• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • spinsmashpop
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

'round the world kangaroo roll!

I had tried this in The Speed Bag Truck a few times and couldn't go around a full 360'. But close enough to know I could do it. Is that how cliff divers look at it? haha....
    Looked at the bag today, grabbed the camera and went for it ... take 2....
    Below is what is in youtube's text....

Gettin' Bagified! A little bit of a challenge gettin' around the backside of the platform and keeping the Kangaroo Roll together! BTW, I thought my "Fist Roll With Elbows" was kind of original. But that only proves that I am new! Billy Mack was hitting that combo years ago. I just came across the clip. You gotta watch some of his clips. Very original. But I haven't seen this one yet. Not that it doesn't exist or hasn't been done. I just haven't seen an "Around The World Kangaroo Roll" ! It's all in the name! YEAH! BAG ON!

• Roc Stone
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2007

Like how you followed the earths axis. I guess its better than a hit in the head from your SB when passing through the platform mounting brackets and the swivel.

How's your SDP going?
    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
      I had tried this in The Speed Bag Truck a few times and couldn't go around a full 360'. But close enough to know I could do it. Is that how cliff divers look at it? haha....
      Looked at the bag today, grabbed the camera and went for it ... take 2....
      Below is what is in youtube's text....
      Very nice. Tight fit on the far side there, but you made it. Is that a bag of dog food or something on top?

Gettin' Bagified! A little bit of a challenge gettin' around the backside of the platform and keeping the Kangaroo Roll together! BTW, I thought my "Fist Roll With Elbows" was kind of original. But that only proves that I am new! Billy Mack was hitting that combo years ago. I just came across the clip.
      Yep, in a lot of ways, there's nothing new under the sun. Heck, did you see those video clips on youtube from the 30s and 40s, hitting with feet, etc. (I think those were up for a limited time only)

Comment

• spinsmashpop
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
        Like how you followed the earths axis. I guess its better than a hit in the head from your SB when passing through the platform mounting brackets and the swivel.

How's your SDP going?
        Roc....
        I love SDP's! Shall I post a clip of some attempted SDP madness!

Originally posted by Tim View Post
        Very nice. Tight fit on the far side there, but you made it. Is that a bag of dog food or something on top?
        Yep, in a lot of ways, there's nothing new under the sun. Heck, did you see those video clips on youtube from the 30s and 40s, hitting with feet, etc. (I think those were up for a limited time only)
        Yeah, that's dogfood. I always seem to have enough of an extra bag where it helps with the shakes!
        I never saw those clips but would love to!
        BAG ON!

Comment

• The Baggist
          Vert Baggin' Master
          • May 2009

GREAT STUFF SSP!!!!! By the way did you know KANGAROOS make the BEST speed bags?!?!?!?!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by The Baggist View Post
            GREAT STUFF SSP!!!!! By the way did you know KANGAROOS make the BEST speed bags?!?!?!?!
            Ok, details - where did you get that and what vintage is it? I don't think they make them any longer? Everlast doesn't at least, as far as I know.

And is that the prime fighter model 400 platform you have? Nice. I need an adjustable platform and that's the one I've had my eye on for quite some time.

Comment

• The Baggist
              Vert Baggin' Master
              • May 2009

Ok, details - where did you get that and what vintage is it? I don't think they make them any longer? Everlast doesn't at least, as far as I know.
              Hello Tim, I was lucky enough to snag that off of ebay for under $10 with shipping. It's very fast and responsive,(just something about that kangaroo leather). I believe these pics should help date it. I would also love to know more about it.
              And is that the prime fighter model 400 platform you have? Nice. I need an adjustable platform and that's the one I've had my eye on for quite some time.
              Yeah Tim the 400 is a GREAT platform! The adjustability is second to none. It can go low enough for kids and high enough for you 6' and above fellas. The only minor issue is occasionally it generates a faint(residual hum). I believe I've narrowed it down to the cable that holds the weight. It reacts somewhat like a giant bass guitar string but very faint.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I also saw those bags long ago.

the only place I've seen online advertising kangaroo bags is the glove doctor in Brooklyn NY. But there is no order form anywhere I can find on the site and when I emailed him some time ago they "weren't making them right now..".
                It's run by the grandson of the Jacob J. Golomb, the man that started Everlast Boxing

I'm contacting them again to see whats up.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Hello Tim, I was lucky enough to snag that off of ebay for under $10 with shipping. It's very fast and responsive,(just something about that kangaroo leather). I believe these pics should help date it. I would also love to know more about it.

Yeah Tim the 400 is a GREAT platform! The adjustability is second to none. It can go low enough for kids and high enough for you 6' and above fellas. The only minor issue is occasionally it generates a faint(residual hum). I believe I've narrowed it down to the cable that holds the weight. It reacts somewhat like a giant bass guitar string but very faint.
                  Man that color pic of Ali is killer!

