• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • novaspeedbagger
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2010

md challenge in slow motion

One of the forum members asked for a breakdown of this combo, so, I thought I'd post it in Slow mo! Explanations of the punches are welcomed!

The start of the combo is immediately after the fist roll and the first one on this clip is in the middle of the combo. I just wanted to add that to help clarify the start of the combination. It'll be fun to see how baggers interpret this one.

Keep on baggin and thanks for the request!
    Novaspeedbagger
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by novaspeedbagger View Post
    One of the forum members asked for a breakdown of this combo, so, I thought I'd post it in Slow mo!
    That would have been me! Thanks for doing this Nova, hugh help...it's hard for a noob like me to see what's going on.

This was my lame attempt...now I have go back to the drawing board...no... I take that back....the hitting board & try again.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
      That would have been me! Thanks for doing this Nova, hugh help...it's hard for a noob like me to see what's going on.

This was my lame attempt...now I have go back to the drawing board...no... I take that back....the hitting board & try again.
      I'm sure you'll have it mastered in no time. Enjoy the Journey!

Keep on Baggin!
      Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Thanks for the vid, Kerry. It's always nice to see the sequence in slo-mo (especially when you're an old fart like me ).

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Biff View Post
          Thanks for the vid, Kerry. It's always nice to see the sequence in slo-mo (especially when you're an old fart like me ).
          No worries Biff! I'm glad it helps! Too bad I just figured out how to do slow-mo after a year of posting!
          Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

One of the forum members asked for a breakdown of this combo, so, I thought I'd post it in Slow mo! Explanations of the punches are welcomed!

The start of the combo is immediately after the fist roll and the first one on this clip is in the middle of the combo. I just wanted to add that to help clarify the start of the combination. It'll be fun to see how baggers interpret this one.

Keep on baggin and thanks for the request!
            OK, I'll bite:

There are several ways you can analyze, describe or learn this combination of 11 separate techniques.

The quick interpretation:

7 Punch Front Fist Roll begin technique.
            Last fist of (F-Roll) should pass through to a Reverse Single Punch (RSP)

(F-Roll x7) ‘ ‘ (RSP) ‘’… R-L-R-L-R-L-R ‘ ‘ R ‘ ‘ …(actually Nova appears to be left handed and starts and ends with the left fist)

At this point you will have three Single Punches after two double punches, rotating the side of the bag

(RSP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘ (FCP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RSP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘* notice the Single Punches Rotate between the front and back of bag.

= R ‘ ‘ R-L ‘ ‘ L-R ‘ ‘ R ‘ ‘ R-L ‘ ‘ L-R ‘ ‘ R ‘ ‘ R-L ‘ ‘ L-R ‘ ‘ (F-Roll)

It also appears that Nova is adding a “pick up beat” on the Front Roll, using an 8 punch Roll, which rotates the last fist, so it may be a left fist or a right, but I notice the Single Punches are all done by the same fist. You can also look at it this way:

Three FDP ‘ ‘ RDP ‘ ‘ Single Punch Combinations between F-Rolls.

(RSP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘ (FCP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RSP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘
            *notice the Single Punches Rotate between the front and back of bag.

Now, just for fun, you can also do this with only Side Double Punches (SDP), using No FDP or RDP. After the RSP, just use SDP and some Side Single Punches (SSP).

(F-Roll x7) ‘ ‘ (RSP)…….

(RSP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ (SSP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ (SSP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ F-Roll,

You can also mix in RDP, FDP and SDP. Key is: After a RDP, you can go to either the FDP or SDP. Remember: FDP ‘ ‘ RDP ‘ ‘ SDP ‘ ‘ SDP…..
            Last edited by Speedbag; 06-07-2011, 04:44 PM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Aug 2010

Now I gotta interpret this...Ugh!

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              OK, I'll bite:

There are several ways you can analyze, describe or learn this combination of 11 separate techniques.

(F-Roll x7) ‘ ‘ (RSP) ‘’… R-L-R-L-R-L-R ‘ ‘ R ‘ ‘ …(actually Nova appears to be left handed and starts and ends with the left fist)

At this point you will have three Single Punches after two double punches, rotating the side of the bag

(RSP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘ (FCP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RSP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘* notice the Single Punches Rotate between the front and back of bag.

