• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bilrus
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2010

Heavy bag sliding on I-Beam

I have hung a 100 lb heavy bag from an 4.5 inch I-beam in my basement using this - http://www.ringside.com/Steel-I-Beam...uctinfo/HBH+1/ I've also tried this one - http://store.titleboxing.com/hbh-2.html.

The problem I am having is that whenever I throw a punch that isn't perpendicular to the beam, the bag (and mounting hardware) slide along the beam - a hard hook will move it a foot or two.

I'm hesitant to attach it to the wood joists as we had a few cracked joists when we bought the house, this is a pretty heavy bag and I am a big guy with a pretty hard punch.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to secure this?
  • Kyle
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2006

the only thing i cant think of is putting something like a bolt threw the beam to prevent it from moving. im no structural engineer either so i don't know what that will do to the i-beam. sorry if that doesn't help but thats all i got for this problem

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

There are a few possible solutions to your problem. You can drill and tap holes in the underside halfs of the brackets and insert set screws that will bite into the beam. The other possilbility is to just put a clamp on either side of the bracket to help keep it in place. Machinest clamps would be the best, but they can be pricey, and regular "C" clamps may spend more time on the floor than on the beam. You may be better off just putting two of the bag I beam hangers on either side of the existing one.

Comment

• USMCBay
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Dec 2009

Can you post a couple of photos of your setup?

Comment

• bilrus
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by USMCBay View Post
          Can you post a couple of photos of your setup?
          Sure - I'll give it a shot.

I tried c-clamps but the first hard punch moved them about 6 inches.

The wife put the "clamps" on the idea of drinning through the I-Beam itself.

At least I'm getting a workout trying to hang the SOB.

Comment

• poppabrutus
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Oct 2009

Is this necessarily a bad thing? Are you worried it will cause damage by sliding? Forgive me if I am missing your point. Could you use the movement as part of your workout, e.g. the movement could represent an opponent's movement?

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...