Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Off Topic

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Off Topic Everything else!

Old 12-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

tomk is on a distinguished road
swivel

Hi I am just getting back into bagging and am wondering which is regarded as the best and fastest swivel ? Thanks Tomk
Old 12-04-2013, 12:31 AM
Speed Bag Guru

swfl is on a distinguished road
Hello Tomk and welcome to the forum. In regards to swivels... The fastest is probably the ubolt type. However this type will have limitations. In my opionion you should go for a ball hook of sorts. It may be called a speed bag but it is really about control. Ms. DeVille sells a great swivel and can be found here on the forum. A quality ball hook will allow you to do any type of hitting you desire. Enjoy!
Old 12-04-2013, 01:32 AM
Speed Bag Guru

ventanakaz is on a distinguished road
I have to agree with swfl, imo the u-bolt is the fastest. I've hit on the chainlink for many years and the first time I hit on the U-bolt was when I joined this forum and got back into bagging, my first swivel I ever hit was a ballhook when I was a teenager. So the u-bolt. the fastest, yes. but as the best it would be a good ballhook swivel, just because you can hit the bag from all angles without it binding up...ralph

Last edited by ventanakaz; 12-04-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:45 PM

MsDeville is on a distinguished road
Welcome to the forum

If you're into basic boxing-style speed bagging (hitting front and back only), and if you just want to hit it as fast and as long as possible, then I would agree that a u-bolt might be the fastest. With that said, you can also get a ball-hook to go pretty fast, and it's probably going to be a more satisfying workout in the long run.

Here's an example of a burst of speed on a Deville No.13 (older version) ball-hook and the white Fighting Sports speed bag (which can be kind of a "dead" bag that takes a lot of power and technique to make it go fast, imo):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5roRXfNBZc

And, here is SpeedBagSkunk at the annual convention in NJ. He's punching on SpdyTommyT's custom-made ball-hook swivel with a BELL ATTACHED, and he's still lightning quick on the ball-hook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQm2xmaPBwM

And then, there is SpeedBagAtaraxis, who is insanely fast on a ball-hook swivel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWMF3t0Vg1Q

I hand-build and supply the Deville ball-hook swivel to several gyms around the country and also to correctional facilities. The most common remark from them is that the Deville swivel has been the only swivel to hold up to the demands of their users at these facilities. So, durability is something to take into consideration when deciding on a swivel.

There are two members on the forum who build and sell ball-hook swivels. Myself (devilleswivels@gmail.com), and the all-metal Powermill Evil Swivel made by "Jumpcannon." (evilswivel@yahoo.com).

Most seasoned baggers choose the ball-hook, but here is a sample of what Adam Salomon (speedbagscissorhands) can do on a u-bolt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zPsMg3TyPo

If you decide to go with a u-bolt style swivel, there are several models of u-bolts on the market. But beware. Many are made with cheap metal and parts, causing them to rattle and eventually break and fall apart. They also limit one's ability to hit from all around the bag. If you just want to hit the bag as fast as you can for long periods of time, then you might want to go with a u-bolt or chain-link.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:25 PM
Speed Bag Guru

BagBoy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Looking back through some of these pages/threads and came across this one. These are some GREAT videos posted by Ms. Deville. I am always pleasantly surprised when I dig deep into the forum pages. Or, maybe I shouldn't be surprised at all.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Speed Bag Guru

rdshackleford is on a distinguished road
Odd this thread is in "Off Topic". Seems pretty on topic.

Too bad we missed the golden age of speed bagging. Will there be another?
Old 01-04-2019, 12:52 AM
Speed Bag Guru

BagBoy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdshackleford View Post
Odd this thread is in "Off Topic". Seems pretty on topic.

Too bad we missed the golden age of speed bagging. Will there be another?
Yes, I agree it's extremely on topic.

Will there be another golden age or heyday? How does one top what we see in those videos? Spiderman can't even do what those guys are doing. Unless you're question is whether or not this addiction/skill becomes mainstream enough that it's being taught in gyms everywhere? I doubt that will happen, but there are many of us out here practicing our asses off and that most definitely stands for something. Yes?

For what it's worth, I'm doing things that I couldn't have even comprehended doing when I started ten months ago. Heck, when I joined this forum I thought Speed Bag was one word.

Apologies for the short filibuster but I wish more people knew about this.

Last edited by BagBoy; 01-04-2019 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:05 AM

Cazbag is on a distinguished road
Golden Age

I don't think we missed the "golden age" we just got a later start. It's not as if those videos are from a generation long ago. Hopefully alot of the legends will make it to speed bag X. Hell look at the awesome equipment (Arc, SS version of evil swivel, Perlious, etc....)that has been introduced this last year or so. Surely that is reason enough to say the golden age has not expired??
Old 01-04-2019, 04:33 PM
Speed Bag Guru

rdshackleford is on a distinguished road
One measure we can use is the stats on the main forum page. This is the first time I noticed the most ever users online was recent and since I joined.

"Most users ever online was 509, 10-29-2018 at 01:06 AM"
Old 01-04-2019, 06:01 PM

Cazbag is on a distinguished road
I remember noticing that the end of October. The previous date was quite some time back. Pretty impressive achievement really.