It also appears that Nova is adding a “pick up beat” on the Front Roll, using an 8 punch Roll, which rotates the last fist, so it may be a left fist or a right, but I notice the Single Punches are all done by the same fist. You can also look at it this way:

(RSP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘ (FCP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘(RSP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘

Now, just for fun, you can also do this with only Side Double Punches (SDP), using No FDP or RDP. After the RSP, just use SDP and some Side Single Punches (SSP).

(F-Roll x7) ‘ ‘ (RSP)…….

(RSP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ (SSP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ (SSP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ (SDP) ‘ ‘ F-Roll,

You can also mix in RDP, FDP and SDP. Key is: After a RDP, you can go to either the FDP or SDP. Remember: FDP ‘ ‘ RDP ‘ ‘ SDP ‘ ‘ SDP…..
              I'll have to study this for awhile Alan and experiment with it. Looks like fun though and will definitely give me more variation, so, thanks for the insight.
              Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• newbagger
                • May 2010

Thanks for the slo-mo, Nova. It is very helpful. I hope you'll post more slo-mo's in the future.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I'll have to study this for awhile Alan and experiment with it. Looks like fun though and will definitely give me more variation, so, thanks for the insight.
                  For you, the most important part is realizing that after a RDP you can always do a FDP or SDP. Then work on the lead fist of the SDP, which is really a FCP, passing to a Side Single Punch (SSP). so....

This Combo: RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP. ' ' ' ... repeat.

R-L (RDP) ' ' L-R (SDP) ' ' L (SSP) ' ' ' ...repeat.

* Notice the Second fist L of the RDP passes to front to lead the SDP. The lead fist of the RDP hits and veers forward and off to the side in position to come in as the second fist of the SDP. If you get this move than you will be able to move the "MD combo" all around that bag with FDP, RDP or SDP.

OK, also try this:

SDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP ' '....repeat. notice the lead fist of the SDP just hits a SSP and returns to the front of the bag to lead another SDP. The Second fist of the SDP hits the bag and recircles out to the same side waiting to enter as the second fist of the SDP. This should be pretty easy for you.
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 06-07-2011, 08:29 PM.
                  Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ExEODCDR
                    • Apr 2011

OK ... I feel like I'm in the movie "The Matrix" -- ... A crazy slow-mo video... Nova's crazy fists pounding away... followed by all these letters, dashes, and dots flowing across my screen, ...as I try and decipher the code to this rhythm...

... is it just me?!?!?!

... ZaZa -- are you getting this?!?! It's the intro to your speed bag movie -- with an All-Star cast including Alan Kahn playing "Morpheus", Nova as himself (that's a cool "Matrix" name!!), Mrs Mitts as "Trinity" (you need a leading lady who can do some serious bagging), Tim as your Operator "Dozer", MetalDad as "Tank" and Ebozyn as "Neo" (it's the hoodie!!) ... I can work the pyro and explosions, just add some bullets and a chase scene and it's a block buster!!! No doubt!!

Last edited by ExEODCDR; 06-07-2011, 09:12 PM.
                    -
                    Owner/Operator
                    www.TheBlastingCabinet.com

LIKE on Facebook @ www.Facebook.com/TheBlastingCabinet

Comment

• Zaza
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by ExEODCDR View Post
                      OK ... I feel like I'm in the movie "The Matrix" -- ... A crazy slow-mo video... Nova's crazy fists pounding away... followed by all these letters, dashes, and dots flowing across my screen, ...as I try and decipher the code to this rhythm...

... is it just me?!?!?!

... ZaZa -- are you getting this?!?! It's the intro to your speed bag movie -- with an All-Star cast including Alan Kahn playing "Morpheus", Nova as himself (that's a cool "Matrix" name!!), Mrs Mitts as "Trinity" (you need a leading lady who can do some serious bagging), Tim as your Operator "Dozer", MetalDad as "Tank" and Ebozyn as "Neo" (it's the hoodie!!) ... I can work the pyro and explosions, just add some bullets and a chase scene and it's a block buster!!! No doubt!!

