• Show
Clear All
  • AndrewP
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

Help for a beginner.

Hey guys

My name is Andrew and im 17. Today I just purchased a Everlast heavy bag
    (100 pounds and leather) and I also picked up some Century Brand ' Leather wrap gloves' they look like the ones used in UFC. I tried the bag out today and when I took the gloves off I noticed that I tore up my knuckles pretty bad. I was wondering If my self (an ameture) needed to use a different type of glove like a non-open figered one or should I stick with mine and use a hand wrap before I put my gloves on. I was watching a video on how to wrap and it said it will prevent the knuckles from cutting but it never said if I should use both the hand wrap then put on the gloves.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and Thanks in advance.
  • Title Fight
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2009

I think you should use at least 12 oz gloves when hitting that heavy bag, and you should also wrap your hands as well.

HANDWRAPS: HOW TO GUIDE

Ringside IMF Techâ„¢ Bag Gloves

Hope that helps!

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I agree - wrap your hands. It's not just padding, it helps stabilize the bones in your hands when done properly. Also , use 10 oz or more bag gloves, make sure the gloves are specific for bag work, not sparring or fight gloves.

Also - alot of that Everlast stuff that you buy in stores is hard as a brick, hand injuries can be painful and take a long time to heal.

Comment

• AndrewP
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jun 2009

So was the type of bag I bought a mistake? I wen't into the store knowing nothing but the fact that punching a bag the wrong way can be dangerous, and walked out with a $200 dollar bag. I was just looking for an activity to help get me into shape and loose some weight over the summer.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by AndrewP View Post
          So was the type of bag I bought a mistake? I wen't into the store knowing nothing but the fact that punching a bag the wrong way can be dangerous, and walked out with a $200 dollar bag. I was just looking for an activity to help get me into shape and loose some weight over the summer.
          Depends. If with wraps and proper gloves it STILL hurts to hit it, I'd say take it back. A heavy bag is supposed to be heavy, not hard. A lot of the everlast stuff sold in retail stores is poor to useless (sad, but true). You can get much better by going online to Title Boxing and get some of their higher end products.

Comment

• ipunchadabag
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2009

ufc gloves are not very good for hittin the heavy bag i tried it for three mins and i notice my nuckles where gettin beat up. i use 16oz glove with evergel handwraps when hittin the heavy bag but if you want to use the ufc gloves use handwraps and dont hit the bag very hard or you will hurt your hands

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...