Go Back   Speed Bag Forum > Speed bag discussion

Supporter Links & Advertisements

Speed bag discussion Speed bag technique, training, and equipment

Old 03-25-2018, 07:42 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

jrgalioto is on a distinguished road
Speeding up a ball hinge swivel

Is there any way to do it? I use WD-40 every so often on the one at my gym, but my bag just seems slow on it. I have a xxs title platinum atomic and a xs title super speed bag. The super speedbag is practically unusable, it's so heavy and slow. The platinum atomic is ok... If I over inflate it to about 6-7psi. But I haven't to replace the bladder to a quicktek bladder for it to last more than a day. The drum is heavy and sturdy. All I can think of is the swivel... As you can see in the photo, the drum is quite thick and very sturdy, so vibration is not a factor.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2018, 10:35 PM
Speed Bag Guru

jaja6009 is on a distinguished road
My opinion is that the ball hook is the problem. There are bags that would make that setup faster, but in my limited experience I have found that the ball hook is slower than a Ubolt or chainlink swivel on my own setup. When I first went to a ball hook after using a Ubolt, I found it much slower and less responsive. I even posted on here about it thinking that I must of done something wrong. I am so used to my ball hook that when I use the platform at work with a chain link swivel I find it a bit too quick at first until I get used to it.

Awesome platform you have there! It looks like a rock solid gem.

Last edited by jaja6009; 03-25-2018 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-26-2018, 07:28 AM
Speed Bag Trainee

That's kind of what I was afraid of. Oh yeah, the platform is perfect. It's probably, the better part of, a century old. They certainly don't make them like this anymore. There is a wheel that you crank to adjust the height like you are opening a valve. I haven't seen another one like this anywhere.

Old 03-26-2018, 05:44 PM
Speed Bag Historian

Dutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud ofDutchman has much to be proud of
What you have there is a Spalding professional platform. These were similar to the Narrengansett Machine Co. platforms, which were later made by Everlast. Yes, they are comparatively rare, I've only seen pics of a couple of these. Most of the Spalding platforms I've seen personally is like the one that Zaza has
Old 03-26-2018, 08:53 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
What you have there is a Spalding professional platform. These were similar to the Narrengansett Machine Co. platforms, which were later made by Everlast. Yes, they are comparatively rare, I've only seen pics of a couple of these. Most of the Spalding platforms I've seen personally is like the one that Zaza has
Thank you for that. I've only been bagging for a little over a year, so I'm still learning. I have to Google some of the models of bags/swivels etc. That the guys talk about in different threads. But I have no complaints with that platform other than the swivel. I've brought it up to the director to see about switching the style to a pin-hinge swivel, but apparently people used to steal the securing pin when they used to have one (which blows my mind). It's also an echo chamber in that room. But who am I to be picky?

Old 03-27-2018, 12:08 PM
Speed Bag Guru

Zaza is on a distinguished road
I don't know...I find the ball hook swivels to be the fastest. Have you thought about the bladders? Switching out to one of the Title orange bladders has added some real pep to a few bags of mine, might be worth a try? The Atomic bags are just too light for my taste...it's like hitting air!

Cheers,
Zaza
Old 03-27-2018, 12:45 PM
Speed Bag Guru

paranday is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaza View Post
I don't know...I find the ball hook swivels to be the fastest. Have you thought about the bladders? Switching out to one of the Title orange bladders has added some real pep to a few bags of mine, might be worth a try? The Atomic bags are just too light for my taste...it's like hitting air!

Cheers,
Zaza
Ball hook and eyebolt are all I hit. Can't complain about speed. SpeedBagSkunk makes ball hooks sizzle. Must be operator error if the speed is not fast.
Old 03-27-2018, 01:58 PM

Bag Man is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
Gonna respectfully disagree with you on that one. In my opinion that is a NMW platform circa early Twentieth Century.

Bag Man

Archie Moore
Old 03-27-2018, 03:32 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaza View Post

Cheers,
Zaza
I replaced the bladder the first time with the orange title bladder. It was definitely faster than the quicktek, but it didn't hold air very well. Is there a better lube that I could use? I've only ever tried WD-40. Maybe I'll upload a picture. My gym might just use bad swivels.

Edit: I just looked at my Amazon orders. Looks like I actually bought the orange ringside bladder, not the title. I'll give that a shot.

Last edited by jrgalioto; 03-27-2018 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 03:46 PM
Speed Bag Trainee

Maybe this will give some indication of the speed I get from the atomic.

https://youtu.be/5-2qBT_wBVw

Last edited by jrgalioto; 03-27-2018 at 03:52 PM.