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Man that color pic of Ali is killer!
                    Oh yeah, this thread has gotten off the Kangaroo Roll. Has anyone tried this?
                    And just wait for the "Caffeine Roll"..... YEAH!

See... any Fist Roll is a Roll. Any rolling that I know of on a speed bag is with the fists, (of course taking exception to Skunk's insane Elbow Roll...but see, it's still a roll, but by naming it Elbow Roll, we all know it's not with the fists).
                    Well, I love the names of all this stuff, (especially the Swiv!), and this Caffeine Roll is gonna take some practice but will put an even wackier twist on the Kangaroo Roll.....!!!!

Here's to Kik Liks, Mirrors, Chasers, Kangaroos, Swivs, and Caffeine!
                    BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Oh yeah, this thread has gotten off the Kangaroo Roll. Has anyone tried this?.....BAG ON!
                      Actually, in all honesty I've seen that done lots of times.
                      Especially in gyms where there is a much larger speed bag unit like the older Professional screw adustment wall units with a large 36inch board, which gives more clearance on the wall side. Front Fist Rolling is usually one of the fastest and easiest techniques to learn and people would start walking around in a circle under the board.

It's harder to do on a smaller wall unit with a 24 inch board.
                      Last edited by Speedbag; 05-23-2009, 05:51 PM.
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2007

"I love SDP's! Shall I post a clip of some attempted SDP madness!"

Why not!?!?
                        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Way cool. I've always heard good things about kangaroo bags.

I definitely see a model 400 somewhere in my future. Interesting about the hum, for what it's worth, my board hums under certain conditions. It's not bad, it's actually nice because it tells me when I'm hitting consistently.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Oh yeah, this thread has gotten off the Kangaroo Roll. Has anyone tried this?

This was harder than I thought it would be. I don't often fist roll that long so it was a pretty good forearm workout (took multiple takes also).

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

This was harder than I thought it would be. I don't often fist roll that long so it was a pretty good forearm workout (took multiple takes also).
                              Geez, that looks like a "basketball bag". That is one short little fatty you got there. What size is it? ( 8x5 or smaller?)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1. Now just for grins, reverse the Fist Roll and do it with a Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll). Walk around the board doing a R-Roll.

2. Try changing the F-Roll -to- R-Roll in mid stream. You can actually "walk your hands around the bag" from a F-Roll to R-Roll by connecting them with the Side Single Punch (SSP). There are actually a lot of ways to explain this, depending on your skill level and understanding of the Speed bag terminology and your understanding of the fist orders of contact.

here's one way. First, Think about the "last fist" of a F-Roll actually being a SSP.

F-Roll.....R-L-R-L ' R-SSP. (this is a very quick, subtle move with mostly wrist motion and little arm movement. If the arm moves, think about dragging the Side fist (Right) across the face. Think about it and you will also see that the last two fist contacts (front-side) are actually a Side Double Punch. (SDP).

Second, think about that Side Single Punch (SSP) being the first punch of the Reverse Fist Roll. (R-Roll). This works nicely, for remember, there is actually a Side-Reverse Double Punch (S-RDP) technique. That is all you are doing. the combo Looks like this:

R-SSP ' (R-Roll)...L-R-L-R...

Put it all together and you have:

F-Roll ' SSP ' R-Roll. The "Rolling" sound never changes for the single rebound beat stays the same, but it is a really cool visual, for your Rolling quickly changes sides with no sound variation. The un-informed will not pick up the SSP, and will think you went from F-Roll ' R-Roll, (especially if your SSP contact hits the side-rear panel of the bag)

A quickie Practice combo to learn this will break the Fist Rolling techniques down to their last two fist contacts, making each a double punch

FDP ' SSP ' RDP.

This combo "rolls your fists around" from the front of the bag to the back, using the SSP as the connection. The keys are: the lead fist of the FDP breaks off to the side for the SSP, and the second fist of the FDP goes through to lead the RDP. After you get this five punch combo, simply extend the FDP or RDP by several punches, making the fist rolls.

When you examine the exact fist contacts in the above combo you will see it includes (1) FDP (2) SDP (3) S-RDP and (4) RDP all in the same combo. At this level of writing combinations you will find various ways to convey the same combo, with some unwritten techniques occuring.

These are small wrist movements but this takes good control of the Front and Reverse Rolling motions. If you can link front, back and sides pretty well, and your fist rolling is pretty good both ways, you will probably pick this up pretty quick. I think SpinSmashPop got it
                              (F-Roll ' SSP ' R-Roll) on the third or fourth try. ( in the "Truck" during Dallas stop).
                              Last edited by Speedbag; 05-24-2009, 09:45 PM.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...