• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prism
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2012

Heavy Bag mounting

Hey all,

As you can probably tell by my post count I'm a brand new member, so I don't know if heavy bag talk is kosher in here, but I figured I'd give it a shot

I have this bag (100 lb model) mounted on my back patio and after a particularly emotional bout earlier this evening, one of the 4 support straps leading to the chain broke. I don't know if I'm hitting it "wrong," but oftentimes if I land a heavy low uppercut or hook, the back side of the bag will shoot up and then drop down hard, which is what I suspect broke it. I followed the advice I read on the interwebs and mounted it so that my chest is lined up to about 3/4 of the way to the top of the bag.

Should I invest in a new bag that uses chains instead of the canvas support straps that lead to the main hanging chain, or should I reevaluate my punching form? I was in Tae Kwon Do for a few years about 10 years ago, so I think I have good form, but I dunno....I'm 265 lbs and I like to think I throw pretty solid punches, if that changes anything

Thanks for any and all input!
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Prism View Post
    Hey all,

As you can probably tell by my post count I'm a brand new member, so I don't know if heavy bag talk is kosher in here, but I figured I'd give it a shot

I have this bag (100 lb model) mounted on my back patio and after a particularly emotional bout earlier this evening, one of the 4 support straps leading to the chain broke. I don't know if I'm hitting it "wrong," but oftentimes if I land a heavy low uppercut or hook, the back side of the bag will shoot up and then drop down hard, which is what I suspect broke it. I followed the advice I read on the interwebs and mounted it so that my chest is lined up to about 3/4 of the way to the top of the bag.

Should I invest in a new bag that uses chains instead of the canvas support straps that lead to the main hanging chain, or should I reevaluate my punching form? I was in Tae Kwon Do for a few years about 10 years ago, so I think I have good form, but I dunno....I'm 265 lbs and I like to think I throw pretty solid punches, if that changes anything

Thanks for any and all input!
    HI Prism, Welcome to the forum.

Normally Heavy Bag topics are covered in the "non-speedbag" forum area, under Heavy Bags & Double End Bags (at the bottom of the main forum page) but your new, and 265 lbs, ..... so - you can pretty much post it here if you want to, Mr. Prism

So, I would wonder where your canvas support strap broke, did it rip off by the top chain, or rip off the bag part?

I could never hit a heavy bag hard enough to get the reaction you speak of, and I suspect the part that ripped was the weakest link in the support system. All of my heavy bags have had the four chain supports, not canvas straps, and none ever ripped off. The action you describe of the bag "shooting up and dropping down" has occured on me when kicking and I suspect that is a normal reaction to the force and inward direction of the blow, so I don't think you are hitting it wrong. I wouldn't go into the deep well of changing your normal punching form or unlearning your present method without a knowledgeable eye to watch you and see if there is any form problem. Just the reaction of the Heavy bag is not really enough to tell that, so if you still have some connections with knowledgeable people to watch you work the bag and move, observe your punching and know what they are looking at, that might be your best route for that.

But for the bag, if one of the main straps is now broke and cannot be repaired, you will probably need a new bag because I don't know how you can replace or repair the canvas strap if it ripped completely off at the top or bottom. I have always used bags with the four chains and attached ring loops to the top of the bag, and never known one to rip from contact. They will all eventually get weak and rot if they are left outside in weather.

Not sure this helps but we do have some big powerful heavy hitters in here that may have more insight on heavy bags.

Good luck and I hope you can find a workable arrangement.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• southtexaskevin
      • Jan 2012

If the bag is fairly new, I would.contact everlast about it, or take it back to where you bought it if you purchased it from a sporting goods store. With the name "nevatear" seems to me the bag should never tear.....

Comment

• Prism
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Feb 2012

Wow, leave it to me to miss the Heavy Bag subforum!!

Thanks for all the input guys; I'm gonna try getting it replaced at the Sports Authority I bought it from. If that's a no-go, can anyone recommend a good, durable bag that's at least 100 lbs around $100-150? I'm willing to spend a little more if necessary.

I'd love to get a Lonsdale Colossus, but that's waaay out of my price-range...

EDIT: I do have it hanging out on a back patio, and although it is mostly shaded, it's also in the Arizona heat and it's been out there for about half a year...however, I wouldn't imagine that canvas would be affected by the heat, would it?

Comment

• CMP
          • Jan 2012

Hello,
          Any bag worth the money will have chains on the top, also using a spring between the chains and the "mount" will help the bag recover when it moves up and slams down. I personally like the Title Leather Heavy bags but they are expensive and they will not last outside. The Century "Water Filled" bags are a very heavy vinyl and they hold up well outdoors, as they have foam and the water bladder inside. Don't buy standard Everlast bags for outdoor use as they are filled with old T-Shirt rags and plastic bags of sand! Once wet these bags are shot and they will never dry out.
          The freestanding bags hold up well outside as do the Century B.O.B's but they will rattle your deck really bad and are best used on grass. Any bag that I have used that had a "tie down" on the bottom made of webbing has always broken over time.
          I have a hanging Century water filled bag, 2 Century Free Standing Bags and a B.O.B and they have all held up very well for spring/summer/fall use here in Vermont.
          The chain/spring combo has worked well in the Martial Arts school that I teach at, if it can take a 225lbs guy doing a flying side kick thousands of times it should hold up to your punching...if not you should be a pro boxer
          Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.......Bruce Lee

Comment

• CMP
            • Jan 2012

Century was one of the first water filled bags on the market and they tend to use high quality vinyls on there bags as well as good quality chains. I have not used any of the other brands as these have held up well for my use. You can beat the snot out of them and you can feel the shock wave go through the bag on a good strike. The foam which surrounds the bag is thick say 1.5" so it has a soft feel to it but is still " heavy". I don't like a hard heavy bag because it does not feel real to me, if I want to condition my hands I hit steel/rock/wood " hard style". As with all companies and the economy they are probably making cheaper products and I don't think all their stuff is all USA made any more but they have served me well in the past.
            Don't concentrate on the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.......Bruce Lee

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by CMP View Post
              ....The freestanding bags hold up well outside as do the Century B.O.B's but they will rattle your deck really bad and are best used on grass.
              I thought about getting a B.O.B for my backyard but I heard that they constantly want to come in and use the bathroom.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Prism
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Feb 2012

I refuse to buy a B.O.B., those are just too freaky

As disappointed as I was with my Everlast heavy bag and speedbag durability, I must admit that my customer service experience thus far has been pretty excellent. My call was quickly answered by a very nice, very southern-USA-sounding lady who gave me instructions to email her details of my purchase along with a copy of my receipt, and said that pending an approval of my claim I should receive a replacement bag within 7-10 days. FYI their warranty is good for 1 year from date of purchase (purchase date was Feb 22 last year, woohoo!).

As long as the rest of the process goes this smoothly, I'll be happy with their customer service, if not the quality of their consumer-grade products. Now I just need to find some other kind of hard object to hit in the meantime...

Comment

• CMP
                  • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                  I thought about getting a B.O.B for my backyard but I heard that they constantly want to come in and use the bathroom.

If you put a hat and a jacket on him he freaks everybody out, tons of fun at Halloween!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...