X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tjgonz
    • Dec 2011

Everlast no.4212 & unknown swivel?

I recently purchased this, was just wondering if anyone can identify this swivel for me? I really wanted a steel ball swivel so hoping I can clean this one up and use it daily & save the bag for a more vintage setup in the future. Thanks!

• ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

Cool find that Bag, and Swiv TJ.

I'm thinking with a little cleaning, a little oil, and a lot of bagging, the ball, and the housing of that swivel will be working smoothly together again. If the ball is too rough you can always find a ball on amazon (i've seen brass in that size there), tap the correct threads in it (1/4 20), and maybe use the eyelet from an everlast carabiner swivel. You could even use the plastic ball,eyelet, and carabiner from the carabiner swiv,(skunky style) you'll still get the cool click itty clank sound.
    Last edited by ebozyn; 01-30-2012, 05:23 PM.

Comment

• tjgonz
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
      Cool find that Bag, and Swiv TJ.

I'm thinking with a little cleaning, a little oil, and a lot of bagging, the ball, and the housing of that swivel will be working smoothly together again.
      Thanks ebozyn, I paid $35 for both..a steal I figured since I couldn't find a metal ball swiv for that. I saw the bag on a list Alan posted in another thread & thought it looked beautiful. Supposedly it's in good working condition! I'll let you know how it works out, should have em by next week

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by tjgonz View Post
        I recently purchased this, was just wondering if anyone can identify this swivel for me? I really wanted a steel ball swivel so hoping I can clean this one up and use it daily & save the bag for a more vintage setup in the future. Thanks!

That swivel housing (holds the ball) looks really beat to crap, in fact, it has started to flange up all around - so this swivel has been used A LOT. Look close at the eye-shank just where it goes into the ball and you can see the little contact groove that has been cut into the eye shank. I have several like that. Been on the front lines for a while...

I'm gonna take a guess and say that was on great swivel in it's day and may rehab pretty well.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

Off hand I'd say it is a early TufWear. They looked very much like the Everlast ones, even to the point where they would interchange with each others mounting flanges. It looks like the eye shank has lost at least an 1/8".
          Last edited by Dutchman; 01-30-2012, 08:52 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            Off hand I'd say it is a early TufWear. They looked very much like the Everlast ones, even to the point where they would interchange with each others mounting flanges. It looks like the eye shank has lost at least an 1/8".

Yea, at least. I've had a few like that and It took a lot of use to do that. Those older eye-shanks were solid.

then newer ones in the last everlast ballhooks I got beat down much faster. Both the flange of the housing and the eye-shank. Too soft.

I think Tjgonz has a great swivel and hope it cleans up well enough to use. My only fear would be the width of the housing spread. I have one like that with the lip beat so bad the ball hangs down and the eye-shank has a longer travel.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• tjgonz
              • Dec 2011

The bag & swivel arrived today, very accurate to the listing pics.
              I was not prepared for the size of this bag though lol..I'll just say, "I think we'll need a bigger boat" as for as my platform is concerned . Regardless I really love it, I think it has character and the bladder seems to be holding air well.

Here it is compared to my other "6x9" bags..

The swivel arrived in better shape than I expected & raised my bags up considerably which was nice.

After a whole lotta love it's looking pretty sweet!

It was fun playing with a swivel I could actually get all the way inside & apart.

You can see how much longer my Pro Title swivel its..

Overall Its very smooth, I did a small coat of chain wax on the ball. The clicking noise is really different than I expected..I'm not sure if I like it or it's messing with my concentration, as I'm so used to just hearing the ball bounce. Very happy with them though

Comment

• southtexaskevin
                • Jan 2012

Looks.like.you found.yourself a gem... I have been searchung pawn shops, goodwills, Craigslist and antique shops for a metal ball hook, but no luck..... I'm thinking the plastic everlast is going to have to do Untill one surfaces......

Comment

• tjgonz
                  • Dec 2011

Originally posted by southtexaskevin View Post
                  Looks.like.you found.yourself a gem... I have been searchung pawn shops, goodwills, Craigslist and antique shops for a metal ball hook, but no luck..... I'm thinking the plastic everlast is going to have to do Untill one surfaces......
                  Thanks Kev! Only problem is the clicking..I had my setup just perfect for the house so no one is bothered. I'm thinking I might have to part with it soon. You'll be the first on my list if I do bro.

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

...Only problem is the clicking...
                    I mounted a ball hook with rubber grommets between the base of the swivel and the platform drum, one at each screw hole. This quieted the swivel quite a bit. The underside of the swivel base is 1/8th inch away from the wooden drum now.

You could also tie the bag to the swivel's eye hook with a shoelace or with cable tie to quiet the action down. The ball hook swivel is the one true path -- well, for some of us.

Comment

• southtexaskevin
                      • Jan 2012

Thanks Kev! Only problem is the clicking..I had my setup just perfect for the house so no one is bothered. I'm thinking I might have to part with it soon. You'll be the first on my list if I do bro.
                      As great as that sounds, DONT DO IT haha.... Like parandy said, im sure there is a way to get rid of some of that noise, and even if you cant, you never know, down the road you might get an outdoor setup and wish you had that swivel..... But I appriciate it, and if you DO decide to part ways, I will pay for the piece and shipping. Buy I'm sure I will come across one sooner or later. Enjoy that swivel.

Comment

• southtexaskevin
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                        The ball hook swivel is the one true path -- well, for some of us.
                        Although I don't have one.... I'm a believer

Comment

• Dutchman
                          Speed Bag Historian
                          • Jun 2006

The swivel cleaned really well, not as much wear to the eye shank as what it appeared in the sellers pics. Oh and that bag, got to get one to add to my collection!

Comment

• tjgonz
                            • Dec 2011

Well its official I'm in love
                            I've never been able to do spins on the little bags with a standard swivel!!!
                            BTW those aren't misses..thats the recoil from the bag breaking my wrists : P
                            Sorry for the quality..but not bad for metro pcs lol.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

The bag & swivel arrived today, very accurate to the listing pics.
                              I was not prepared for the size of this bag though lol..I'll just say, "I think we'll need a bigger boat" as for as my platform is concerned .

The swivel arrived in better shape than I expected & raised my bags up considerably which was nice.

After a whole lotta love it's looking pretty sweet!

It was fun playing with a swivel I could actually get all the way inside & apart.

You can see how much longer my Pro Title swivel its..

Overall Its very smooth, I did a small coat of chain wax on the ball. The clicking noise is really different than I expected..I'm not sure if I like it or it's messing with my concentration, as I'm so used to just hearing the ball bounce. Very happy with them though
                              Man that swivel housing is beat down big time. Look how far the ball protudes down through the hole. I also notice the bottom of the ball is more beveled to a point than their last metal ball, which were flat across the top and bottom (see pic below).

That is probably a seriously good swivel, with quality long gone from the evelast line of swivels.

What size allen wrench did you need for the set screw in that ball?
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Speedbag; 02-09-2012, 09:43 PM.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...