• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

Questions from beginners

Do I really need a bigger bag? Make your own jokes up. I did.

As a newbie to the bag, is a large bag even necessary? Reason I ask is, I've been at it for a month now with a Reyes medium 6-9 with a small and a mini to arrive this week. I am really happy with what I'm learning on the medium, it's going well but after a small amount of reading/research it really doesn't sound like I need a bigger bag in my collection if I've already cut my teeth on a 9-6.

Am I correct in this thinking?

thank ya
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo
  • riqal
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post

As a newbie to the bag, is a large bag even necessary? Reason I ask is, I've been at it for a month now with a Reyes medium 6-9 with a small and a mini to arrive this week. I am really happy with what I'm learning on the medium, it's going well but after a small amount of reading/research it really doesn't sound like I need a bigger bag in my collection if I've already cut my teeth on a 9-6.

thank ya
    I think you answered your own question. If you’re happy with your progress, a bigger bag might just end up being a waste of money. However, bigger bags can be usefull if you want to do some power punching or fist rolling. Bigger bags can give an great workout.

Comment

• REB
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jan 2017

thank ya

Need a big bag or no? I think that is a question you have to decide for yourself. And of course to do that, you need to hit on a big bag. I have in my collection of bags sizes that go from 4x7 to 12x16. And every size in between. My choice of bags to hit on the majority of my training are the big boys. Especially the 14 to 16 inch ones but that's just me. I experimented and decided for myself as to which size bags I like the best. I use the boxer style with U-bolt swivels only. I am not saying big bags are the best, but I will say I enjoy them the most so I hit what I enjoy. The experiment to find what you like ( if you truly want to know) can become costly
      Last edited by REB; 02-02-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

I'll reinforce what has been said, you can do just about everything with a large bag that you can do with the 6x9. You just do it slower, and it takes more power to keep it moving. It's all about what you want out of the workout.

Comment

• REB
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2017

it takes more power to keep it moving

I like what Duitchman said. I like the power building aspect of the big bag. However, the argument has been made that speed beats power. I dunno

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

There is large and then there is large. At the last gathering there was an Everlast 4213. Biggest bag there. People were kind of freaking out and laughing at it, saying it was HUGE! Only a few baggers messed around with it.

To me the 4213 is medium, and I can't handle the tiny ones. For the really big ones, I'd think you need very long arms to do the bible style. I dunno also.
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Jan 2018

..sooo, I better pick up a few more wall hooks while I'm at it.

Much appreciated, fella's. I'll do a little looking and reading on something larger than the 6-9. If I'm diving in I might as well dive all the way in.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                There is large and then there is large. At the last gathering there was an Everlast 4213. Biggest bag there. People were kind of freaking out and laughing at it, saying it was HUGE! Only a few baggers messed around with it.

To me the 4213 is medium, and I can't handle the tiny ones. For the really big ones, I'd think you need very long arms to do the bible style. I dunno also.
                True, I consider the 4213 a medium sized bag. Big is a 4207, or better yet the 4205. Currently my favorite is the A.J. Reach bag I have, which is considerably larger than the 4205. You can do bible style hitting with them, but you have to stand off to the side and not facing head on, at least unless you like getting smacked in the face...

Comment

• BagBoy
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Jan 2018

Originally posted by ventanakaz
                  Here's a video of a large bag.
                  https://youtu.be/v7dNrbs0v6A
                  Wow. Really nice! That definitely makes to argument for a large bag. I'll be watching that video again.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• BagBoy
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Jan 2018

Focusing on..

I've found that putting a piece of tape on the wall directly behind the bag and focusing on it while I'm still establishing my straight line has really helped. Sometimes I'll focus on the Cleto logo as it bounces back.

Any of you guys do any of these things when you started out?

My inane questions will one day be a thing of the past, but I really wanna know what you did and how you did in your first months of speed-bagging.

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• BagBoy
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2018

thread title change

I've found that putting a piece of tape on the wall directly behind the bag and focusing on it while I'm still establishing my straight line has really helped. Sometimes I'll focus on the Cleto logo as it bounces back.

Any of you guys do any of these things when you started out?

My inane questions will one day be a thing of the past, but I really wanna know what you did and how you did in your first months of speed-bagging.

..would it be possible to change the title of this thread to, Stupid Questions ?

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

I don't look at the bag, I watch the swivel.
                        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
                          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                          I don't look at the bag, I watch the swivel.
                          Me too. IF I look at the bag I have to remember to swing at the one in the middle.
                          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                          The Quest Continues...
                          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...