• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Vintage Platform Saved...

Yes folks, thanks to Speedbagforum member Paranday....yet another Vintage Speed Bag Platform has been saved!

I was contacted by Paranday about a link he came across on Craigslist in Bennington, VT. Knowing that I'm in the Albany, NY area...he passed it along to me.

I phone call later, a deal was cut and I was on my way to Bennington (about an hour away from me) today for the pick up. The owner had the platform for a few years, just setting in a storage shed. He had bought it from a guy who said it came out of a gym in NYC...that is all the background I have. I'm counting on Paranday & Dutchman to tell me more about the age of this one!

It is the same size and design as my 1917 Spalding...big & heavy, but only has the rebound ring instead (also 36" across) of a solid wood platform which makes me think it is a bit older. Here's the original listing text:

"1896 vintage boxing speed bag rack (bennington,vt)
    very rare boxing speed bag rack?? could be called something different?? dates back to 1896 ,,originated out of a old gym in NYC,,,who knows what famous boxer could have used it,, add a vintage speedbag to it to finish the piece,, great for a mancave ,,bar room,, or a boxing fanatic,, one of a kind , in great shape and complete working order,, all the wood is in great shape for the age."

This is in great shape and all the parts work well (the leavers that adjust the height). The ring has a few nicks, but still in great shape.

I don't know where I'm going to mount this one...or when...but at least we know a little piece of history will remain for generations to come...the addiction continues!

-Zaza
    Attached Files
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com
  • StevieMac
    • Oct 2010

Super cool!

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Am always nervous until it is safely home and truly yours, so this is great news. I'm sure you'll find a place at your place that needs a platform. Skunk had twin platforms in his bedroom if I recall...

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Originally posted by paranday View Post
        Am always nervous until it is safely home and truly yours, so this is great news. I'm sure you'll find a place at your place that needs a platform. Skunk had twin platforms in his bedroom if I recall...
        This is another BIG platform...not those little things Skunk has!

Comment

• Zaza
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz
          Have you tried out the platform yet, I was wondering if a drum can be attached to it ?
          I have not... been fighting a serious cold. I really don't have anywhere to mount it until I can get the car out of the garage! I just didn't want to see this piece of history get lost in time.

It is just like the one I have up on the garage wall now....and yes, you could put a solid platform on it, no problem.

I have to try to get this in the basement so I can clean it up and look for any marking on it. Somehow the guy I bought it from said it dates back to 1896...I'd like to know if that's true.

I'll post more about it this spring...it's coming.... I hope!

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I have Never seen a rebound ring that big. Must have been for a Giant speed bag!
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ventanakaz

Whatever happened to this Platform ???
              I still have it in the basement...maybe it will be for sale soon... just don't know what to do with it right now!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...