is the cheap stamped steel from Title or TKO and the Everlast Plastic type.
                    Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.......Bruce Lee

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by CMP View Post
                      I ordered a Watkins ball hook about 2 weeks ago, the very next morning they called and said they had about 1000 on back order and had received a high number of "hits" (say 500) the very night I ordered mine??
                      Anyway they said March to May before they would have any in stock. Next time I will call first to see if they have any on hand before ordering. I would think if they where that far behind they would remove the item from their website but hey that is just me...
                      Right know the only ball hook I can find is the cheap stamped steel from Title or TKO and the Everlast Plastic type.
                      They have said that for almost 2 years now. Sorry to say but...You'll get a ballhook on ebay much faster without the excuses.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• southtexaskevin
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by CMP View Post
                        Well that just ruined my night haha.... I'm joking, but I did have hopes of ordering one, thank you for sharing that before I put the money on one, guess the plastic everlast is my last option....

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...