LMAO! OMG, this has to be the best post ever. I'm seeing a new twist in my film storyboards now.

I'm a little slow, but yes, I do get it and that's because of the bible (and the super secret decoder ring that's included with each copy). If you haven't picked up a copy, do so...Alan will open your eyes, ears and anything else that needs it!

...still laughing.... you nailed the characters...
                      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Aug 2010

Lmao!

Originally posted by ExEODCDR View Post

... is it just me?!?!?!

I love the idea, just a bit squeemish about getting one of those programing spike connections stuck into the back of my neck Gotta get a long black leather bagging jacket and some shades

Originally posted by newbagger View Post
                        Thanks for the slo-mo, Nova. It is very helpful. I hope you'll post more slo-mo's in the future.
                        I'd be glad to oblige with some future slo-mo posts.....and don't forget to use the Speed Bag Bible DVD as a Tool for practicing new skills. That's my main resource for combo's as well as the forum and youtube. But there's a lifetime of work in Alan's Book and DVD
                        Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• novaspeedbagger
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Aug 2010

I did my Home work!

For you, the most important part is realizing that after a RDP you can always do a FDP or SDP. Then work on the lead fist of the SDP, which is really a FCP, passing to a Side Single Punch (SSP). so....

This Combo: RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP. ' ' ' ... repeat.

R-L (RDP) ' ' L-R (SDP) ' ' L (SSP) ' ' ' ...repeat.

* Notice the Second fist L of the RDP passes to front to lead the SDP. The lead fist of the RDP hits and veers forward and off to the side in position to come in as the second fist of the SDP. If you get this move than you will be able to move the "MD combo" all around that bag with FDP, RDP or SDP.

OK, also try this:

SDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP ' ' SSP ' '....repeat. notice the lead fist of the SDP just hits a SSP and returns to the front of the bag to lead another SDP. The Second fist of the SDP hits the bag and recircles out to the same side waiting to enter as the second fist of the SDP. This should be pretty easy for you.
                          Alan, I worked on these suggestions of yours today. I definitely feel like another door has opened up and I'll give the suggestions you made in the previous reply to this post either tonight or tomorrow. I really appreciate the time you took to lay this out. In the context of what I am attempting presently. I'll let you know how I'm progressing!

I even tried it with a FSP instead of the SSP which requires a little more of a shift of the body and more roll of the fist. Just like you demonstrate on your DVD. I will continue to practice till I can move the md challenge all about the bag like you suggest!

Your are a brilliant teacher!
                          Novaspeedbagger

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Alan, I worked on these suggestions of yours today. I definitely feel like another door has opened up and I'll give the suggestions you made in the previous reply to this post either tonight or tomorrow. I really appreciate the time you took to lay this out. In the context of what I am attempting presently. I'll let you know how I'm progressing!

I even tried it with a FSP instead of the SSP which requires a little more of a shift of the body and more roll of the fist. Just like you demonstrate on your DVD. I will continue to practice till I can move the md challenge all about the bag like you suggest!

Your are a brilliant teacher!
                            Yes you can often substitute a FSP for a SSP for they both contact the bag in the same angle of the rebound and both movements travel in basically the same direction. Now your thinking with your dipstick.....
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PIEFURZ
                              Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

OK, I'll bite:

(RSP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘ (FCP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RSP) ‘ ‘ (FDP) ‘ ‘ (RDP) ‘ ‘

(F-Roll x7) ‘ ‘ (RSP)…….

LOL, I read this much like when reading the news paper with a lot of foreign names I can't pronounce. I figure they don't make much difference to the content of the story so I go like this. Hit the bag bla bla bla then strike the bag from the rear bla bla bla. Sorry but I guess if I were Nova and knew the punching routine or the wizard that Alan is and can dissect a routine it would easily fall into place. Can't wait to see you guys at SB2011!!! BTW my spell checker suggest that someone has a stu ' ' stu ' ' stu ' ' stuttering problem. LMAO. But that maybe you can rebound from it. LOL, let me stop poking fun.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...