• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MARTHA1
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2013

Evander holyfield

It's not often we are in the presence of greatness! but, I will be tomorrow as I am meeting one of my all-time sporting heroes 5 time world heavyweight champion evander holyfield...He's over here in the uk on a speaking tour & one of my friends who is a promoter is running the event..can't wait for this one!!! pics to follow soon!!! Here is the pic as promised folks..The legend that is EVANDER 'REAL DEAL' HOLYFIELD
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MARTHA1; 09-16-2013, 06:07 AM.
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

You keep great company. Will enjoy seeing your pics.

Comment

• MARTHA1
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2013

Thank you & yes, I guess I do lucky for me that's a benefit of having a sports promoter as a friend, I will get the pictures up as soon as I get the chance..thanks again for the reply

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MARTHA1 View Post
        It's not often we are in the presence of greatness! but, I will be tomorrow as I am meeting one of my all-time sporting heroes 5 time world heavyweight champion evander holyfield...He's over here in the uk on a speaking tour & one of my friends who is a promoter is running the event..can't wait for this one!!! pics to follow soon!!!

You are living my dream. I was "supposed" to meet Evander at the Olympics, July 1996 in Atlanta. He and other past American Boxing greats were supposed to attend a planned banquet with the American Olympic Boxing Team on the one night they did not have boxing during the games. I was supposed to do a speed bag exhibition during the event. Unfortunately it was not to be - all activities cancelled after the tragic bombing at Centennial Park. I spent that week giving speed bag seminars to members of the international security staff, Many of them housed in Morehouse college. Met a lot of great folks from all over the world.

But I did get to see a week of Olympic competition, and got to see Michael Johnson run his semi-final heat of the 440. I took a picture of him (below) coming around the curve, just before he started his famous lean back. I guess my seat the day I saw him run was a few rows down from time 2:40-2:41 in this video of his win the night of the finals.

Since MJ attended Baylor (waco), he hosts the MJ track meet every year, and in 1997 I got him to autograph the picture.

Anyway, Evander always said he initially got into boxing because of fascination with the speed bag.

and all this, thanks to the speed bag

Say Hi to EH for me. I saw him ringside during some of the 1996 American Olympic boxing matches, but alas I was way up in the crowd.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Speedbag; 09-13-2013, 01:59 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MARTHA1
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Mar 2013

Hi..

Michael Johnson..an awesome athlete in his day..always reminded me of the late/great jesse owens when I saw Johnson run he always, I thought had a very 'majestic' style, but getting him to autograph the pic for you must have been a great experience for you & one no doubt I am sure you will treasure..interesting evander holyfield once said he got in to boxing because of a fascination with the speed bag!..ALI because his bike was once stolen! they all have their own little stories to tell of how they got on the path to greatness..i'll be sure to say hi to EH for you..Thanks for the reply

Comment

• MARTHA1
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Mar 2013

I thought about it but then I decided against it as I didn't think he would be able to match my speed & power lol

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...