• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Spam attack

We're under a sustained spam attack.

All new user registration is going to be manually approved for next 2 weeks.

Sorry for the delay, but this is the only way to deal with this!

Tim
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

I hear you,the site that I helped admin went through one so severe that it essentially killed the forum and photo section of it in short order. The sites owner gave up on it, although myself and another one of the admins have the photo files.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      I hear you,the site that I helped admin went through one so severe that it essentially killed the forum and photo section of it in short order. The sites owner gave up on it, although myself and another one of the admins have the photo files.
      Some people just like the world burn, and ruin everything.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• jrgalioto
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Mar 2018

I'm also a member of the starting strength forums. They actually have a short quiz that you must take before being admitted.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

• BagBoy
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2018

Almost one new member everyday, not all are spammers but they never ever post. I just don't get that.
          Last edited by BagBoy; 04-12-2018, 04:26 PM. Reason: Zpelling
          Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

I lurked for a while, before I made my first post. Some people may be hanging back just checking out what goes on here. They are more than welcome to just say "hi", and sit back and soak it in before contributing. Questions are always welcomed, as we all are teachers and students here.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
              Almost one new member everyday, not all are spammers but they never ever post. I just don't get that.
              I just approved a week's worth of new users - more than half were spammers.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by jrgalioto View Post
                I'm also a member of the starting strength forums. They actually have a short quiz that you must take before being admitted.

This software is so old it doesn't have the features of the newer versions. It's a non-trivial $ and time investment to upgrade to the newer version.

I think most of the regulars are pretty comfortable with the forum "as-is" - but at some point we're gonna have to upgrade...

Comment

• BagBoy
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  but at some point we're gonna have to upgrade...
                  When I started my board I used websitetoolbox.com It was pretty good and was very easy on the wallet compared to the others. Good templates too. If I recall, the security options were pretty darn good. Captcha's and many other options.

Unfortunately once the spammer floodgates are open things can.. escalate from there rather quickly. Doesn't mean it WILL happen here, hope not. Either way I'm sure all contributing members will follow you over.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• jrgalioto
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Mar 2018

When I started my board I used websitetoolbox.com It was pretty good and was very easy on the wallet compared to the others. Good templates too. If I recall, the security options were pretty darn good. Captcha's and many other options.

Unfortunately once the spammer floodgates are open things can.. escalate from there rather quickly. Doesn't mean it WILL happen here, hope not. Either way I'm sure all contributing members will follow you over.
                    Does the posting within 7 days rule for new members help?

Comment

• BagBoy
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2018

Originally posted by jrgalioto View Post
                      Does the posting within 7 days rule for new members help?

It had that option, yes. What I did was pm every new member, welcoming them and letting them know that they had a week. It worked half the time and sometimes the new member would never post, at all. I knew whether or not they were robots or spammers usually because of the name they would choose. I also checked their IP and email address. Regular looking email address's like JohnR@yahoo etc were just normal folks, maybe they would post, maybe they wouldn't. Robots always hade names like, yulquiplet < that was one of them. Either way, my member list grew so I liked that

Sorry for the filibuster

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

The main issue with $$$$ is that we have 12 years of historical posting that we ARE NOT going to lose... so the only real option is to upgrade to the newest VBulletin software...

Comment

• BagBoy
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          The main issue with $$$$ is that we have 12 years of historical posting that we ARE NOT going to lose... so the only real option is to upgrade to the newest VBulletin software...
                          VBulliten is one of the high end message board hosts. If it came down to an upgrade you could put up a donation button. I'd be happy to chip in.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• LurchHenry
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Mar 2018

"If it came down to an upgrade you could put up a donation button. I'd be happy to chip in."

Same here, man. Same here.

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

VBulliten is one of the high end message board hosts. If it came down to an upgrade you could put up a donation button. I'd be happy to chip in.

Originally posted by LurchHenry View Post
                              "If it came down to an upgrade you could put up a donation button. I'd be happy to chip in."

Same here, man. Same here.

Actually, a donation button is a brilliant idea. Besides helping host forum costs, it might motivate a Bagger to stay active longer.

We've soooooo many really great folks come...and go. I know that's life, but it's nice when they hang around longer.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...